From a £350 HP laptop to a Macbook Pro ... worth it?

I'm probably as much of a Mac fan as you're ever likely to find, but I'd have to say that the money might be better invested in camera gear first, so long as your current computer cuts the mustard.

Not sure how much I can help as I do not use a Mac.

However, I don't think I have heard anyone who owns one who does not like it.

But, £1200 is a hell of a lot of money to spend to help you to edit photos.

Is a portable device essential? If not, then you would not need to spend anywhere that amount to get a very good PC.

Even if you need something portable I think some highish end Windows based laptops will do the job.

Have also heard that laptops are not that good for editing.

Dave

I love my Mac! Stunning build quality and OS is supreme to W7 in every way! People are put off by the price but I can't fault mine! I have a Mac book pro 13 by the way.

I must admit though, maybe spend the money on camera kit and glass first though.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with Neil. Spending a decent amount of money on any laptop , from a reliable manufacturer, will give you a machine much better than a £350 unit.

I've had models from IBM ( very rugged) Compaq and Toshiba. None of then cheap but with the exception of the IBM ( just too old and slow) all are still running. So you spends your money and takes your choice. And yes I do own Macs, including a MacBook Pro. Would I still buy a Mac, Probably, but it would have to justify it's price tag.

Remember Macs tend to have a much better residual value than most other machines so you will still get a reasonable price for it after 3-4 years

Get the Mac, you will never look back and it will last years, my last one lasted 8 years till i spilt coffee all over it but at least the insurance paid up and i got a nice shiney new one.

One thing to note is that in 8 years i never had a virus despite never having anti virus installed and it never let me down.

Chappers said:
I tend to agree with Neil. Spending a decent amount of money on any laptop , from a reliable manufacturer, will give you a machine much better than a £350 unit.

I've had models from IBM ( very rugged) Compaq and Toshiba. None of then cheap but with the exception of the IBM ( just too old and slow) all are still running. So you spends your money and takes your choice. And yes I do own Macs, including a MacBook Pro. Would I still buy a Mac, Probably, but it would have to justify it's price tag.

Remember Macs tend to have a much better residual value than most other machines so you will still get a reasonable price for it after 3-4 years

Indeed, we have dell laptops at work that are easily 6 years old. While they're not amazing spec any more and are generally being retired for that reason, they have lasted because at the time they were 900-1000 laptops with mag chassis. Generally the only thing that will kill them is being dropped from height or tipping an entire hot cup of sugary coffee into it's keyboard (cough) but dells accidental cover is excellent..

In not anti apple but the people screaming "get a mac they're so much more reliable" forget that the parts apple source will often come from the same factories that other manufactures use so they're no less vulnerable to hardware failure. Os is subjective, it's certainly a personal preference point, but thats all it is. The os isn't magically more stable than the other, both do exactly the same thing as the other, both have quirks but w7 has levelled the playing field with performance and stability.

Will a 1000 laptop be better than a 350? Of course it will, its a no brainer, it doesn't matter what platform it is. At the end of the say it's the op choice but id say go and try some macs and also some equally priced/spec'd w7 laptops and see what they prefer.

I'll echo the thoughts here. £1200 on a MBP is a lot to spend. Personally, I'd find a 13" too small to edit on, so would need 15" which starts at £1549.

My Dell XPS is better spec'd than the 15" MBP (same processor but it has full HD screen, 750G 7200RPM disk 8G memory) and cost £910 delivered. It is WAY faster than the £450 17" laptop it replaced.

I would shop about prior to splashing the cash on a MBP- You can get a better specs from a normal laptop with a bigger screen for that price!!

It's a lot to spend. I love mine, despite it being broken and totally buggered in the looks department, but I honestly believe if it was a £300 PC it would have gone the way of the boot long ago.

You need to work out why you want to upgrade. Is it the easier OS interface? Have you reached max RAm (etc) with your HP? Is the screen on your HP not up to scratch?

A computer is a computer is a computer if you simply want a screen, a HD and some software. I'm sure there are some high-end Windows laptops like this Viaos that can rival the MBP in the looks dept and what not, but will it have that certain something you get from a mac?....

I have the new 17" MacBook for the screen size and resolution for editing my pictures and it's perfect, I've tried 17" laptops and they just don't cut it.

Yes the 17" is expensive but i do a lot of traveling and I dock the laptop at home with a cinema display, so effectively it's my home and away pc.

Mac for realibility when your using them for a work related items beats any pc IMO

I also have a oc for gaming, but I wouldn't trust it for work

Back