From Behind the Clouds

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks :wave:

I'm relatively new here, and in fact this is my first post, so I thought I'd start with a recent capture. I went through to the west coast of Scotland on Monday night, as weather wise it was the only decent night forecast this week.

This shot was taken at the end of a single track road, a few miles south of Arisaig. The lack of cloud actually made it a bit tricky, so I had to make do with the little bit of cloud I had! :)

All comments/criticism most welcome and thanks for taking a look.

img_6679.jpg

Cheers,
Graham

Last edited:
yes, great composition-love the stone (y)
and as was said-welcome to TP:)

that almost looks like arctic tundra

Very nice Graham.

Just straighten that horizon would you please? ;)

It totally peed down the last time I was that way. No lack of clouds then :)

Not sure, I think the burnout of the sun is a little too strong, otherwise a great scene. Welcome along to TP by the way.

Thanks for the welcome JPS. I must admit I was/am concerned about the blown area around the sun but hoped the rest of the composition might be strong enough to carry it. I'm still on the fence about this so it's good to hear your views on it.

yes, great composition-love the stone (y)
and as was said-welcome to TP:)

that almost looks like arctic tundra

Cheers Lateralus, in the winter it can certainly feel like the arctic tundra, that's for sure! :LOL: :D

Very nice Graham.

Just straighten that horizon would you please? ;)

It totally peed down the last time I was that way. No lack of clouds then :)

Thanks Brian, rain over the west coast is certainly more common than anything else, so you can imagine my incredulity when I found the sky lacking in cloud! :eek:

Boy you have a keen eye for straight horizons, as it was only out by a wisker, but indeed it was out! Thanks for that observation. I've updated the image with the corrected version (might need a browser refresh to view, as it's the same filename/path). :confused:

That's got a thumbs up by me. I love that warm golden colour about it. The only thing that I did find a little distracting was that strong reflection of the sun on the sea, but I guess it can't be helped.
But, nitpicking aside, that is one superb capture. :)

I think it works quite well tbh. Image doesn't have to be by the book. Well composed :)

Thanks Woodsy, very encoraging comments!

That's got a thumbs up by me. I love that warm golden colour about it. The only thing that I did find a little distracting was that strong reflection of the sun on the sea, but I guess it can't be helped.
But, nitpicking aside, that is one superb capture. :)

Cheers Ian, I totally concur with your comments regarding the strong reflection (and the very blown area around the sun). Thanks for your comments!!

Great pic, now I have a thirst to know what it was captured on....no EXIF info present!

*edit - 350D and a Canon 10-22 I presume? Wonderful what a User Profile can tell you!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pic, now I have a thirst to know what it was captured on....no EXIF info present!

*edit - 350D and a Canon 10-22 I presume? Wonderful what a User Profile can tell you!!!!

Is there a way to tell the info about a shot after it's been posted onto a site? like which setting he used?

Sweet, that looks awesome :)

sorry for the hijack but this seems like the pertect time for me to ask.:p

I have been trying out some sunset shots yesterday. but I just cant get the hang of it. (I am new to photography btw)
Can someone tell me how to get a good shot?

All my shots were ether perfect sunset and around the sun/sky but almost black forground, or forground perfect but the sky is a white blob. Is there a way to capture both in 1 shot? or do I take 2 -3 shots and blend them into one/adjust, cruves, levels... with photoshop?

thanks

Last edited:
Very good capture. Good composition and lovely glow. The reflection on the water is a little too intense but then that is offset by the golden reflection on the foreground rocks.

Did you use any filters?

Tom

Spot on reddeathdrinker, here's the exif info from the shot:
IMG_6679_EXIF.png

Plus I used a 10 Stop B+W ND Filter

Is there a way to tell the info about a shot after it's been posted onto a site? like which setting he used?

Only if the EXIF information is embedded in the jpeg. In my case, when I used the save-for-web function in Photoshop CS3, it automatically strips the EXIF data from the resulting file (which is a shame really).

Sweet, that looks awesome :)

sorry for the hijack but this seems like the pertect time for me to ask.:p

I have been trying out some sunset shots yesterday. but I just cant get the hang of it. (I am new to photography btw)
Can someone tell me how to get a good shot?

All my shots were ether perfect sunset and around the sun/sky but almost black forground, or forground perfect but the sky is a white blob. Is there a way to capture both in 1 shot? or do I take 2 -3 shots and blend them into one/adjust, cruves, levels... with photoshop?

thanks

Thanks for the comments EP82.

Your two main options for sunsets are either to use ND Grad filters (probably a hard ND grad if shooting a seascape), or as you say, to blend multiple exposures, which can be tricky to make look natural depending on how much movement there is in the image (water movement can make life difficult).

Using a small aperture when the sun is visible will also produce a star effect, such as this shot, which was shot at f/22. However the trade off from this effect is increased diffraction and a less sharp picture than shooting in the "sweet" aperture range of the lens (for my 10-22mm, this is around f/8 - f/10).

Nice shot really like this,

IMO the border fits the shot perfectly and lifts it off the screen

Keep up the good work and welcome :)

Very nice, gcams. Methinks you have a winner here!

Very good capture. Good composition and lovely glow. The reflection on the water is a little too intense but then that is offset by the golden reflection on the foreground rocks.

Did you use any filters?

Tom

Thanks for the kind comments thompo, hunter20ga & Tom!!

Tom as for filters, I used a straight B+W 10-stop ND (not graduated), hence the rather lengthy 120 second exposure, as this allowed me to get a slow enough shutter speed to soften the water.

Back