From Lightroom > Photoshop - Can't use Camera Raw ?

djs

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm new to using lightroom, and have tried googling but can't find any info.

I've imported the photos to lightroom, and flagged the ones I want to edit (very handy).

But when I open them in photoshop, I can't open them in Camera Raw?
I've updated to the latest camera raw 5.2.

The RAW files are ORF (olympus). Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Why can't you open them in Camera RAW, what message does it give?
What version of Photoshop do you have?

More to the point, why are you even trying?

Unless I'm reading your post wrong, you appear to be trying to do the same thing twice. Lightroom is, to all extents and purposes, Camera RAW. So why would you want to use it again in Photoshop?

There are many, many different ways of working with the two pieces of software, but your workflow should be something like this: import your RAW files into Lightroom, flag those you want to keep, make all the necessary adjustments, export from Lightroom as either TIFF, PSD or JPEG and then import those into Photoshop for any final adjustments you deemed necessary.

But you certainly wouldn't be wanting to import the RAW files and then export them again only to open once more in Photoshop's Camera RAW. That would be slightly pointless. And if all you're doing is flagging RAW files for editing, then you might as well be using Bridge.

Unless, and this is only a complete guess, you're right-clicking and choosing to 'Edit in Adobe Photoshop' and it's this that's causing problems?

Which version of Photoshop are you using?

More to the point, why are you even trying?

Unless I'm reading your post wrong, you appear to be trying to do the same thing twice. Lightroom is, to all extents and purposes, Camera RAW. So why would you want to use it again in Photoshop?

There are many, many different ways of working with the two pieces of software, but your workflow should be something like this: import your RAW files into Lightroom, flag those you want to keep, make all the necessary adjustments, export from Lightroom as either TIFF, PSD or JPEG and then import those into Photoshop for any final adjustments you deemed necessary.

But you certainly wouldn't be wanting to import the RAW files and then export them again only to open once more in Photoshop's Camera RAW. That would be slightly pointless. And if all you're doing is flagging RAW files for editing, then you might as well be using Bridge.

Unless, and this is only a complete guess, you're right-clicking and choosing to 'Edit in Adobe Photoshop' and it's this that's causing problems?

No, you're not reading it wrong. I know I can do it in Lightroom, I suppose I'm just used to editing in Camera Raw.
When I right click and choose 'Edit in Photoshop' I get an error saying you may need to update to the latest Camera Raw (which I have done, and I'm using CS4).

I suppose I should just use Lightroom then for the basic adjustments.

If you want to edit in PS from LR go to;

In LR, Photo>edit in>'whatever your version of PS is> then your phot will open in PS with adjustments made to the raw file from LR. (it does not open the ACR (adobe camera raw) module.

In preferences in LR. you can say whether you want to edit a copy, with or without adjustments and also if you want to place/stack the edited (in PS) version, next to the original in LR.

Hope this helps.

Ah, that makes more sense then. Are you on Lightroom 2.2?

In all honesty, you've got the perfect set-up waiting for you to master it. Lightroom is amazingly powerful and very simple to use and makes the process of mastering your RAW files a breeze, once you get used to it's little subtleties.

I would do all your RAW editing in Lightroom apart from final sharpening and perhaps some of the more fiddly editing jobs that crop up from time-to-time. Export from Lightroom as an 8-bit PSD file with sRGB as your embedded profile. Then open those images up in Photoshop for final editing and sharpening for output. You could of course even bypass the need for Photoshop entirely by using Lightroom to resize and apply output sharpening to large amounts of images.

But to answer the original question, you could fix the Edit in Photoshop issue but you'd be better served by doing that and learning to rely on Lightroom a little more and making the most of its power and flexibility.

Can your version fo Lightroom read and edit the file?

If so, then to edit in photoshop with camera raw, do:

Right click > Edit in > smart object in photoshop

Once in photoshop, double click on your background layer, and you will bring up the camera raw interface, with whatever edits you have made in lightroom already applied.

Thanks for all the replys.

I think Glitch is right, I should just get used to using LR for adjusting exposure etc.

If you want to edit in PS from LR go to;

In preferences in LR. you can say whether you want to edit a copy, with or without adjustments and also if you want to place/stack the edited (in PS) version, next to the original in LR.

Tiler65, I cannot find any option to do this. Im using LR 2.2

Far be it for me to tell you what to do, but if you've gone to the expense of buying both Lightroom 2 and Photoshop CS4, you'd be a fool to not use them to their full potential. Or at the very least take full advantage of what Lightroom has to offer over and above that of Photoshop's Camera RAW module.

I mean they're not exactly cheap bits of software, are they?

Back