Scotland From Berwick-Upon-Tweed to Royal Troon Golf Club

Jeff @kennysarmy , there's some nice coast just north of Berwick on Tweed, eg from Eyemouth to St Abbs. Further north, there are nice coastal scenes at Dunbar and North Berwick. Not quite sure why you're going so far north, though. I'd be inclined to go even more across country, going through places like Coldstream, maybe down to Jedburgh (Abbey, though hard to isolate IIRC), Selkirk, and particularly Peebles. In the latter I would walk down to the river, turn right and walk for a mile and a half or so to Neidpath Castle set on its bluff above the Tweed.

The other option near your diagrammed route would be New Lanark and the Falls of Clyde. The latter can be a bit wimpish unless there's been lots of rain, or you hit a water release day. I'm sure there's plenty more!

Last edited:
Jeff @kennysarmy , there's some nice coast just north of Berwick on Tweed, eg from Eyemouth to St Abbs. Further north, there are nice coastal scenes at Dunbar and North Berwick. Not quite sure why you're going so far north, though. I'd be inclined to go even more across country, going through places like Coldstream, maybe down to Jedburgh (Abbey, though hard to isolate IIRC), Selkirk, and particularly Peebles. In the latter I would walk down to the river, turn right and walk for a mile and a half or so to Neidpath Castle set on its bluff above the Tweed.

The other option near your diagrammed route would be New Lanark and the Falls of Clyde. The latter can be a bit wimpish unless there's been lots of rain, or you hit a water release day. I'm sure there's plenty more!

Thanks, appreciate your help. I'm not sure I want to turn a long-ish drive to a longer one by going from Berwick northbound before we turn to cross the country - I was more looking for things en-route or near the chosen route....
I'm staying in Berwick with family for a few nights before the dash over to Troon.....

I'll look in to Neidpath Castle and New Lanark though, cheers.

I entered a shot of Neidpath Castle in the 2013 POTY, though it would be much harder to get a comparable shot in summer. unless you get in the river! But I think a better photographer than me would have found quite a few different shots from various viewpoints; the paths on both sides of the river take in about 180 degrees with the Castle as centre!

BTW you can get to the castle from the road, rather than walking along the paths (which are very pleasant), but it's private property. They might allow access if asked, however; I haven't tried.

Back