Frosty morning on Dartmoor

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Made the most of the good weather on Sunday morning and headed up to Hound Tor on Dartmoor. A big mess of rocks, making composition difficult but fun. Also the first proper outing with my new-to-me Nikon D600, an upgrade from my D3300.

Hound Tor by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Hound Tor 3 by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Hound Tor Rocks by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Last edited:
Three very nice landscape style shots, liking all of these very much.

George.

Some nice light here. Number 2 is the better of the bunch for me personally. The first is a very close second, number 3 just doesn't sit quite right but I'm not sure why, it's a little busy.

Some nice light here. Number 2 is the better of the bunch for me personally. The first is a very close second, number 3 just doesn't sit quite right but I'm not sure why, it's a little busy.

I think I agree. 3 doesn’t really have the composition or light. Bit chaotic and no real focus.

#1 doesn't really work for me, although the lighting is quite nice there's no obvious composition and the rocks aren't interesting enough without a sky. 2 and 3 are more like it but I think the compositions could have been improved by making more use of the foreground rocks, and #3 seems to need a lens correction as it's warping. You need to clean your sensor by the looks of it - lots and lots of spots

#1 doesn't really work for me, although the lighting is quite nice there's no obvious composition and the rocks aren't interesting enough without a sky. 2 and 3 are more like it but I think the compositions could have been improved by making more use of the foreground rocks, and #3 seems to need a lens correction as it's warping. You need to clean your sensor by the looks of it - lots and lots of spots

Yes, the sensor is a mess. It's a new (second hand) D600 from MPB, a camera notorious for flinging crap onto the sensor. I've spoken to them and they're taking it back. I'm replacing it with a D610, which Nikon fixed the problem.

Regarding 3, I've straightened the horizon and cloned out the spots... I think I needed more separation between the foreground rock and the mid-ground rock. Unfortunately I couldn't get any higher!

Yes, the sensor is a mess. It's a new (second hand) D600 from MPB, a camera notorious for flinging crap onto the sensor. I've spoken to them and they're taking it back. I'm replacing it with a D610, which Nikon fixed the problem.

Regarding 3, I've straightened the horizon and cloned out the spots... I think I needed more separation between the foreground rock and the mid-ground rock. Unfortunately I couldn't get any higher!

I had that issue from MPB a few years ago with D800E and then a replacement D750 - it was a comedy of errors so I got a refund and bought a brand new D750 from WEX which wasn’t much more expensive after a trade in discount...MPB were apologetic but it did make me wonder if they actually check them before selling.

Even if you could use a stepladder (Charlie Waite tip) the problem with getting higher is the foreground rocks would lose impact...worth working the scene and seeing what else can be done.

I had that issue from MPB a few years ago with D800E and then a replacement D750 - it was a comedy of errors so I got a refund and bought a brand new D750 from WEX which wasn’t much more expensive after a trade in discount...MPB were apologetic but it did make me wonder if they actually check them before selling.

Even if you could use a stepladder (Charlie Waite tip) the problem with getting higher is the foreground rocks would lose impact...worth working the scene and seeing what else can be done.
I imagine when I send it back they'll list it again as before ("excellent condition") until someone either doesn't notice the issue or can't be bothered to return it. The fact they have a no-quibble return policy means I'd probably still use them again.

I tried a re-edit of 2 after reading about ISO-invariance. While ISO-invariance wasn't relevant in this instance, I was intrigued by how well detail could be pulled out of really deep shadow. I actually bracketed the shot and for the original image, merged them on Affinity assuming I wouldn't be able to get everything in one shot. But after seeing examples of 5 stops of brightening in post with great results I gave it a go and actually ended up with an image I was much happier with. I've included the final edit and the original to show how dark the RAW file was. I guess these are the things you discover after going from crop to FF as I would never have been able to do this with my D3300.

Hound Tor 3 (non-HDR) 2 by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Hound Tor 3 dark by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Back