From a Fuji X10 to a...?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

I tend to try to buy nice cameras and keep them for a fair while, so I don’t really follow all the latest releases.

I use a Canon 6D (the original one), a Voigtlander Bessa iii, a Nikon FM3a, and if I have to, an iPhone SE, but I’d like suggestions for a replacement for my Fuji X10.

I love the viewfinder, the manual control, the proper zoom ring, the size, and the image quality, but it’s getting on a bit.

I’d like something with an optical viewfinder if possible, short zoom, and if possible decent low light capabilities.

It’d be used as everyday carry for dog walks, some close-up nature stuff, and possibly portraits in an orphanage where I volunteer if I decide to leave the 6D at home and take the Voigtlander medium format folder and a smaller digital option.

Where should I start looking?

Many thanks,

Andy

If you want an optical viewfinder yoyr options are a bit limited, you have the X100 series newest being the X100V,but with a fixed 35mm f2 lens, or the X-Pro series currently up to X-Pro3 which is an interchangeble lens system.
For compact size a good image quality you could also look at a Panasonic LX100 mk 1 or 2.
I would probably suggest the X-E3 with the stunning XF 18-55mm zoom, no OVF but a decent evf, pretty compact and great image quality.

I would concur with Ian,my walkabout kit is an xe-2 with an 18-55 and its increasingly becoming my goto gear.
You can put it together for a quite reasonable amount.
Best of luck

I've had most of the baby X Fujis - X-F1, X 10, 20 and 30 and still use the 30 a fair bit but my current walkabout compact is a Sony RX-100 III. It gets taken out more than the baby Fuji because it slips into a shirt pocket (which the Fuji doesn't, although the X-F1 did). It has a pop up EVF and a flip screen. No true OVF but the EVF is very good.

I have the X10 (although my dad uses it now), and replaced it with a Panasonic LX100 so that’s my recommendation. It’s not got the twisting zoom lens (why has no one else done this on a compact?), but it’s a bigger sensor, wider angle lens and the video is light years better if that’s important to you. It’s a very complete package, and the Mk2 is even more compete but somewhat pricey.

Whats the X-E2 or 3 with the XC15-45 like for low light and/or raising ISO? Im toying with small set up

Thanks everyone so far.

I like the look of that Panasonic - I’m really after a high quality compact rather than a new interchangeable lens system, I think.

The Panasonic looks a LOT like the X10 from the back and top. Any comments on the touchscreen? It’s not something I’ve ever tried on a camera, and I can’t say it appeals...

The XE-2 with the XF 18-55 weighs 700 grms , if you want smaller and lighter stick the 27mm f2.8 on it then its 450 grms, pop a couple of extn tubes in your pocket and you have a pretty decent macro set up.

ive got the 18-55 on the XT3. I wanted a small low cost option to take paddleboarding either handheld or on a small gorilla pod. Dont want to spend huge amount in case it goes swimming

Thanks everyone so far.

I like the look of that Panasonic - I’m really after a high quality compact rather than a new interchangeable lens system, I think.

The Panasonic looks a LOT like the X10 from the back and top. Any comments on the touchscreen? It’s not something I’ve ever tried on a camera, and I can’t say it appeals...

I have the Panny as well as the baby Xs and the Sony RX 100 III. I really don't like the touch screen - when I bring the camera to my eye to frame a shot (as a contact lens wearer, I have to do this as it's way quicker than faffing around with reading glasses!) I almost always switch the focus point to the lower left corner with my nose... Lots of the functions are a PITA to access via the menus rather than the touch screen so it almost has to stay on. The Sony gives better IQ too IME. (TBH, I wish there was a Fuji that would fit a shirt pocket - although the Sony's ultimate IQ is better than the X-30's, I prefer the look of the Fuji's files but pocketability wins out.)

why not continue to use the X10 if it is still working. it is a very capable camera..
I have the X10,X20 X30 and of those the X30 is the nicest to use.
I also have the xE2 and An X T30. the XT30 creates the finest image but is larger and heavier than the others.
My X30 is my walkabout camera.

I don’t understand this crazy talk about “keep using the X10”!
I thought photography forums were so we could encourage each other to buy cameras and lenses, not use them.
Seriously though, it is a great camera, but it has it's limitations. Mine occasionally fails to record a file when it seems to have taken the picture, the autofocus can be unreliable when using the optical viewfinder, and it’s not the best indoors (I hate using flash).
I really want a Leica M10, probably the M10-D. Just don’t have the best part of seven grand kicking about.

Back