Fuji 90mm f2 question

Name
PHILIP
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys

I'm really interested in buying this lens and wanted to know just how close to the subject you can get with this lens. Reason i ask is I'm going to be doing a newborn shoot in the next couple of weeks for a friend and was hoping to use this for some detail shots of hands and feet etc. Obviously a macro lens would be better, but I cant afford this and would get more daily use out of the 90mm.

I've read it can focus fairly close but i'd love to see some examples to help make my mind up.

The other lenses I have are the 56mm 1.2 and the 23mm f2. The 23mm is great but suffers softeness when focussing at minimum focus distance and the 56 just doesnt get close enough.

About 2ft.

Quick SooC jog to give you an idea of the field of view. So 4 1/2" will fill the screen in landscape approx at that distance.

DSCF1004.jpg

Spec sheet says 0.6m.
23/2 is 0.22m.
The “complaints” about the 23/2 being soft at mfd are comparing it to the 23/1.4 which has an mfd of 0.6m.
At 0.6m the 23/2 is good.

Another option is the 60mm which is not that expensive used.

Hi guys

I'm really interested in buying this lens and wanted to know just how close to the subject you can get with this lens. Reason i ask is I'm going to be doing a newborn shoot in the next couple of weeks for a friend and was hoping to use this for some detail shots of hands and feet etc. Obviously a macro lens would be better, but I cant afford this and would get more daily use out of the 90mm.

I've read it can focus fairly close but i'd love to see some examples to help make my mind up.

The other lenses I have are the 56mm 1.2 and the 23mm f2. The 23mm is great but suffers softeness when focussing at minimum focus distance and the 56 just doesnt get close enough.

quite close

poppy appeal by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr

These are of our 9 week old granddaughter.

9 weeks 6.jpg 9 weeks 7_.jpg

She was crying at the time so far from perfect. Also, mother would not allow flash.
with 50mm F2.

Last edited:
Note that manufacturers quote closest focus measured from the sensor. The Minimum Working Distance is measured from the front of the lens, but is usually only found in reviews.

Back