FSU Challenge - Registration & Chat

Those alkaline batteries in the PX625 form factor aren't a proper equivalent because they put out a higher voltage (1.5V). The alkaline batteries also gradually drop voltage as they deplete, while mercury (and Silver Oxide) tend to hold their voltage until they're nearly done, and then drop fast (Silver Oxide cells are usually 1.55V). Unless the camera has a voltage regulator of some sort, the modern replacements will result in shonky meter readings. I've tried them in an Olympus 35RC and a Rollei 35S, and both were off - and not linearly. I seem to remember tweaking something in the 35RC to get it to match a reference meter, but found that it was out at different brightness levels. (The Rolleis have two trim pots inside - one for the basic reading, and one to adjust the linearity of the readings over a range of brightnesses. I've still to calibrate my Rollei to use Silver Oxide cells.)

The only drop-in option if the camera has no voltage regulator is a wien cell, which has a short lifespan. A seal is pulled off to open a vent, at which point the battery puts out a voltage very close to the mercury types, but they only last a few months.

Those alkaline batteries in the PX625 form factor aren't a proper equivalent because they put out a higher voltage (1.5V). The alkaline batteries also gradually drop voltage as they deplete, while mercury (and Silver Oxide) tend to hold their voltage until they're nearly done, and then drop fast (Silver Oxide cells are usually 1.55V). Unless the camera has a voltage regulator of some sort, the modern replacements will result in shonky meter readings. I've tried them in an Olympus 35RC and a Rollei 35S, and both were off - and not linearly. I seem to remember tweaking something in the 35RC to get it to match a reference meter, but found that it was out at different brightness levels. (The Rolleis have two trim pots inside - one for the basic reading, and one to adjust the linearity of the readings over a range of brightnesses. I've still to calibrate my Rollei to use Silver Oxide cells.)

The only drop-in option if the camera has no voltage regulator is a wien cell, which has a short lifespan. A seal is pulled off to open a vent, at which point the battery puts out a voltage very close to the mercury types, but they only last a few months.
Thanks, that's really helpful, as a bit of fun I can live with it working for only a few months, I might try an alkaline just to see if the meter moves at all and then go for the Wein given the price.

If I remember correctly, the 3m doesn't have an instant return mirror.

Correct, there is nothing instant about a 3M. That's a good point - I will watch out for light sneaking in the viewfinder. :nikon:

If you're trying out an old rangefinder for this compo, you might want to try working the film rewind button a few times before committing a film to it. This particularly applies to the Kiev 4 which has its rewind button on the removable back, since it will save you tearing all the sprocket holes when you try to rewind the film. :banghead: Oh well, I suppose it was only Poundland Agfa and not a more expensive film.:rolleyes:

*snigger*

So here is my registration:

FSU-Zenit by TheWub, on Flickr

I thought I'd put a roll of Poundland Agfa through it before registering just to make sure it still worked and it seems to, so I'm good to go.
CNV00013 by TheWub, on Flickr

How is everyone getting on? I've still got a few shots left in my first roll and will hopefully finish it soon.

Any thoughts on the categories? I have to say that I'm struggling with Propaganda (ie, I have nothing for that one so far). It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I have to confess that I hadn't really thought of likely subject matter for that when I came up with the categories. Vague ideas flitted through my mind's eye for the others, but perhaps I was thinking too much about 'Soviet' ideas rather than what might be reasonably doable in the modern West.

There's scope to change it if folks agree, given that the entry threads haven't been created yet. Would a change be okay? I'm thinking that something like Transport, or maybe Urban, Street, Architecture might be more approachable and possibly attract more entries. Thoughts?

I haven't even started yet, still trying to sort out my FPOTY June shot and my Brownie shot, I'll get round to the FSU challenge soon I hope.

Clearly I haven't started. Shame the election has been and gone, I'm sure there were some propaganda opportunities around that but I'd be happy to leave the categories as they are it's good to have a challenge.

I've ruled out on of my soviet cameras on account of the shutter speeds being a bit weird to engage... so that only leaves three to choose from

A bump for this thread, and a reminder that the challenge is still open. Closing date is 7th November, so there's still plenty of time to register and get some shooting done.

I've got some shots for Machinery & Industry and The Workers, and have just had an idea for Propaganda, but it might take a bit of shoe leather to track down.

Bump, Comrades...

:runaway: Is that the time?

I have kept thinking I really must get on with this and now I am really busy over the next few weeks and it is dark in the evenings...

:runaway: Is that the time?

I have kept thinking I really must get on with this and now I am really busy over the next few weeks and it is dark in the evenings...
Take it to work, Comrade :)

This is only the second film challenge I've ever entered and I am wondering what the etiquette is regarding PP? Is it completely SOOC or are minor tweaks, cropping, spot removal, etc allowed?

This is only the second film challenge I've ever entered and I am wondering what the etiquette is regarding PP? Is it completely SOOC or are minor tweaks, cropping, spot removal, etc allowed?
I don't see any problem with a bit of PP.
The camera doesn't cause dust spots from scanning, the scanning process will not produce an image as sharp as a print (unless you're using a top end scanner)
and prints were often cropped.

Well I've got a problem taking a shot with a multi-meter #55 so guess I'll come last as I don't fancy the idea of turning the case into a pinhole camera :eek: :D

The entries threads have been created, and links to them have been added to the first post in this thread.

Closing date is November the 7th, which is next Tuesday, so you still have a few days (including a weekend) to do something if you've been lax/busy, or have forgotten.

Again :runaway:

why did I think it was the 17th :(, I have got one roll processed but was planning on getting some more this weekend but no time to get them processed by the 7th. But hey-ho, I'll post something :)

This being F&C, sometimes the thread creators give a little leeway... that @Nomad Z looks pretty fierce, though! :)

I'm fine with an extension. Let's make it Sunday the 19th, and keep the closing date for voting the same (7th December). Even if it takes me a couple of days to sort out the polls, that should still be plenty of time for voting.

After a far too much agonising I've finally posted the rest of my shots so we can crack on with the voting :exit:

:D

I've taken 6 pics...

Off to Linlithgow tomorrow.

I've taken 6 pics...

Off to Linlithgow tomorrow.

Ah yes, bonny Lithgy toon. Might have to hunt a bit for soviet style subjects, but plenty of scope for anything goes.

I've got a handful of shots left, but not sure how many because I forgot to set the film counter at the start. Thinking of going to South Queensferry.

Really sorry that I missed this challenge, unfortunately all the entries I managed to shoot are still in the camera, it was a great idea perhaps a little tricky as I was looking to cover all challenges on one roll of film and ended up unfinished, maybe it will have to wait to the next October revolution.

Bump - voting closes in 5 days. See my earlier post for links to the entries threads, with polls.

Nick, perhaps it would have been better with less categories. I found a couple were quite tough.

'Scuse the delay. :)

Firstly, thank you to everyone that entered. Some of the categories were a bit tougher than I thought they might have been at first.

The votes have been counted and verified, and The Collective has registered its adulation as follows...

Machinery & Industry, with 6 votes.... Me! :)
The Workers, with 9 votes... sirch!
Propaganda, with 5 votes... everybody! (A 3-way tie)
Anything Goes, with 7 votes... Peter B!

And that makes sirch the overall winner with his cracking shot of the young lady in front of a woodpile, holding an axe. I have to say, when I first saw this photo, for a moment, I thought it really was an old shot from the Soviet era - everything about it is just spot on.

Back