Scotland From London to Scotland

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

I'm going on a road trip from West London to Scotland soon and I'd like some ideas of places that I must visit.
I already have planed a few stops on my way there and on the way back (like Peak District, Lake District, etc), so mainly I'm looking for cool places in Scotland, because I don't know anything there. For now I'm thinking about staying around Ben Navis/Loch Lomond.

I appreciate all your suggestions, thanks in advance!
PS: This is my first post, so if I'm breaking any rules just let me know :)

Last edited:
Glen Coe, Rannoch Moor, Glen Etive, Loch Etive. All are on, or accessible from the A82.
Take the Oban road from the A82 [i think its the A85] On there you have Kilchurn Castle and Castle Stalker.
Hope this helps.

Ben Nevis and Loch Lomond aren't adjacent, but it's all good up there, all the way to Cape Wrath. Look out for the tripod indents from previous photographers, especially near the road! If you're going this month I think that your main problem might be the midges.

Weather can be draconian (gales at any season, but at least they quell the midges and enliven the scenery & maybe the light), so go with the flow.

Glen Nevis is quite something, even without any mountaineering. You can drive a fair way up it, then after the road stops it's the gorge and the hills and the woods.

My mode would be to get as far away from your car as possible and just explore. But it's wild country and thus something to acclimatise to. Boots, waterproofs, risk assessment, navigation skills ...

I think that photography of land might not be just about spectacle (land / sky / light as objects to be plundered for one's own glory) but about engagement. How you do this fleetingly is for you to work out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed information and tips, droj. I know Ben Nevis and Loch Lomond aren't adjacent, but I'm gonna spend a few nights somewhere between those. I'll probably stick to the car, simply for time management, as I want to visit many places (and maybe in the future revisit the ones I like the most with more time), so knowing mountains with easy access is very welcome!

How long is your planned trip, Ricardomar? It is very easy in Scotland to try to see too much and spend time driving when you should be out and doing.

Also what type of accommodation are you looking for?

Dave

Hi Dave, I'll be travelling for 6 days from West London, and I'll stop in North England for 1 night on my way there and 1 night on my way back.. so I'll spend 3 nights/4 days in Scotland. I'll be staying in different hostels/hotels

I agree about Glen Coe, Glen Etive and Glen Nevis.Don't know if you walk much but the car park at Achriabach in Glen Nevis is a good starting point. The path roughly southwards is excellent and very quickly gets you into the hills

From Fort William there is a circularish route in the area that will give some good views -

A82 south from Fort William to Tyndrum (this goes through Glen Coe, which you will probably have been through on your way to Fort William, but you'll see it from another angle.
A85 west from Tyndrum to Connel,
A828 north from Connel to South Ballachulish
A82 north from South Ballachulish to Fort William.

Have a look at the excellent Walk Highlands site. They have walks (from easy strolls to mountain ascents) in all parts of Scotland that will give you an idea what you are likely to see.

It is going to be very busy but it is easy to get away from the crowds. Along with the gear take some insect repellent. Some people are not affected by midges. They are the known as the 'blessed', the rest of us are just walking blood banks.

Have a great time.

Dave

BTW Scotland is addictive.

I suppose it depends on what you like.
If you can make it as far as Harris, it's stunningly beautiful, particularly the beaches. If you are a whisky fan, Islay is worth a visit. Glasgow has some interesting architecture, both modern and traditional, then there is Edinburgh with the castle and other tourist traps. As mentioned by Droj, Ben Nevis and Loch Lomond aren't exactly close together - but both are definitely worth a visit.

The Kelpies are well worth a visit. Perhaps something you can add to the multiple landscapes that you have been recommended.....

If you get as far as Fort William , turn left and take the road to Mallaig, its even better if you can get the train( its the route of the Hogwarts Express).
Personally I would not bother with the Lakes, its going to be all hell and no notion at this time of year,head for Alnwick and the Northumberland coast, there is a reason its called the forgotten county.

Hi Dave, I'll be travelling for 6 days from West London, and I'll stop in North England for 1 night on my way there and 1 night on my way back.. so I'll spend 3 nights/4 days in Scotland. I'll be staying in different hostels/hotels

Option 1;

Day 1 drive to northern England
Day 2 drive to Scotland (maybe photograph a sunset location)
Day 3 sunrise location then drive to Skye for example sunset location
Day 4 sunrise location then drive back from Skye sunset location
Day 5 drive to northern England
Day 6 drive home

All with trying to get checked into accommodation and deal with traffic south of the border this would not be my choice.

Option 2;

Day 1 earliest flight of the day Heathrow to Glasgow/Edinburgh/Inverness to hire a car or camper van and be within good scenery within a couple of hours max.
Day 2 - 5 enjoy Scotland
Day 6 sunrise location followed by tea time flight home

That is what I would do. Your Peak District and Lake District trips can be done later by car. Trying to drop in in the way through rarely works for me. Actually with the time you’ve got available and the time of year I’d do a car trip to lakes and peaks at the end of the month for heather in bloom then plan the Scotland trip for autumn or winter when no midges...

If you can make it as far as Harris, it's stunningly beautiful, particularly the beaches. If you are a whisky fan, Islay is worth a visit.

I agree on both areas Geoham, but OP only has 3 or 4 days in Scotland. Unfortunately he is not going to be able to make it as far as the superb beach at Luskentyre.

Dave

Option 1;

Day 1 drive to northern England
Day 2 drive to Scotland (maybe photograph a sunset location)
Day 3 sunrise location then drive to Skye for example sunset location
Day 4 sunrise location then drive back from Skye sunset location
Day 5 drive to northern England
Day 6 drive home

All with trying to get checked into accommodation and deal with traffic south of the border this would not be my choice.

Option 2;

Day 1 earliest flight of the day Heathrow to Glasgow/Edinburgh/Inverness to hire a car or camper van and be within good scenery within a couple of hours max.
Day 2 - 5 enjoy Scotland
Day 6 sunrise location followed by tea time flight home

That is what I would do. Your Peak District and Lake District trips can be done later by car. Trying to drop in in the way through rarely works for me. Actually with the time you’ve got available and the time of year I’d do a car trip to lakes and peaks at the end of the month for heather in bloom then plan the Scotland trip for autumn or winter when no midges...

Flying is awful though. The peak and Lake District are just lesser areas compared to Scotland and can just be skipped. London to fort William is an easy days drive.

Plenty of landscape photographers in England come frequently up to Scotland to shoot. Truth be told how many photographers in Scotland bother heading to Cumbria or the incredibly boring imho Peak District?

I drive through England...to get to France, Italy and Spain [emoji4]

Flying is awful though. The peak and Lake District are just lesser areas compared to Scotland and can just be skipped. London to fort William is an easy days drive.

Plenty of landscape photographers in England come frequently up to Scotland to shoot. Truth be told how many photographers in Scotland bother heading to Cumbria or the incredibly boring imho Peak District?

I’m Scottish and not sure I agree! I’m pretty new at the photograph game, but I pass through the Lakes regularly and have had a few weekends there. It’s a beautiful place.

You can plan as much as you want but in reality just stick all the mentioned points on the map and follow the light and weather around. There are days when skye is good and glenooe is wet misery and vice versa.

I only do Lake district when Scotland is hopeless. Usually the opposite is true.

This. There are interesting spots and seasonal events but it is not same as going to Scotland or the Alps.

Back