Scotland From Ullapool to Armadale

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

In summer we will drive from Ullapool to Armadale. We've got two days to spend. Leaving Ullapool in the morning, we have to find a b&b somewhere on this route for the night. The next day we will drive to Armadale.
Been a few times in this area but that was before a camera became my friend.
Is there a place not to be missed on this route? Can you recommend me an area where to stay?
Thanks for reading my question!

What sort of photography do you want to do? There are some great opportunities as well as route options, especially since you have the two days... but a few thoughts:

1. If you're driving in the summer you will have one sunrise and probably one sunset on your route (worth stating the obvious that you'll be at the same place for both!), so how are you feeling about getting up - in particular - and going to bed at unsociable hours? You mention "we" - is your travelling partner keen on very early starts / late finishes to get the right shots? Being able to do sunrise & sunset in the same location can give you loads of options of what to shoot, so for me it's really about deciding where vaguely mid-route you want to stop.
2. It's all about the weather/conditions for me - you could go the direct route by the Cairngorms; or the Kyle of Lochalsh/Fort William route; or Beauly/Fort William (or even via Aberdeen) for starters - it might well be better to leave options open until the day before to check weather forecasts as East vs West can be markedly different in terms of cloud cover, rainfall etc.

Personally, I'd rather drive over the Drumochter Pass (say) in great conditions (decent sky and right time of day) than head through Glencoe in drizzle at midday. You might still get some interesting shots in the latter, but it's going to be harder.

Do you want to combine other things with your drive? Will you be going out for a meal etc. and do you want that to be enjoyable/memorable? You've mentioned the photography but I'm not sure how much emphasis you want to place on that for your trip vs "other stuff"... sounds almost sacrilegious saying that, mind ;)

Hi Paul,
Thank you very much for your response. A lot of information, very kind of you.
To start with my dear wife. She really don't care if I am leaving the address at unsociable hours. I am that sociable the rest of the day, that she is very happy being a few hours on her own ;)
No, that's not the problem.
We, my dear wife and I, come over since the late eighties several times a year, so we have visited lots of places, but only the last four years with a camera in the bag.
We will stay just above Ullapool for three nights and then we are heading for Mallaig (ferry to Eigg the next day). So driving from Ullapool to Armadale is the route.
We want to book in advance, because b and b's go fast in summer.
Now we've got the idea to stay in Shieldaig for the night. On our way to Harris we will stay one night nearby the Milarrochy Tree (yes, I know, not very original) and on our way back home we will stay in Glencoe or at the same adres for the Milarrochy Tree again.
Decisions, decisions.

Oops... did you mean Armadale on Skye?!? I thought you meant Armadale near Linlithgow!

If it's the Skye one then you only really have one option in terms of route...

That'll be me not seeing the wood for the trees, so to speak!

No problem, Paul. Common "mistake". When Google has to do the job, the machine finds the same Armadale you did. I had to be a bit more precise.
So no need for an apologize at all.
Thanks again Paul for your contribution!

To be honest, the point about conditions and sunrise/sunset still applies, but if you're hugging that west coast you have so many wonderful location options. To be honest, the weather is likely to be pretty consistent along that west coast, although you can get a slight north-south break with the jet stream (depending on where it is sitting at that time).

Paul, if I may ask, is the Milarrochy tree an option for sunset or sunrise? And would you visit this tree twice (on our way north and back south again) so their is more chance for decent weather or would you visit this tree once and spend an evening/morning in Glencoe trying to make another original shot (Buchaille Etive Mor)?

I'm assuming you mean Armadale on the Isle of Skye and not Armadale in West Lothian. My route would be around the west coast rather than inland. -

Ullapool - Braemore Junction - Kinlochewe - Torridon - Sheildaig - Applecross (via the minor coastal road a mile or so after Shieldaig and marked "Lochcarron Scenic Route" and "Wester Ross Scenic Route") - Pass of the Cattle - Lochacarron - Strathcarron - Auchtertyre - Kyle of Lochalsh - Broadford - Armadale.

The total distance for this route is about 180 miles and splitting the journey half way you'd be looking for accommodation around Torridon village or Shieldaig.

This to look out for -

close to Braemore Junction is Corrieshellach Gorge; worth a visit as long as you have a head for heights.
Most of the journey to Kinlochewe has some great mountain and sea views especially toward Kinlochewe along Loch Maree.
The road from Kinlochewe along Glen Torridon is spectacular..
The coast road toward Applecross has initially good views back the to Torridon hills and then towards Skye.
There are great views from top the Pass of the Cattle on a good day.
At Auchtertyre a short (about 2-3 miles) detour eastwards is Eilean Donan Castle.

Sorry can't help with particular accommodation but there is plenty available, but as you can imagine it does get booked quickly.

Dave

Paul, if I may ask, is the Milarrochy tree an option for sunset or sunrise? And would you visit this tree twice (on our way north and back south again) so their is more chance for decent weather or would you visit this tree once and spend an evening/morning in Glencoe trying to make another original shot (Buchaille Etive Mor)?

Looks like Dave has avoided my mistake ;)

Milarrochy isn't somewhere I've been to shoot, despite being pretty close - I probably don't make as much effort as I should to get out in the summer to get early sunrise / late sunset shots and the western banks of LL is easier for me.. The latter is harder with a young family as well. However, I've seen quite a lot of pretty spectacular sunset shots - from the bay you're looking due West (ish) so a good silhouette should be possible. Also blue hour / night photo could be a striking option. Low water level is preferable as is some (but not total) cloud. You could also look at sunrise with the sun rising behind you so that you get a bit more light falling on the tree (relatively speaking) but still the colours in the sky.

The Oak Tree Inn would also make an excellent stop for dinner!

Bit confused now. The Milarrcohy tree I know of is on Loch Lomond which is a long way south of your route, Willem.

Dave

Bit confused now. The Milarrcohy tree I know of is on Loch Lomond which is a long way south of your route, Willem.

Dave

Dave, I was confused as well at first but I re-read Willem's post and he mentions passing it twice, once north and once south so I'm assuming he's intending to go via LL on his way up and back down from the Highlands & Islands?

Exactly. We take the Rotterdam-Hull crossing this time (for Scotland always Newcastle, but not this time though) heading for Harris again (our favourite place in the UK :) ) and driving in one day isn't possible. We always cut the route in two and stay in Fort William for the night north and south, but this time we like to stay elsewhere, so I was looking for another spot and "found" the Milarrochy Tree. After our stay on Harris, we will spend some time in the Ullapool area and then southbound for Mallaig for the crossing to Eigg. Then back home again to the very Low Lands. On our way home we have to find an stay either in Glencoe or nearby the Tree again.

The Oak Tree Inn has rooms and although I've never stayed there (it's too close to where we live) I think it's supposed to be good and the food & bev offering is excellent. Nice location as well - so many walks from there to take photos from.

Dave, I did forget to thank you for the information: Thanks!
Paul, I will have a look on their site. Thanks.
I know, I am a bit tenacious, but could you give me an advice? Stay for two nights (I mean north and south trying to get the best conditions for the tree) or would you stay one night in Glencoe for the other iconic shot (with the chance of course that the weather is miserable)?

Personally, I'd only stay one night around Balmaha / Rowardennan etc. There's plenty for a day, but I think it'd be a bit of a waste for more than that - there are so many other places as you've said, Glencoe etc. Kings House is a perfect location for the glen but there are plenty of other options in Glencoe, Ballachulish etc.

But it may be more about weather - if you get a great day on the banks of LL then I'd definitely move on. If, however, you're absolutely set on getting that one shot at the expense of a second night then you're doubling your chance of getting decent conditions by staying there in both directions.

Hard to advise as it's largely weather dependent (which is wholly unpredictable even in the summer)!

You're right. Will discuss this with my wife this evening.
Thanks again Paul and have a very nice day!!

I understand now. I agree with Paul about staying one night at Loch Lomond.

As if you haven't enough places to visit already I'll add one more. If you have time a quick drive up Glen Nevis. If you are coming from the north the turning for the glen is at the roundabout just north of the centre of Fort William. There are a few car parks in the glen but as you can imagine they can get very busy in the summer.

As always everything is weather dependent, but as you are regular visitor here, you know all about the weather.

Dave

Been there once, Dave. In winter ;)
The weather ..... well, I don't care. But the last three years we have visited Harris and every time we thought: "This year will be white as never before". And when you see those signs "Road closed snow" in summer, you dream about the coming winter, but no luck yet. Lots of rain. But, still, Scotland in our hearts!

I understand now. I agree with Paul about staying one night at Loch Lomond.

As if you haven't enough places to visit already I'll add one more. If you have time a quick drive up Glen Nevis. If you are coming from the north the turning for the glen is at the roundabout just north of the centre of Fort William. There are a few car parks in the glen but as you can imagine they can get very busy in the summer.

As always everything is weather dependent, but as you are regular visitor here, you know all about the weather.

Dave

That's a superb idea Dave re: Glen Nevis. Coincidentally I'm wild camping up there this coming Friday night. I'll fire you over some pictures Willem so you can "see it for yourself" so to speak. Weather isn't looking fabulous though - seems set to turn this week :(

Despite of the weather, the idea wild camping there is great, Paul. Like to see some pictures of course. Enjoy your trip!

Good luck with the camping Paul; Friday night into Saturday does not look great at the moment.

I can understand Scotland being in your heart; We first visited a little over 30 years ago and have being coming back ever since; it is very special.

Dave

Back