From Crop Sensor to Full Frame: a buyer's dilemma

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone,

First post on this forum, so be kind :)

I'm a happy Nikon D3300 owner who'd like to "step up" into the full frame world, for the following reasons:
  1. I take more pictures in low light than I thought I would
  2. I get more noise in my pictures than I thought I would (in low light / high iso conditions)
Initially, I would like to buy only the camera and a 50mm prime able to open the aperture wider than just f1.8. It would be great to keep the total cost below £ 1,500 if possible.
So here I am, looking for advice. A few questions, specifically:
  1. My eyes are on the D610, because I'm not desperate for WiFi or a tilting screen. I use the viewfinder to take pictures, and don't do movies at the moment. All I care for is a good pictures quality, at a reasonable price. Would this choice make sense in your opinion? Is there another camera I'm not looking at that I should look at?
  2. Assuming that the D610 is a sensible choice, what is the best way to buy it considering that I'm London based? What do you think of a used body, what mistakes do I have to avoid in buying a used body?
  3. I could find online quite a spread of prices. Amazon sells the D610 for £ 1,199 but e-infin only for £ 868. Is this a scam? [pictures attached]
  4. What 50mm prime would you recommend I start with? Ideally I would like to open the aperture to f1.2 but not if that's going to cost me an arm and a leg. f1.4 / f1.6 could do. Also, I'd like to have auto-focus. VR not a priority.
  5. Is it cheaper abroad? I have a friend living in Dubai who's coming to visit in a month, I could ask him to bring me the camera if it saves me a significant amount of money.
Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to reply, I know I asked a lot of questions.

Lighting is not as portable as a full frame camera. Besides, I have a speedlight with softbox already. And lighting can be invasive if you want candid shots, so not always applicable.

D610 from Panamoz is £965, grey import but a very popular company with great feedback including a 3 year UK warrenty. I'm about to order a D500 from them. A new Nikon 50mm F1.4 AFS should be around £400 so within your budget for both.

Shooting at f/1.x on a FF camera is not a great choice either in many situations... and if you've already got f/1.8, it's not even a stop of light gain. If you must shoot available light only with poor light, then I would probably suggest a used D3s in this price range.

Get a D750 and a 50mm 1.8G.

Out of interest, why do you want to shoot wide open, at 1.2 or 1.4 specifically? Even if you do buy a fast lens that allows it, the practical application is limited - especially if you want an acceptably sharp image.

@foggy4ever thanks for the tip about the website

@sk66 I see your point, a used Nikon D3s is in the same price range, I should think about that

@Turbo-G I want to be able to blur the background in portraits. f1.8 works so far (on my 35mm DX prime) but I am interested in blurring more - or at least in having the possibility to do so. Hence I wanted to have a lens able to go beyond f1.8. This is, however, not a make-or-break for me now.

Why would you recommend a D750 over a D610?

As Steven says, get a used D3/D3S. Keeps it all in budget and a great FF camera.

@foggy4ever thanks for the tip about the website

@sk66 I see your point, a used Nikon D3s is in the same price range, I should think about that

@Turbo-G I want to be able to blur the background in portraits. f1.8 works so far (on my 35mm DX prime) but I am interested in blurring more - or at least in having the possibility to do so. Hence I wanted to have a lens able to go beyond f1.8. This is, however, not a make-or-break for me now.

Why would you recommend a D750 over a D610?
Get something longer if you want it for portraits and more background blur. A 85mm or something.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

First post on this forum, so be kind :)

I'm a happy Nikon D3300 owner who'd like to "step up" into the full frame world, for the following reasons:
  1. I take more pictures in low light than I thought I would
  2. I get more noise in my pictures than I thought I would (in low light / high iso conditions)
Initially, I would like to buy only the camera and a 50mm prime able to open the aperture wider than just f1.8. It would be great to keep the total cost below £ 1,500 if possible.
So here I am, looking for advice. A few questions, specifically:
  1. My eyes are on the D610, because I'm not desperate for WiFi or a tilting screen. I use the viewfinder to take pictures, and don't do movies at the moment. All I care for is a good pictures quality, at a reasonable price. Would this choice make sense in your opinion? Is there another camera I'm not looking at that I should look at?
  2. Assuming that the D610 is a sensible choice, what is the best way to buy it considering that I'm London based? What do you think of a used body, what mistakes do I have to avoid in buying a used body?
  3. I could find online quite a spread of prices. Amazon sells the D610 for £ 1,199 but e-infin only for £ 868. Is this a scam? [pictures attached]
  4. What 50mm prime would you recommend I start with? Ideally I would like to open the aperture to f1.2 but not if that's going to cost me an arm and a leg. f1.4 / f1.6 could do. Also, I'd like to have auto-focus. VR not a priority.
  5. Is it cheaper abroad? I have a friend living in Dubai who's coming to visit in a month, I could ask him to bring me the camera if it saves me a significant amount of money.
Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to reply, I know I asked a lot of questions.
In answer to your questions-

1. The D610 is a great camera and would give you much better low light and noise performance over what you have already. I would still recommend the D750 though as it's a better package overall and IMO worth the extra £300. It also has a much better grip imo.YMMV
2. Used is a great option as you tend to lose less money when selling on. There are many websites/shops that sell second hand gear and offer between 6-12 months warranty. Forums like this are also good places to buy used. You need to do you usual checks such as looking at condition and also shutter count. Also if buying from forums/ebay etc check whether they are grey imports or not. I have no issue buying grey, but I would expect the price to reflect it.
3. e-infin is a grey importer. I don't know this company so don't know if duties etc have been paid, and how good they are at honouring warranty. The only grey importers I'd buy from are Panamoz (probably first choice), HDEW (who actually have physical stock in the UK), and digitalrev.
4. There's nothing wrong with the 50mm f1.8g you have already tbh as far as letting light in. You can't get f1.2 lenses for Nikon that support AF due to the mount size, so if you want f1.2 AF primes then you need to look at Canon. However, equivalent Canon bodies are expensive and generally do not have as good sensors in terms of DR and ISO handling. If you want a faster prime then the Nikon 50mm f1.4G is a very nice lens, but remember it's only 2/3 stop faster than the f1.8. The 85mm f1.8g is a stellar lens and better length for portraits. Don't forget that 50mm on FF will have a different angle of view to what it does on your crop body.
5. Some countries will be cheaper, but then you have to remember import duties etc.

Some folk have mentioned the D3 and D3s which is a great option. Just a couple of things to note though is that the D3 is substantially bigger and heavier than both the D610 and D750.
http://camerasize.com/compact/#1,567,509,ha,b

View attachment 95005

The D3s will give you a bit less noise than the D750 but the D750 has twice as many MP (24 vs 12) so by the time you downsample the D750 noise handling will be comparable, or may even swap in the advantage of the D750. Both are significantly better than the D3300.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Com...us-Nikon-D3300-versus-Nikon-D3s___975_928_628

(No D3s so used the D4)
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...1&x=-0.0954600241060666&y=-0.9984699965905218

Edit here's the different angle of view of 50mm on FF (FX) and Crop (DX)

View attachment 95007
View attachment 95006

Last edited:
Thank you for such an extensive answer @snerkler

The comparison tool is brutal with my D3300 :)

I have made up my mind and I will look for a used D750 in good conditions, probably in shops in London so that I can inspect it when I buy it. If my search won't be successful, or if I won't find a good deal by Sunday, I will just order a D610 from Panamoz since you guys recommend this vendor.

A D3s is definitely too big. And since it will also be older, I guess it should be bought only by someone who really knows what he's doing and how to examine the camera when he buys it.

Lens-wise, I will start with a simple 50mm f1.4 (again, used if I find a good one, new otherwise).

I'll search this forum both for the body and for the lens. Is there a shop you guys would recommend in London for used cameras? Or maybe an online shop that you trust enough to buy from without being able to inspect the camera?

I have made up my mind and I will look for a used D750 in good conditions, probably in shops in London so that I can inspect it when I buy it. If my search won't be successful, or if I won't find a good deal by Sunday, I will just order a D610 from Panamoz since you guys recommend this vendor.

A D3s is definitely too big. And since it will also be older, I guess it should be bought only by someone who really knows what he's doing and how to examine the camera when he buys it.

Lens-wise, I will start with a simple 50mm f1.4 (again, used if I find a good one, new otherwise).

I'll search this forum both for the body and for the lens. Is there a shop you guys would recommend in London for used cameras? Or maybe an online shop that you trust enough to buy from without being able to inspect the camera?

If you buy from a dealer with warranty, then you mitigate some of the risk around 2nd hand gear :)

If seen used bodies on mpb and Ffordes go for nearly the same a new from Panamoz.

Last edited:

As mentioned used cameras aren't much cheaper than new grey ones. But if you want to buy used then Harrison's, Wex, MPB, camera jungle (owned by Jessops/Peter Jones), and London Camera Exchange are all companies I've used and been happy with. Descriptions tend to be pretty accurate, but you also get 14 day no quibble return so if it's not as described you can send it back. Just be aware that you may be responsible for return postage unless it's faulty or not close to being as described.

I'm upgrading from the D5300 to the D750 which is arriving tomorrow from Camera Jungle, it was £1249 with 4000 on the shutter, I Googled reviews for the company and they were very good, I like the fact they answered the bad reviews and give 6 months warranty, I've just read they're based on Oxford Street London.

There was another a few days ago from MPB for £1329 with 3000 on the shutter.
The stock varies daily so check regularly.

Regarding the tilt screen and wifi my 5300 has both and I've used them both, the wifi is great for sending photos quickly to your phone then onto social media or into a message and the tilt screen has been very useful when shooting low so I haven't had to physically lie down, it's not used that often but it opens up the options and I've got some lovely shots that I wouldn't have bothered to take if it didn't have the flip screen.

I'm upgrading from the D5300 to the D750 which is arriving tomorrow from Camera Jungle, it was £1249 with 4000 on the shutter, I Googled reviews for the company and they were very good, I like the fact they answered the bad reviews and give 6 months warranty, I've just read they're based on Oxford Street London.

Regarding the tilt screen and wifi my 5300 has both and I've used them both, the wifi is great for sending photos quickly to your phone then onto social media or into a message and the tilt screen has been very useful when shooting low so I haven't had to physically lie down, it's not used that often but it opens up the options and I've got some lovely shots that I wouldn't have bothered to take if it didn't have the flip screen.
Or you can buy new grey for £1250 from Panamoz or £1279 from HDEW (y)

I was in a similar position as you when my d7100 died.
I thought about going full frame looked at the d610 then I found a review comparing it to the d750.
Then after reading about the d750 I started to look into that more, which then in turn lead my back here and found plenty to read about it on here. Then that convinced me it was the right way to go.
Glad I did now habe never looked back. I was slightly advantaged that I had the 50mm and the 70-200 vr1 already.
I have recently got some more nikon 1.8 primes which give plenty of bokeh I feel. Yes you could get slightly more on a 1.4 but would it be that noticeable to the majority of people.
If possible and the scenario can be set up properly then you can get plenty I feel.

I'm glad I choose the d750 and happy with it and to date there is nothing out there that will make me get rid of it

I can recommend Camera a Jungle, they are based in London, don't know if they have a shop as I buy on line from them. They sell stuff Jessops take in as part ext. Stock changes daily so keep an eye on there well updated web site.

Enjoy the camera, I noticed that one on the website, it's nothing to have 4000 on the shutter.

. Is there a shop you guys would recommend in London for used cameras? Or maybe an online shop that you trust enough to buy from without being able to inspect the camera?

London camera shops? Loads in central London.

My favourites:
London Camera Exchange - on The Strand, bought my first 2 cameras from here. There stock in store changes so frequently they don't get time to put it online, so best visit or call to see if they have a D750. Usually competitive on price.
Camera World - Wells Street (off Oxford Street) - bought a couple of lenses from them, helpful guys in there.
Park Cameras - Rathbone Place (off Oxford Street) - not bought from them, but always have a decent stock in store.
Calumet - 2 stores, one small shop on Wardour Street, Soho, one v. large store on Drummond Street (behind Euston Station) - bought my Canon 6D s/h from them with warranty. Good prices. Again s/h stock changes so quickly they don't often have time to put it online, so either visit or call.
Aperture Photographic - Rathbone Place, up the road from Park Cameras. Nice old fashioned store, deals in loads of film, vintage gear (Leica, etc), but has a decent stock of DSLRs at decent prices. If you're going to Park Cameras, it's worth the 2min walk just to look at the vintage gear.

There's also Grays of Westminster, a slightly fancy-pants shop, only deals in Nikon (hence why I've never been).

I've bought lenses online from MPB and would recommend them.

Good luck hunting.

It really isn't. The overall sensor score is the same as the D3s! An amazing result for such a budget camera! And better than stuff like the D700/D3, which pros used for years (some even now) with fantastic results. It's amazing how people take for granted that you now get pro levels of performance from even the lowest rung on the camera ladder.

You will get a bit better signal-to-noise ratio with full-frame, but I'm surprised nobody's asked to see samples of what you consider to be excessive noise before recommending a new camera. Are you using raw or JPG? Any noise reduction? That sort of thing.

I would suggest that better autofocus performance will be the factor that gives you better results rather than just a bit less noise. Shooting at wide apertures, the low-end bodies are more miss than hit in my experience. On full frame it's even more important to get focus right, so technique is all important.

Having said that, camera shopping is fun, hope you are pleased with whatever you get! Surely new grey is more sensible than used (edit: for the same price). How do you know your used purchase isn't grey?

Last edited:
I would definitely go the 50mm 1.8g over the 1.4 having owned both.

I would definitely go the 50mm 1.8g over the 1.4 having owned both.
Is the f1.4 that bad then? I've never rated the f1.8 wide open, although very good from f2.8 ish onwards.

Is the f1.4 that bad then? I've never rated the f1.8 wide open, although very good from f2.8 ish onwards.

In my opinion you can't tell the difference IQ wise... maybe the super pixel peepers might, but I couldn't at 1.8.

The 1.4 is probably one of the slowest focussing lenses I have ever tried. The 1.8 is clearly quicker, cheaper and lighter!

I have owned the three Nikon 50mm's and I found the 1.4D the best of the bunch for AF and output.

As a D610 owner, I'd recommend a D750 for the flippy rear screen (fixed screen is a pain in the ...knees, for low shots) and just being a more modern design with potentially better focussing. Mine gets used for low light work, usually with either 50 1.8D or Samyang 85 1.4 (manual focus).

@martsharm I will post some shots, I'm sure people here can help me improve my technique. I shoot raw and develop using Lightroom, but maybe I haven't played around with the setting enough? You mention that getting the focus wrong can create noise, can you elaborate on that? It's the first time I hear this.

@ancient_mariner thanks, many people are recommending the D750 over the D610 in this thread and I am seriously considering it but to be honest, they all recommend it for the wrong reasons. Tilt screen? I use the viewfinder. WiFi for fast sharing? What I like about using my camera is taking the time to review my pictures on my laptop. If I want to quickly post it on Instagram, I just use my iPhone. The only reason why I might want WiFi is to shoot tethered and see my shots on the 15inch laptop screen. That'd be cool. But does the D750 improve picture quality over the D610? The comparison tool didn't show a big difference but my eye isn't trained so please help me on this.

At this point, considering my budget, I am torn between D610 grey + 50mm f1.4 and D750 grey + 50mm f1.8

One more question, because what @JJ! said is raising a concern... if I shoot with a 50mm f1.4 lens at f2.2, is it not the exact same as shooting with a 50mm f1.8 lens at f2.2?

@martsharm I will post some shots, I'm sure people here can help me improve my technique. I shoot raw and develop using Lightroom, but maybe I haven't played around with the setting enough? You mention that getting the focus wrong can create noise, can you elaborate on that? It's the first time I hear this.

@ancient_mariner thanks, many people are recommending the D750 over the D610 in this thread and I am seriously considering it but to be honest, they all recommend it for the wrong reasons. Tilt screen? I use the viewfinder. WiFi for fast sharing? What I like about using my camera is taking the time to review my pictures on my laptop. If I want to quickly post it on Instagram, I just use my iPhone. The only reason why I might want WiFi is to shoot tethered and see my shots on the 15inch laptop screen. That'd be cool. But does the D750 improve picture quality over the D610? The comparison tool didn't show a big difference but my eye isn't trained so please help me on this.

At this point, considering my budget, I am torn between D610 grey + 50mm f1.4 and D750 grey + 50mm f1.8

One more question, because what @JJ! said is raising a concern... if I shoot with a 50mm f1.4 lens at f2.2, is it not the exact same as shooting with a 50mm f1.8 lens at f2.2?
Image quality between the D750 and D610 will be pretty much identical. Where the D750 is better is in ergonomics (for most), Autofocus system, Autofocus spread, and better resolution LCD. Then of course as mentioned the flippy screen and Wifi. TBH the D750 is worth it for the grip and AF alone imo.

I didn't mean to give that impression. Getting the focus wrong can't create noise. But, if you're looking for sharp shots at wide apertures, your AF system and technique need to be top notch. And full frame is more demanding of focus accuracy because you're using longer focal lengths for the same framing, and therefore have less depth of field to play with. Or, you can stop down the lens to obtain the same depth of field, but you may need to increase ISO to compensate, negating the noise advantage.

To put it another way, it's possible that you could exchange sharp, noisy shots for out-of-focus clean ones. That's not to say that will definitely happen, but your focus technique will need to be spot on at f1.8 on full frame.

Last edited:

I'm not a Nikon user, so I can't comment directly on the D750/D610 comparison, but on those two things mentioned about the D750, Wifi and Tilt screen, I can comment.
I went from a Canon 60D with tilt screen to a 6D (full frame) without. I really miss it sometimes. It's incredibly useful when you're shooting low or high to be able to hold the camera in the ideal position for the shot, a position that you wouldn't be able to do with your eye to the viewfinder and shoot. Brilliant for macro/closeup and still life shooting, even for landscapes. When your camera is less than 1metre from the floor, it's not really ideal to be bending over to get your eye to the viewfinder. I probably use liveview less than 20% of the time, so is a flippy screen worth having? Yes. Worth the extra cash, that's upto you.
Now Wifi. When I got my 6D, I didn't think wifi would be a feature I'd use much if at all, but I do. I don't shoot tethered (yet) but I use it for remote/liveview control of the camera and for viewing and downloading images. Here's my recent scenario. We went on holiday, were restricted on weight by the rubbish airline, so decided against taking a laptop. I decided that I would shoot with the DSLR, then view images on my phone (bigger screen than my camera), then if there's anything I wanted to post to social media I can just download it to my phone, have a quick play with levels and stuff in Adobe Photoshop Express (free app) and then post to FB, Instgram, etc. It was great, stopped me from shooting in the day and editing at night, meaning I spent more time with the family. (Obviously when I got home I still edited the RAW files as normal).
Remote shooting from your phone is also handing if you've forgotten your remote shutter release and want to do longer exposures or you want to do a shot with yourself in it.
I found it was not such a silly feature afterall. I could make do without WiFi easily, but since it's there..

Just my opinion. The D750 is a much bigger camera with more/advanced features, it's closer to the pro level bodies and is newer and likely last longer. But it depends if you can justify it.
Have you been to try any of these bodies yet? Get both of them in your hands and see which you prefer the feel/layout of.

I'm not a Nikon user, so I can't comment directly on the D750/D610 comparison, but on those two things mentioned about the D750, Wifi and Tilt screen, I can comment.
I went from a Canon 60D with tilt screen to a 6D (full frame) without. I really miss it sometimes. It's incredibly useful when you're shooting low or high to be able to hold the camera in the ideal position for the shot, a position that you wouldn't be able to do with your eye to the viewfinder and shoot. Brilliant for macro/closeup and still life shooting, even for landscapes. When your camera is less than 1metre from the floor, it's not really ideal to be bending over to get your eye to the viewfinder. I probably use liveview less than 20% of the time, so is a flippy screen worth having? Yes. Worth the extra cash, that's upto you.
Now Wifi. When I got my 6D, I didn't think wifi would be a feature I'd use much if at all, but I do. I don't shoot tethered (yet) but I use it for remote/liveview control of the camera and for viewing and downloading images. Here's my recent scenario. We went on holiday, were restricted on weight by the rubbish airline, so decided against taking a laptop. I decided that I would shoot with the DSLR, then view images on my phone (bigger screen than my camera), then if there's anything I wanted to post to social media I can just download it to my phone, have a quick play with levels and stuff in Adobe Photoshop Express (free app) and then post to FB, Instgram, etc. It was great, stopped me from shooting in the day and editing at night, meaning I spent more time with the family. (Obviously when I got home I still edited the RAW files as normal).
Remote shooting from your phone is also handing if you've forgotten your remote shutter release and want to do longer exposures or you want to do a shot with yourself in it.
I found it was not such a silly feature afterall. I could make do without WiFi easily, but since it's there..

Just my opinion. The D750 is a much bigger camera with more/advanced features, it's closer to the pro level bodies and is newer and likely last longer. But it depends if you can justify it.
Have you been to try any of these bodies yet? Get both of them in your hands and see which you prefer the feel/layout of.
Yep, tilt screen is a godsend for landscape work. It's not only good for true low level stuff, but also meaning I can keep the tripod lower and thus aiding stability by not having to raise the centre column. Yes I know you should ideally get one tall enough without having to raise the column but at 6'4" that means a pretty big and heavy tripod to be carrying across the peaks ;)

As for the size of the D750, it's actually a tad smaller than the D610.

I've owned both a D610 and D750 and I would say whatever you do, even if you have to save for a bit longer, get the D750 - not only is an all round better camera but the AF is significantly better in low light and you also have the brucie bonus of more AF points and a much wider spread. As you highlight that low light is the prime reason for upgrade, I think the D610 isn't the best tool for that job (although I appreicate better than a D3300 in low light scenarios).

Yep, tilt screen is a godsend for landscape work. It's not only good for true low level stuff, but also meaning I can keep the tripod lower and thus aiding stability by not having to raise the centre column. Yes I know you should ideally get one tall enough without having to raise the column but at 6'4" that means a pretty big and heavy tripod to be carrying across the peaks ;)

As for the size of the D750, it's actually a tad smaller than the D610.
6ft-4in :eek: Toby may i take this oppurtunity to apologise for any remarks consided by you insulting,ive always highly respected you my good friend :pint::LOL::LOL:

Back