Frosted Trees

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
These shots were taken recently while driving down the A9 from Inverness to Perth. I came out of freezing fog into sunshine and saw this scene.

I raced to get setup and within minutes of these shots being taken the ice was all meted by the sun. It was difficult to get an angle that lit up the trees and showed the frost as the sunny sides were already melted. The sky had to be worked in PS to reduce the burnt out areas in the upper left sky but I am pleased with the result. Not top drawer but pretty pleased with my results.

Any advice / critiscism would be very helpful as I can see some flaws but hopefully you guys can see areas for improvement that I have not considered.

IMG_1140_Drumochter.jpg

IMG_1150_Tree_Drumochter.jpg

Wow ... Lovely catch Himupnorth ! First is reall nice but ... placement of the tree does interfere with the background landscape a little too much ?

Second is better for this but a little over-exposed ? Imo of course !

Great skies too - very well spotted and well worth the effort of a rushed set-up !

TFS

Nice shots! :)

Great shots. The second one is really nice :)

Those almost look like IR shots. Nice :)

great shots there, i drive up that road once a week to inverness and have taken the camera many a time, but it is just so bleak and uninviting at times, you definetly got a great day and great shots.

dod said:
Those almost look like IR shots. Nice :)
i thought they were at first too.

great shot, i like the composition of the second one. i think darkening some of the shadows would help it stand out a little more.

Lovely! I don't see much wrong with those. The second one could do with some highlight control maybe?

The second shot stands out for me. :thumb:

Try tweeking the levels to give it that extra punch, using the white point dropper, and then the grey.

e.g.
Before

After

jewel said:
I like both, but I agree with the others about the second shot. Stands out more,nice job!

Jewel

Have to agree :)

Well worth stopping & getting cold for :)

Thank you so much everyone.
Matt I see where you are going but didn't want to go that far away from what I "saw". I like your take however and I will try to revisit the shot with your points in mind when I have time.

Off to London tomorrow on the "redeye" and taking camera and tripod. Clearing time to take some shots may be the real challenge!

:ty:
A very pleased laddie :D

Back