Fuji 100-400

Edit My Images
Yes
As my hand issues ( arthritis and tendonitis ) progress I'm pretty much giving up on dSLRs cameras and using my Fuji X almost exclusively. The only thing is I'm retiring soon and I've been keeping my mint and unused 7D2 and 5DIV, hoping that I might pursue some wildlife and especially bird photography

Anyway, as I say, hands aren't getting much better and it seems a shame to have them lying around doing nothing so I'm probably going to sell them.

I was considering a Fuji 100-400 lens to go on my X -T3 but I recollect trying one a few years back and finding it was wobbly on a tripod due the oddly ineffective mount fitting. I'm wondering if any users have found a workaround for this issue? In all other respects I liked the lens so its a shame its let down by this poor design feature. If there was a way to solve it I'd buy one in a flash.

OTOH giving my complete lack of use of the Canons and lenses, I might have no option

Not sure what you mean by "oddly ineffective mount fitting". The tripod mount on mine fits to the lens properly and the foot bolts securely to the QR plate.

Never had any issues with mine either. Only complaint I really had was that the mounting foot was too small to hold the lens by and carry about for long periods.

It's possible I'm wrong but I'm almost certain I found it to be a bit spaghetti - like compared to my Canon mounts. If you guys have used it extensively on tripod with the mount and say it's fine then I am willing to believe I'm confusing this.

No issues with mine, foot bolts tight and secure to an arca swiss plate and that fits securely to tripod. I also use the foot/arca swiss plate to attach to a small clamp attached to my Black rapid strap. Not ever felt this was loose or at risk of failing

Never had that issue either. Build quality is superb, it’s quite a heavy lens though.

I've used the 100-400 extensively; on tripod & handheld; with & without the 1.4TC, and I have never found an issue with it, other than, with the TC fitted, you do need to be in good light and your subjects needs to fill at least 25% of the frame.

Never had an issue with the tripod foot. It has 2 screws fitting it to the lens, and then a third to allow you to adjust the orientation of the lens when mounted. This Flickr album is of my wildlife shots on my Fuji kit, most of them are on the 100-400, many are tripod mounted from a hide (usually WWT in Barnes before we moved to Wiltshire).

Back