Wild Frogs of Costa Rica

dragonfly

Advertiser
Name
Des
Edit My Images
No
1) Red-eyed Tree Frog (Agalychnis callidryas)
2) Masked Tree Frog (Smilisca phaeota)
3) Strawberry Poison-dart Frog (Oophaga pumilio)
4) Green-and-black Poison Dart Frog (Dendrobates auratus)
5&6) Ghost Glass Frog (Sachatamia ilex)

redeyed.jpg

mask.jpg

strawberry.jpg

black&green.jpg

glass01.jpg

glass02.jpg

Lovely set Des, #1 is stunning (y)

Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. :)

I like the " blue jeans Des. thanks for sharing, ................we breed some morphs of pumillio and auratus.................the Oophaga life cycle is something special Des, the mum lays infertile eggs for the tads to eat...that is all they eat!! She carries them on her back to her choosen depo site which might be 200foot up a tree. How on earth can a 1inch frog have the mental capacity to remember where they are,she might have 6 on the go at once. I find them astounding Des, the little ones know us inside a week and they are so small they can sit on my little finger nail, amazing animals

Beautiful images and no small amount of jealousy that they are made in the wild,fab mate just fab !!

again cheers for sharing,a bit special to me this set

stu

Here's another 'Blue-jean' for you, @Stuart Philpott . This was a different location but on the grounds of the lodge again. It was early in the morning this time and I found it in the middle of the track. Worried for its safety, I picked up a leaf and transferred it to the nearby vegetation that it was facing.

About 15+ years ago I tried to keep a D. auratus but was unsuccessful. So vowed not to do it again. Glad to hear that your experience is the complete opposite. I love all Dendrobates and Mantellas and have been fortunate enough to photograph a few species of both. The convergent evolution that occurs between these two groups is uncanny.

Nothing compares to seeing animals in their wild habitats. I'll post a few more tropical herps since there are a couple here that like seeing them.

strawberry02.jpg

Super set

Des, thanks for the reply and the extra image and yes I'm sure many of us would love to see more, thank you in advance. The very first frog we bred ironically was a superblue auratus, aye We have done ok We got our first leucs feb 2011 5 of them ..................they are all still here, We have even managed to hand rear the large oophaga on other frog eggs which was a fascinating and rewarding process, little tadpoles dancing for their food when spoken to,stunned me.

Funny isn't it what you mentioned about them in their habitat, I hardly ever make images of them , preferring to chase my hares or deer, hopefully one day when I have more time that might change as we have some real little crackers here

take care

stu

Back