From kit lens to F2.8 = New camera!

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
No
Well what a 30th birthday i've just had (22nd). I got a battery grip to go with my 400D and just received my new Tamron 17-50. Its like having a new camera, the battery grip is so much more comfortable in portrait position, i wish i could have the sensor rotated so i can use it like that all the time:LOL:

And as for the Tamron....well, personally im pretty blown away tbh. Focusing is great, noticeably faster than the 18-55 IS and better in low light for sure. The optics are outstanding, at f2.8 it is tack sharp, sharper than the my 18-55 in any configuration, and the 18-55IS is no slouch in the IQ department. But not only that, the Tammy is sharper in a way that i've never experienced. Its not just the contrasty transitions that are sharp (luminance detail) is more defined with more clarity all over the image not just the details(colour detail?). Less distortion at the wide end, not alot less, but makes a big difference to the whole grandeur of the pic to me.

Oh....and the bokeh.........:nuts:

Here are some mandatory pics, nothing amazing (its been torrential rain all day here:shake:).

jpegs straight from camera and resized.

IMG_2434 by Adrian Deans, on Flickr

IMG_2435 by Adrian Deans, on Flickr

Just thought i'd share the joy with you all, oh, and people who say lenses>bodies are absolutely right!

This forum helped me choose this lens, so thanks TP(y)

-Ade

Last edited:
Sounds like someone is happy! I have a Tamron 17-50 and it's a cracker.

Your first pic is fantastic, almost 3D like :cool: (y)

I have been using the Vc version for some time now, I do find it soft around the edges and the focussing can be painfuly slow especially in low light it does tend to hunt a bit;0, its a great lens for the money though, so longs you are not in a rush to take photos...

I bought the non-VC, and i find it pretty good in low light, and quick to focus. Thats compared to my 18-55 IS anyway, others may find it lackluster.

Me? Love the thing, my father inlaw now wants to buy one, even though when i started togging a year ago, he said never to buy a Tamron lens. <smugmode>

I am putting a 8 Month old Tamron 17-50 non vc up in the classified tonight if he is interested tell him to take a look. It's a great lens but I have upgraded to full frame so need to sell it on.

I have the non VC version on my Nikon and totally agree it's a fab lens and I have a 35mm f1.8 nikkor but use the tammy more!

I am putting a 8 Month old Tamron 17-50 non vc up in the classified tonight if he is interested tell him to take a look. It's a great lens but I have upgraded to full frame so need to sell it on.

I'd be interested in this, will keep my eye on the classifieds.

The cat photos are lovely, think I will give this lens a try as I can't afford the Canon version at the mo.

I was quite suprised when I replaced my 18-55 kit lens with something else, I would recommend an upgrade to anybody using a cheapo kit lens alot.

Back