Fuji for action shots

Name
Liz
Edit My Images
Yes
am looking for some advise I currently own a xe-1 and a canon 7d and various lenses, I am on hols at the moment and on this occasion have brought along the 7d mainly to take pictures of my dogs having fun on the beach, however I have been reminded just how much of a heavy beast it is with 70 - 200 attached so am seriously considering getting rid of all my canon equipment for a better Fuji which I love, my question is which of the current x series if any are capable of coping with fast moving spaniels?.

I think most people will say XT2. I own a XT1 and i'm struggling to shoot my baby. I think lens choice is very important too. For example, it is impossible for me to shoot my moving baby with 18mm f2.

Yup, I reckon an X-T2 with an 18-135 or 18-55 would fit the bill very nicely. Not necessarily a cheap option but in photography, those are few and far between! That's not to say that the Fuji will be better than a DSLR in the situation but it will come close and be a hell of a lot more portable.

x-t2 - there are a number of customisable focus settings for different scenarios.
lens wise, consider these :

16-55mm f2.8
90mm f2
50-140mm f2.8
100-400mm f4.5-5.6

X-T1 should be fine (and by extension, the cheaper X-T10) but you'd need to pair it with a decent, newer lens. The 55-200 may just cut it, but ideally you're heading into 50-140mm 2.8 or 90mm f2 territory to get a decent, snappy lens, both of those are reasonably hefty and quite expensive though.

I don't have a dog, but did shoot at the WHF with the X-T1/50-140 and found that to be excellent. This beast was coming towards me at quite a pace but got a few good shots before diving back...

Wildlife Heritage Foundation by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

No problems with this one either...

Last edited:
Thanks already have the 18 -55 and 55 -200 so am half way there on lenses

X-T1 should be fine (and by extension, the cheaper X-T10) but you'd need to pair it with a decent, newer lens. The 55-200 may just cut it, but ideally you're heading into 50-140mm 2.8 or 90mm f2 territory to get a decent, snappy lens.

I don't have a dog, but did shoot at the WHF with the X-T1/50-140 and found that to be excellent. This beast was coming towards me at quite a pace but got a few good shots before diving back...

No problems with this one either...

Think they'd be good enough for me :)

I think most people will say XT2. I own a XT1 and i'm struggling to shoot my baby. I think lens choice is very important too. For example, it is impossible for me to shoot my moving baby with 18mm f2.

I have no idea why you're having such trouble. The XT-1 is more than capable, it was completely fine pre-XT-2 arrival, it does the same job now. I have the old 35 1.4 which is considered a sluggish lens, and I have shot kid's birthday parties using it on the XT-1. Timing, patience, shoot more than you need ...

I have no idea why you're having such trouble. The XT-1 is more than capable, it was completely fine pre-XT-2 arrival, it does the same job now. I have the old 35 1.4 which is considered a sluggish lens, and I have shot kid's birthday parties using it on the XT-1. Timing, patience, shoot more than you need ...

Unpredictable movement and non stop running from my baby and poor lighting makes it difficult. I'm not saying the XT1 can't be done but in my experience the shots is not great for me. The 18mm f2 is a great lens, but it does focus slow in those situation. The 35mm f2 is slightly better, I've not try it in good light yet so can't comment, but poor light it is hard.

Last edited:
Unpredictable movement and non stop running from my baby and poor lighting makes it difficult. I'm not saying the XT1 can't be done but in my experience the shots is not great for me. The 18mm f2 is a great lens, but it does focus slow in those situation. The 35mm f2 is slightly better, I've not try it in good light yet so can't comment, but poor light it is hard.

I do understand, as I used to do a lot of family portraits - often inc toddlers. But it does take practice, and good timing even with high end dslr + fast lenses. Try pointing to a spot for her to run to [use toys or props to catch her attention to the spot] and practice pre-focusing. Just one way to ensure you get more keepers :)

Last edited:
Taken with an X-T2 two days after release of the gear so no time to practice. Does your spaniel move this fast

A bit of an aside, but shooting a small moving animal/human is a whole different ballgame to panning a vehicle. Basic side-on panning is fundamentally not at all stressful for an AF system.

Last edited:
I do understand, as I used to do a lot of family portraits - often inc toddlers. But it does take practice, and good timing even with high end dslr + fast lenses. Try pointing to a spot for her to run to [use toys or props to catch her attention to the spot] and practice pre-focusing. Just one way to ensure you get more keepers :)

I see what you mean, is definite a practice thing. I need to alter my technique. I'm so use to shooting action on D3 that you forget the fuji is not the same.

Taken with an X-T2 two days after release of the gear so no time to practice. Does your spaniel move this fast:D

A bit of an aside, but shooting a small moving animal/human is a whole different ballgame to panning a vehicle. Basic side-on panning is fundamentally not at all stressful for an AF system.

As Chris points out, a child/dog/snail (OK, that might be an exaggeration!) coming towards the camera is more of a challenge to any focussing system than panning.

I assume from your initial comments about weight that you have the f2.8 rather than the f4, so if I am wrong please excuse the following.
Personally I would keep the 7D and change the lens to either the 70-200 f4 L IS or the 70-300 L.
Perhaps its me but I have the XT-1 and the Canon 5Dmk2 and personally I find tracking with the FUJI a PITA , particularly with bursts when trying BIF's and the EVF blackout does not help ( its literally spray and pray) , its not a patch on the 7D I used to have, but fortunately most of my shots are static so its no big deal

I assume from your initial comments about weight that you have the f2.8 rather than the f4, so if I am wrong please excuse the following.
Personally I would keep the 7D and change the lens to either the 70-200 f4 L IS or the 70-300 L.
Perhaps its me but I have the XT-1 and the Canon 5Dmk2 and personally I find tracking with the FUJI a PITA , particularly with bursts when trying BIF's and the EVF blackout does not help ( its literally spray and pray) , its not a patch on the 7D I used to have, but fortunately most of my shots are static so its no big deal
No it's the F4,,and it's not so much weight as size and bulk, I have to say I do a lot of landscapes as well, I'm finding that I don't use my camera as much as I would like because i just can't be bothered lugging it around, I don't mind spray and pray, when shooting the woofas to a certain degree

No it's the F4,,and it's not so much weight as size and bulk, I have to say I do a lot of landscapes as well, I'm finding that I don't use my camera as much as I would like because i just can't be bothered lugging it around, I don't mind spray and pray, when shooting the woofas to a certain degree

I know how you feel, I get the same with my 5D with a TS-E, a tripod and a geared head but sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and put up with it if we need that shot(s)

Back