Friday Thoughts... 5D, 5D II, Other Brands, Etc

Name
April 2008
Edit My Images
No
It's a Friday, and as I sit eating my sandwich, my thoughts inevitably turn to photography. In my thoughts this week...

Everyone says the Canon 5D I, a great camera, but needs good glass. What is 'good' glass. Presumably an 'L' is good, so a Canon 24-70 L would be 'good'. What about a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8? Is that 'good', or 'mediocre', or 'crap'?

Could you use a Canon 5D I with 'not-so-good' lenses? Would it be a halfway measure, or a complete waste of time? For the cost of a 5D I and a 'good' lens you could get a 5D II body only. Hmmm! :)

But then, if you need to replace all lenses with 'good' ones, are there alternative body options on the darkside to consider... :whispers: nikon?

:thinking:

Depends what you want. I personally use 85mm f/1.8 on my 5D nearly always, which was only about £200. 24-105mm F4L meanwhile rarely sees the light of day.

I only have two lenses to use on my 5D - a 300mm L, and nifty fifty.

Both are perfect but personally, knowing how much the 5D cost me, I'll never use anything less than an 'L' on it.

Well of course you could use not-so-good lenses on your 5D, but then there's very little point in having the 5D... Why get a great camera then not use it to it's full potential by putting cheap glass in front of it? Just my views though (I've got a cheap camera AND cheap glass, so it's fine ;) )

Chris

I only have two lenses to use on my 5D - a 300mm L, and nifty fifty.

Both are perfect but personally, knowing how much the 5D cost me, I'll never use anything less than an 'L' on it.

Did you just say you use a nifty fifty on it but never use anything less then 'L' glass on it? :LOL:

Personally, if you bought a 5d, you could use your "cheaper" (im not going to grade the glass because of the brand) lenses on it till you get cash to afford the better lenses. The price difference between the Canon and Sigma 24-70 is crazy and i dont think its worth the difference for most people.

I know what I meant :)

Besides, the nifty doesn't come in L variety and is as optically good as some other L's.

Ok, so nothing less than an L EXCEPT the nifty I already own, hows that :)

50mm 1.2 L ;) I dont use just L glass on my 5d ( but I would like to :D ) and to be honest I think most people may struggle to see thew difference. I tried a m8's sigma 55-250 and thought it was a great bit of kit

I know what I meant :)

Besides, the nifty doesn't come in L variety and is as optically good as some other L's.

Ok, so nothing less than an L EXCEPT the nifty I already own, hows that :)

:LOL: Only pulling your leg mate. From what i hear, the NF is like L glass in crap housing :LOL:

Well of course you could use not-so-good lenses... Why get a great camera then not use it to it's full potential by putting cheap glass in front of it?

Not really a serious consideration at the moment. Was just really munching my sarnie and wondering again what kind of upgrade path I might take when the time comes.

And I cant ever see myself having the money to be able to move over to FF if it means buying 'L' lenses at the same time. If it can be done gradually, then it becomes a possibility.

50mm lens reached optimum with Leica back in about 1947. They are all just minor variations of that formula, so cost next to nothing.

OP? Buy a 50D, invest in L glass for THAT, THEN buy a 1D. Forget 5D...

Back