From Best man to 2nd Tog

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
You've caught a couple of nice moments, but frankly it's the usual, 'no thought to the photography put the effort in at the PC'. It doesn't work.

If you want to improve, the workflow is, concept, exposure, processing. Not exposure, processing, concept, processing. Fake blur and inconsistent processing just make the set look like snapshots that've been worked to try to create photos. But if you're honest with yourself, you knew that.

Without sounding like a 'know it all' you can fool inexperienced togs with these tricks, but for anyone with a developed visual vocabulary, it looks 'wrong'.

What im learning is 'Less is more' when it comes to wedding photography and getting it right in camera seperates you from those that machine gun shoot and then PP the arse off a photo. I have learnt this, although still fall into the trap of 'get the shot' rather than 'create the image' via what Phil V says ie concept, expsosure, process.

I think the images you have need to be 'reset' to the originals and some subtle contrast, white balance etc applied. She is a beatiful bride, nice venue, great moments captured that doesnt need heavy PP work.

Although, just to contrast Phil, fake blur has its place...but needs to be treated carefully. All these techniques have their place but to throw them at an image willy nilly is not the right way to go about it.....im no expert having only shot 4 or 5 weddings and i do love a preset,weird crop, negative space and a touch of vignette but hey...im learning to be restrained lol.

Just my thoughts though....

Last edited:
She looks radiant so you're on a winner

Although, just to contrast Phil, fake blur has its place...but needs to be treated carefully. All these techniques have their place but to throw them at an image willy nilly is not the right way to go about it.....im no expert having only shot 4 or 5 weddings and i do love a preset,weird crop, negative space and a touch of vignette but hey...im learning to be restrained lol.

Just my thoughts though....

I will always argue this, it takes 1/500 second to shoot an image at 1.8 and 10 mins in PS to make it look awfuil with fake blur and an hour to make it look like proper shallow DoF.

I hate digital and wish i could still shoot weddings on film, but one of the benefits is that it cost nothing to take an extra shot. So whilst you are learning what works best there is nothing to stop you taking one photo wide open and one with a F stop you know will give you enough DOF. If you know the camera well you dont even need to take it away from your eye to flick from f2 to f5.6. Not something you want to do on every shot bit it will help learn what works for you

I will always argue this, it takes 1/500 second to shoot an image at 1.8 and 10 mins in PS to make it look awfuil with fake blur and an hour to make it look like proper shallow DoF.

:LOL::LOL: I dont disagree with you at all. And that is the 'right' way of doing it and should be the way that is learnt as opposed to trying to 'fix' it later.

However, creativity is subjective and everything has its place when used correctly....personally i would prefer to get it right in camera but i guess thats what seperates the newbies to the game from the expereienced. Knowing when, how and having the skill and speed to do it instinctively....

anyway, back to the op

Cheers guys. ALL of you.

I'm NOT a wedding tog. I bought my D7000 as I was going to the Maldives a few years ago and my PAS just wouldnt do.

In fact I'm not a photographer

I own a piano but that doesn't make me a musician

I'm learning. I took my camera as a favour.
I think I may have overdone the PP as the shots were really bad to start with. I'll post some originals up.(and hide under a rock)

304 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

281 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

267 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

253 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

246 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

Just a tip - don't shoot head and shoulders shots with a wide lens. See how the distortion is really unflattering to an otherwise pretty bride in picture #7.

They look a lot better after you've taken the filters and the over the top PP off. Maybe just trying to boost the colour with a little contrast and saturation to make the colours pop a little. I think for a favour you've done a good job.

Also if you shot in RAW, just make sure the white balance is correct.

They look a lot better after you've taken the filters and the over the top PP off. Maybe just trying to boost the colour with a little contrast and saturation to make the colours pop a little. I think for a favour you've done a good job.

Also if you shot in RAW, just make sure the white balance is correct.

What Mark said, they're good shots for a favour, don't be hard on yourself. They need a little TLC rather than marching bands with razzmatazz, like I said earlier, the hard work happens before you press the shutter, not when you're sat at the PC.

And what Ryan said, but you've learned that now and I'll bet you never do it again;) even 50mm on a crop is too wide for H&S portraits.

What Mark said, they're good shots for a favour, don't be hard on yourself. They need a little TLC rather than marching bands with razzmatazz, like I said earlier, the hard work happens before you press the shutter, not when you're sat at the PC.

And what Ryan said, but you've learned that now and I'll bet you never do it again;) even 50mm on a crop is too wide for H&S portraits.

Hiya Phil

I know where my limitations currently stand. I took these shots over a year ago (still haven't sent them to the B/G) and thats where the camera has sat until this summer.

I'm just too busy at the moment to practice.

I didn't post the shots as a "Hey look how good I think my shots are" I posted for Critique bad or worse:LOL:

I'm not happy per se with the shots although I'm happier than I was.
Up until last week my PP was increase Vibrancy and saturation until they shouted.

I'm here to learn :help:

Cheers

Hiya Phil

I know where my limitations currently stand. I took these shots over a year ago (still haven't sent them to the B/G) and thats where the camera has sat until this summer.

I'm just too busy at the moment to practice.

I didn't post the shots as a "Hey look how good I think my shots are" I posted for Critique bad or worse:LOL:

I'm not happy per se with the shots although I'm happier than I was.
Up until last week my PP was increase Vibrancy and saturation until they shouted.

I'm here to learn :help:

Cheers
Don't beat yourself up, I've seen a lot worse, and by people charging too:puke:

I'm not in anyway a qualified tog to criticise anything, I think they all look pretty good to me. But in some there seems to be a lot of room above their heads. Looking at how they are positioned I take it you used centre point focussing and then didn't recompose. Maybe recropping might look a little better on some.

I'm not in anyway a qualified tog to criticise anything, I think they all look pretty good to me. But in some there seems to be a lot of room above their heads. Looking at how they are positioned I take it you used centre point focussing and then didn't recompose. Maybe recropping might look a little better on some.

Off to Google ^^

Off to Google ^^

Centre point focus being where in the viewfinder your camera focuses.

On centre point, it's always in the middle, hence in your pictures, the subjects are generally central.

Recomposing is holding the shutter half way down to focus, move the camera slightly to 'recompose' and then shooting.

Also useful to know about exposure lock, where it takes the same exposure from where you originally focused.

The one thing I wanted to add is that in the one with the couple kissing he has what looks like dandruff on his collar. If I was the bride or groom I would ask if you could get rid of that.

The one thing I wanted to add is that in the one with the couple kissing he has what looks like dandruff on his collar. If I was the bride or groom I would ask if you could get rid of that.

That and the CA. I'll have a go

Any tips on the dust

The pictures seem fine for what was asked of you i.e.get a few snaps after the tog had gone

Phil is obviously pro at doing this sort of thing and his critique is based on that standard, unless this is what you want to benchmark against then you've nothing to worry about

To the man in the street I think most of your shots would be perfectly acceptable

The pictures seem fine for what was asked of you i.e.get a few snaps after the tog had gone

Phil is obviously pro at doing this sort of thing and his critique is based on that standard, unless this is what you want to benchmark against then you've nothing to worry about

To the man in the street I think most of your shots would be perfectly acceptable

Cheers Nick

I've got no issues with Phil giving to me like he did (although I didn't take it to heart) If everyone said "wow they're the best shots I've ever seen" I would never improve.

Back