Fringer.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Bit of a story, but I'll keep it short. I've been wanting a back up to my 5D for sometime now. I have my old 7D, which I've given up on as whilst I have gotten better results with it recently, it's never going to give me the clean images I want, especially with low light hide work. I fancied an M5 or M50 to replace the 7D but that would involve the extra expense of an adapter for my EF glass. I decided to wait for the M5mk2 but it doesn't look like it's coming, seemingly 'replaced' by the M6mk2, which looks like a great little camera on paper, but £869 and no EVF. 90D ?, underwhelming I think.

I've thought about a second hand M5 or M50, with an adaptor, would be roughly around the £400-£500 mark, dependding on condition, this is a viable option.

But, I have a Fuji X-T10, that I hardly use. My longest lens for that is a 50-230, which is a great little lens and sharp as a tack. It's not quite enough reach though, especially at the hide. I'm not wanting to spend £1k plus on the 100-400, even second hand.

Which brings me to the Fringer adapter. It would allow me to use all my current Canon glass. The X-T10, even with the adapter fited, would take up very little space in my bag but it would mainly be used in my hide with Canon glass on it, especially the 100-400L. I've read the reviews on the Fringer, all seems good and they've been around a while. There's usually some compromise with adapters which I accept but the Fringer does look very good.

So options for me at the moment are, M5, M50, or wait a while on the M6mk2 coming down in price (maybe even grey if need be) , or the Fringer on my T10, with L.

Anybody have/had/used a Fringer?

ta much. :)

There's a few on here that use the fringer, I just sold mine recently. I was only using it with cheap old lenses for fun but I've seen people post about using it with tele lenses and getting great results. Fringer have updated the firmware pretty consistently over the past few years and the latest patches see many lenses behave just as good as native. You could look around for a fringer mk1, they can be had for less then £200 now and the FW is right up with the mkII for the moment. They may stop updates for that and continue on with the mkII, I don't know that for sure but I'd assume they'd prefer people to opt for the newer version. The mkII is £300 or more, and afaik the only real change was to the aperture ring, making it more comfortable to us, and they improved the inner coating of the adapter - some mk1 users complained about flaring in certain situations. I never experienced it personally.

Thanks for that both.

Interesting.

I fancied an M5 or M50 to replace the 7D but that would involve the extra expense of an adapter for my EF glass. I decided to wait for the M5mk2 but it doesn't look like it's coming, seemingly 'replaced' by the M6mk2, which looks like a great little camera on paper, but £869 and no EVF. 90D ?, underwhelming I think.

Couple of points. Firstly you dont need to get a genuine Canon adapter, The Meike version for example is just as good and costs between £20 and £25.
Secondly, the info that the M6 mk2 is replacing the M5 all stems from one comment by a Canon USA representative at the M6 mk2 launch in the US. It has not been confirmed or denied by Canon themselves and several other regions have denied this is the case. Only time will tell on this one?

Couple of points. Firstly you dont need to get a genuine Canon adapter, The Meike version for example is just as good and costs between £20 and £25.
Secondly, the info that the M6 mk2 is replacing the M5 all stems from one comment by a Canon USA representative at the M6 mk2 launch in the US. It has not been confirmed or denied by Canon themselves and several other regions have denied this is the case. Only time will tell on this one?

I've looked at third party adapters just yesterday, it does seem a much chepaer route and they seem to function well, as good as the Canon one. So I could get all set up Canon, mirrorless crop for under £400.

I can't bring myself to sell the T-10, it's just alovely camera, even to look at. I could use one of my Fuji lenses though to part finace the Canon.

After having slept on it a for a few nights and taken onboard the comments here, I think I would choose a Canon mirrorless crop body over the Fringer.

I persoanlly think Canon will bring the M5mkii.

Back