fuji b&w

port rates? Arcatuter? What you talkin' bout Willis? :)

What does the camera have to do with it? For superb black and white images, you need to capture in colour anyway, and then selectively filter the channels.

ok
so camera takes colur pic then converts it to b&w in camera
when shooting in b&w
is that right

The only camera that has a black and white sensor is the Leica M monochrome, and it is a snip at over £6,000.00 body only.
All other cameras either convert in camera or better still allow you to convert from raw.

Most black and white film photographers controlled the tones with filters. To day, this is better and more effectively done with channels in post processing.

It is amazing how strongly it brings back feelings and images, when I think about fitting a yellow green filter to my first camera.

Last edited:
Read some reviews online, there are plenty. Overall the xe2 is a newer generation than xp1 so if you dont need an ovf its the better camera.

Last edited:
X-Pro doesn't have wi-fi, not sure about XE2. Focussing on the X-Pro is OK, not as fast as an SLR, but quick enough for most things unless you're doing sports, airshows, wildlife - it's not that kind of camera though. I've not missed any shots as a result of the AF.

Battery life isn't bad, probably not as good as my SLR, but there again SLR doesn't have video and the X-Pro does.

Go into a shop and play - the X-Pro is a fairly big body, but you really need to go and try them as they're two different cameras really. I thought I'd prefer the optical viewfinder, but in actual fact, I tend to use the electronic one more often than not.

sigma dp has a very nice black and white look to it, the leica mono needs working on files as the default is very grey

ok
so camera takes colur pic then converts it to b&w in camera
when shooting in b&w
is that right

My advice is don't shoot in B&W. Convert it yourself later.. properly.

I presume it's because of it's good high ISO capabilities, good quality primes, and lightness compared to a DSLR. The cameras black and white capabilities are likely to be secondary although I can't substantiate that. Batch converting to black and white in the likes of Lightroom isn't exactly difficult or time consuming though. But black and white is best processed on an individual basis IMO.

I doubt very many pros use the built in Black and white setting. I should imagine the vast majority shoot in RAW then use something like VSCO in Lightroom, or their own presets. Im no pro, but Id never rely on the in camera B&W to do it for me. Takes me 30 seconds, if that to process an image, hardly hours.

Whats your point? A Fujifim blog, with fujifilm staff using fujifilm cameras for a fujifim workshop using fujifilm in camera B&W conversion? Well thats kinda expected dontchathink.

I think you are getting confused here.. No one is saying pros don't use Fuji Cameras.. Many hundreds do, I own the XE-2 myself..

You are talking about shooting in black and white, and we are telling you to shoot in RAW and create the black and white in software.. But you aren't listening, so I can't be bothered any more.

Last edited:
Whats your point? A Fujifim blog, with fujifilm staff using fujifilm cameras for a fujifim workshop using fujifilm in camera B&W conversion? Well thats kinda expected dontchathink.

I think you are getting confused here.. No one is saying pros don't use Fuji Cameras.. Many hundreds do, I own the XE-2 myself..

You are talking about shooting in black and white, and we are telling you to shoot in RAW and create the black and white in software.. But you aren't listening, so I can't be bothered any more.
so have gone into quick menu selted b&w you can add coulor filters and shadows etc and take a few jpeg pics

If you like the look of those, then that's the camera for you. I personally think they look a bit muddy, but my own preference is for a higher contrast in my black and white, which is why I convert them myself and do selective tonal adjustments, or if I'm in a hurry, I use Nik Silver Efex Pro.

Whether they are any better than in camera black and white jpegs from any other camera is a matter of personal taste.

I have a few custom setups on my fuji's but now nearly always shoot RAW + JPEG with a B&W filter on the JPEGS, best of both worlds.

Back