From Canon to Fuji

Name
Charles
Edit My Images
Yes
I am beginning to regret my foray into full-frame, I do love my Canon 5D mkii especially with the 17-40mm F4 but it is enormously bulky. I am considering moving back to a crop and getting the Fuji X-T20.

I think a Samyang 12mm F2 should cover anything particularly wide that I need but am struggling to come up with good value options for a tele, does anyone have any suggestions?

My other issue is that I absolutely love having my C1,2 and 3 settings along with manual mode, this gives me 4 instant settings and a click of a dial which is fantastic for moving from a bracketed exposure of a landscape to shoot a buzzard flying overhead, etc. It also means that as a relative novice, I have my settings dialled in without worrying about making stupid mistakes like forgetting to change the metering mode!

Does the Fuji system have anything like that? If so, how many custom settings does it have?

Thanks for your help

the 55-200 is probably the best 'value for money' in terms of price and IQ. Some people like the 55-230, but its not of the same build quality - IQ wise though I really have no idea, I just imagine its not as good considering price. If your after anything longer than that I imagine your confined to the 100-400 which is significantly more expensive than both :)

Depends on your budget really. The 55-200 is a very nice bit of gear, the OIS is incredible. You can hand hold at 200mm, 1/15th sec comfortably. I don't know if it' optically much superior to the 50-230, but it's got the speed advantage, a full stop better aperture and a stop better OIS [comparing to the MKI 50-230, the MKII might be the same OIS]

If you don't need the reach and want something more pro-spec there's the 50-140 2.8 [behaves much like a 70-200 on your FF Canon], and as SealBeard mentions, there is the 100-400 for more serious wildlife.

Last edited:
Approximate equivalent to your 17-40 would be the 10-24 (15-36 in ff terms) both are constant f4 with the latter having IS.

If you want longer the choice is lowest price first, XC16-50, XF18-55 and XF16-55 (all roughly same as 24-70 in ff)

Had both the 50-230 and 55-200, latter is definitely better, but dearer too

Sadly there are no C1-3 dials on the Fujis I've had, I think there are something like 9 custom settings via the Q menu though but don't use them myself so can't comment that much.

The Samyang 12mm is a great choice, I have one but don't use it anywhere near as much as it deserves.

The 50-230 is a good choice too, lighter than the 200 and I'm told it's not as pro feeling but is still no worse than say the 55-250 feel wise (much better IQ wise imho though), the 100-400 is excellent but heavy and expensive

Don't forget the 18-135mm too, which will give you a 200mm equivalent (if you are comparing to the FF Canon).

I'd keep an eye out for a cheap 50-230mm first, to see if it works for you. AF isn't amazingly quick on it, but IQ is great and it's very portable due to the low weight :)

Sadly there are no C1-3 dials on the Fujis I've had, I think there are something like 9 custom settings via the Q menu though but don't use them myself so can't comment that much.

The Samyang 12mm is a great choice, I have one but don't use it anywhere near as much as it deserves.

The 50-230 is a good choice too, lighter than the 200 and I'm told it's not as pro feeling but is still no worse than say the 55-250 feel wise (much better IQ wise imho though), the 100-400 is excellent but heavy and expensive

You can assign custom modes to a function button, so when you press the button, you are presented with a list of custom modes, very quick to move to required mode and select.

The 50-230 optically is very good but it feels very plasticy especially compared to the Fuji metal bodied lenses

My other issue is that I absolutely love having my C1,2 and 3 settings along with manual mode, this gives me 4 instant settings and a click of a dial which is fantastic for moving from a bracketed exposure of a landscape to shoot a buzzard flying overhead, etc. It also means that as a relative novice, I have my settings dialled in without worrying about making stupid mistakes like forgetting to change the metering mode!

If this is important for you Sony A6300/6500 offers 2 slots (M1 and M2) on the dial along with manual mode. I think they have 4-5 slots internally if you dive into menus.
A6000 has one slot (MR) on the dial plus the standard manual option. Once you set dial on to MR you get 3 slots.

Last edited:
Back