Friday's sunset (12/5/08)

Name
Rocky
Edit My Images
No
i was out with my camera taking advantage of a late-afternoon sun break (living here in western Washington, you learn to make the most of any glimpse of sun this time of year!), and i noticed the clouds looked like they might make for a nice sunset. i'd pretty much lost interest in sunset shots, hadn't taken any for a long time, but i figured i'd pop over to a waterfront park near my home and see what Mother Nature had in store. i'm glad i did - the sunset was spectacular! Canon 5D with Tamron SP24-135 lens at 24mm, various exposures...

IMG_6115sm.jpg

IMG_6124_filteredsm.jpg

IMG_6127sm.jpg

I like them, the first one has the best composition, but the others lack any focus really.

Also the last one needs white balancing, it's too orange.

I like them, the first one has the best composition, but the others lack any focus really. Also the last one needs white balancing, it's too orange.

actually, the white balance is okay. that's the color of the sky... it all depends on where you take your metering from. i intentionally metered this on the brightest spot in the sky, which tends to make everything else darker and the colors deeper and more saturated.

in these, the cloud formations and colors are the focus...

A little too orange, white balance off or not. You also have a nasty dust bunny which can be seen on the top left of the 3rd.

dang it, i hate those dust-bunnies! i thought i'd got rid of 'em all... :(

the orange is just the color of the clouds. if i'd metered on them, instead of on the bright spot right above the horizon, it would have produced much less color. i suppose i could tone down the saturation a bit... then again, i do like the "fire in the sky" look....

Another great set from you, Squirl033. Love the colors and clouds. I haven't seen too much from you recently...glad to have caught these.

Last edited:
hi Hunter,

yeah, the weather socks in about the end of October, and i don't get nearly as many opportunities to get out and shoot as i'd like... that's the problem with living where i do... :( but for now at least, i'm kinda stuck here, 'cause this is where my job is, and i'm at the age where moving on and trying to start a new job somewhere else would be awful tough... especially with the economy in the tank! but i get out when i can, and shoot what i can... ;)

Yep, lovely images, great skies and IMO no need to tone them down. But I do like bright, fiery skies.

Andy

hi Hunter,

yeah, the weather socks in about the end of October, and i don't get nearly as many opportunities to get out and shoot as i'd like... that's the problem with living where i do... :( but for now at least, i'm kinda stuck here, 'cause this is where my job is, and i'm at the age where moving on and trying to start a new job somewhere else would be awful tough... especially with the economy in the tank! but i get out when i can, and shoot what i can... ;)

Same thing in my part of the world. November and December tend to be loaded with heavy overcast, gray and dreary days with flat light and little of interest to photograph. I've taken many shots recently, not one turned out to be something I'd want to post! :crying: Still...one keeps trying. :LOL:

Back