Critique From a recent wedding

• Thread starter Deleted sulking member 63079
  • Start date
D

Deleted sulking member 63079

Critique Welcome, still fairly new to the game, so always looking for places I can improve.

ADP4006.jpg

ADP3998.jpg

ADP3953.jpg

ADP3972.jpg

Image 2 & 3 go together well... lol... looks like a brides head on a blue suit. :)

Lovely images!

Nice photos. The biggest thing that signs out. I don't know who the bride is till the last photo

Nice photos. The biggest thing that signs out. I don't know who the bride is till the last photo

Fair point :) The bride isn't getting all of her photos until tomorrow though, so I've only shared a few publicly so far. Will post a bigger set once she has them.

Image 2 & 3 go together well... lol... looks like a brides head on a blue suit. :)

Lovely images!

That's exactly what I thought scrolling down. The suit complements her eyes nicely!

Nice sharp images with great colours. To offer some (being picky) crit the first two have the subjects looking out of frame rather than into "space" and although the backgrounds are nicely blurred they are a little cluttered (which it may not have been possible to avoid). Nice moment captured in the first though, especially with the tear.

Is the guy in the blue suit shy? Not really getting this one.

In the last one, the groom looks like he's made the biggest mistake of his life and the woman near his elbow looks like she's in agreement with the groom. If this was shot from higher up the groom wouldn't have a lighting rig cutting across his head in the background and you may have got the "Just Married" bunting in the shot instead.

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination so I'm probably taking b0ll0x so feel free to ignore!

Simple cropping (10x8 ratio) to focus on the subject and remove the background distractions (hope you don't mind, you have "yes" for edit my pictures).

Not my pic_TP edit 1 by Ian J Bradshaw, on Flickr

Not my pic_TP edit 2 by Ian J Bradshaw, on Flickr

Last edited:
First one's very well caught, second one's fair enough, blue suit needs that hand in the bottom left and the slice of head top left quickly cloning out. With the last, either zap the guy on the right who looks pi$$ed or crop it like this?

crop_zpsxd28f54f.jpg

Let's be seeing the finished product soon then ...

Thanks for the feedback :) Will take some of the suggestions on board and make some more edits tonight. This was only my 3rd wedding shoot, so happy with the results. But need to get better at spotting things like mentioned above!

That's exactly what I thought scrolling down. The suit complements her eyes nicely!

Nice sharp images with great colours. To offer some (being picky) crit the first two have the subjects looking out of frame rather than into "space" and although the backgrounds are nicely blurred they are a little cluttered (which it may not have been possible to avoid). Nice moment captured in the first though, especially with the tear.

Is the guy in the blue suit shy? Not really getting this one.

In the last one, the groom looks like he's made the biggest mistake of his life and the woman near his elbow looks like she's in agreement with the groom. If this was shot from higher up the groom wouldn't have a lighting rig cutting across his head in the background and you may have got the "Just Married" bunting in the shot instead.

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination so I'm probably taking b0ll0x so feel free to ignore!

Simple cropping (10x8 ratio) to focus on the subject and remove the background distractions (hope you don't mind, you have "yes" for edit my pictures).

Not my pic_TP edit 1 by Ian J Bradshaw, on Flickr

Not my pic_TP edit 2 by Ian J Bradshaw, on Flickr

I prefer the originals if I'm honest?

I prefer the originals if I'm honest?

I'm sure you do, and that's the point of the Forum isn't it, to provide your own thoughts on the images people post for critique? I find the backgrounds in the originals a little distracting, and I thought the crops improved the composition and make the images have more impact. For me, it's the ladies eyes that are the focal point in both of these images. These are only my thoughts, I prefer tight crops - that's just my opinion. Others, as you do, will have their opinions too. I'm just offering my point of view and as I said in my original post, I'm probably talking b0ll0x anyway. :)

not entirely sure the crop one of the above done on the image is ok, as lots of the head got taken out.

but lovely set of images and just some cropping required in post process.

also I was a bit thrown by 1st and 2nd image that the same person all of the sudden changed eye colour. I take it they are all sisters?

not entirely sure the crop one of the above done on the image is ok, as lots of the head got taken out.

but lovely set of images and just some cropping required in post process.

also I was a bit thrown by 1st and 2nd image that the same person all of the sudden changed eye colour. I take it they are all sisters?

Not related at all.

Finishing off the edits tonight and then delivering to clients tomorrow evening.

I'm going to keep the original crops of the girls, I know the backgrounds might be busy forsome, but I prefer the wider crop. Noisy background couldn't be avoided with how little space I had to move during the ceremony.

I'm cropping the guys face off the left of the other though and I'll edit the hand and face out of the one of the blue suit. So thanks for the input everyone :)

Noisy background couldn't be avoided with how little space I had to move during the ceremony.

Noisy backgrounds bother snappers far more than they bother customers. From a professional wedding photography POV, busy backgrounds are one thing. Anything obvious which intrudes into or distracts from the impact or message of a picture is another - especially if it can easily be sorted ;)

Last edited:
Cracking shots,i love the first one.:):clap:

Well, just handed the USB over to the client in one of Folio's Portfolio cases, so will get the couples feedback soon, and a few more images posted on the blog :)

Well done on your third wedding (y)

The only thing I'd add to what's already been said is the girl with the blue eyes. Unless it's my monitor, they look completely overdone in post.

Well done on your third wedding (y)

The only thing I'd add to what's already been said is the girl with the blue eyes. Unless it's my monitor, they look completely overdone in post.

Yeah, I think I was a bit heavy handed with the high pass filter on the eyes on that one. I didn't bother with it in the copies given to the couple.

Had a booking straight off the back of posting some of these images on my blog as well.

Back