The R is a bit odd, it's just the same as the original GFX in a different body, or so it seems. The 100mb one will surely interest studio pros, but for the rest of us ... well beyond me that's for sure.

The R is a bit odd, it's just the same as the original GFX in a different body, or so it seems. The 100mb one will surely interest studio pros, but for the rest of us ... well beyond me that's for sure.
Hi, high MP values are fascinating, but one must live with the consequences for the personal IT.

Another concern might be the missing IS, meaning back to the monopod (or even tripod) again ... ---

But generally, it has to be said, we live in interesting times for the photo industry.

The low-end will covered by covered by smartphones in the near future. - So, all manufacturers are racing to the top, where the money is.

Competition will become fiercer, and high-end bodies will become more reasonably priced.

Hi, high MP values are fascinating, but one must live with the consequences for the personal IT.

Another concern might be the missing IS, meaning back to the monopod (or even tripod) again ... ---

But generally, it has to be said, we live in interesting times for the photo industry.

The low-end will covered by covered by smartphones in the near future. - So, all manufacturers are racing to the top, where the money is.

Competition will become fiercer, and high-end bodies will become more reasonably priced.

I can't ever see IBIS being implemented into a Medium Format body, it would have to be massive surely? These are slow cameras, designed for studio use on tripods. Of course you can use them out and about, but the experience will be nothing like using a faster, smaller sensor camera, even FF.

The R is a bit odd, it's just the same as the original GFX in a different body, or so it seems..

Its a cost exercise and making the electronics more efficient requiring less cooling, fits in a smaller body. Its likely to cost 75% of a GFX50S, which makes it about the same as an A9, though different beasts it is moving MF into the top end consumer market.

Pancake lens coming as well, to make the whole thing lighter and more portable.

In reality its a bit like having X-T2 and X-E3 in the range, different bodies for different applications/markets.

Its a shame the new X-T3 Processor 4 didn't make it into the 50R, as that would have made it zippier, but it has to lumber on with the old Processor Pro (same as X-T2)

Just seen the price for the GX100s ...$10K :eek: ....it's got IBIS though :D so I was well wrong on that

Interesting that a quick look at 2nd hand GFX50S' shows them at the same price as a new 50R. If I ever convinced myself into digital mini-MF, I'd go (2nd hand) 50S. Being left eye dominant sucks. And the design is very boxy. Not my cuppa.

I can't ever see IBIS being implemented into a Medium Format body, it would have to be massive surely? These are slow cameras, designed for studio use on tripods. Of course you can use them out and about, but the experience will be nothing like using a faster, smaller sensor camera, even FF.
Well, I am afraid, ultimately convenience (or laziness) will win. Thinking back, I never took my Fuji 645 or my ROLLEI GX 2.8 on holiday ... ---

Interesting that a quick look at 2nd hand GFX50S' shows them at the same price as a new 50R. If I ever convinced myself into digital mini-MF, I'd go (2nd hand) 50S. Being left eye dominant sucks. And the design is very boxy. Not my cuppa.

If Fuji start offering incentive deals anywhere similar to those on the 50S (£1200 cashback with a lens) with the 50R, then it will move the goalposts

This camera in panoramic mode + Kipon Speedbooster + Pentax 67 45mm f/4 = Digital XPan.

In full frame mode it would be a digital Mamiya 7.

Capture One finally supports Fuji.

Very, very tempted.

Sure, because medium format just looks better than miniature format anyway.

Sure, because medium format just looks better than miniature format anyway.
I won't argue with that. - However, I didn't use my medium format cameras very often. Took rangefinders or SLRs with me.

But basically this is a question of ease-of-use (or laziness :)) ... ---

Sure. The only open question for me: Is the IQ better than that of the "FF" competition (SONY, Nikon) having IS ... ---
This quite a good question / topic, I guess it comes down to what your using the files for..... if your scaling down the images from both, would you see the difference?

This quite a good question / topic, I guess it comes down to what your using the files for..... if your scaling down the images from both, would you see the difference?
Well, I am not sure whether it is wise to ask sobre questions when most people are euphoric at the Fuij announcement.

For me, it is very simple. - Presently, I use Leica, Nikon and Sony "FF" (mostly). So, what do I gain, when buying the new Fuji "medium format" - and what do I lose (apart from some cash).

(I have the same "problem" with my cars. My present V8 estate has 300 hp. The current model has 400 hp. I am not sure, what I gain in normal traffic with speed limits ... ---)

On the other hand, there are more serious problems than new cameras (or cars) ... --- :)

Sure. The only open question for me: Is the IQ better than that of the "FF" competition (SONY, Nikon) having IS ... ---

It sure is better Sir, the GFX50s wipes the floor of FF units. I outed all of my MF ‘blad equipment to change to them and have never regretted the move. (y)

George.

It sure is better Sir, the GFX50s wipes the floor of FF units. I outed all of my MF ‘blad equipment to change to them and have never regretted the move. (y)

George.
Good for you! - I am somewhat undecided, but this is my "problem". But one never knows what can happen during those long winter nights, reading reviews, and looking for a Christmas present (for oneself) ... ---

Photography is my hobby. - I practise it with flexibly deployed rationality ... :)

Well, I am not sure whether it is wise to ask sobre questions when most people are euphoric at the Fuij announcement.

For me, it is very simple. - Presently, I use Leica, Nikon and Sony "FF" (mostly). So, what do I gain, when buying the new Fuji "medium format" - and what do I lose (apart from some cash).

(I have the same "problem" with my cars. My present V8 estate has 300 hp. The current model has 400 hp. I am not sure, what I gain in normal traffic with speed limits ... ---)

On the other hand, there are more serious problems than new cameras (or cars) ... --- :)

I presume it's the same discussion (just in reverse) on what you lose going from FF to APS-C.

If FF to APS-C is negligible for you (as it is for many), I'd assume FF - Medium Formant (bearing in mind it's the smallest Medium format possible when considering the film definition), would be the same.
Conversely, if the difference between FF and APS-C is night and day (as it is for some), I presume you'd want to step even closer to the sun and jump at the MF goodness.

I presume it's the same discussion (just in reverse) on what you lose going from FF to APS-C.

If FF to APS-C is negligible for you (as it is for many), I'd assume FF - Medium Formant (bearing in mind it's the smallest Medium format possible when considering the film definition), would be the same.
Conversely, if the difference between FF and APS-C is night and day (as it is for some), I presume you'd want to step even closer to the sun and jump at the MF goodness.

Hi, I have "FF" systems in use, so I took the step from APS-C there. For me it is not going to "MF", but getting an additional system.

And I have a very positive attitude towards "MF" and Fuji, as you can see below. I am simply undecided. But I do not want to spoil the fun here. My considerations are simply too solipsistic.

So, I leave this thread ... ---

Fuji-DSC09710-a7r2-z50ma_bearbeitet-1.jpg

Fuji-DSC09709-a7r2-z50ma_bearbeitet-1.jpg

Fuji MF May be larger than it seems if you favour 4x3 or square formats since there is less ‘wastage’ than with FF or APS-C. YMMV;)

Andrew I think the issue here is the size of the lenses, the OVF would have to be quite a way from the lens mount to give the required FOV, and I suspect that would have made the body too large.

I think you might be right as that’s the claimed reasoning behind the body size of the xpro. I personally don’t think the GW670 or the GW690 bodies are too big so would be happy with such a design. The fact it is still larger than the mirrorless hassleblad is dissapointing though as I’d put my money there if it was more affordable.

I’m sure the camera will be an absolutely wonderful tool to use but that small OVF omission does detract from the charm you get with the X100 and XPro series. It was one of the reasons I couldn’t get to grips with the XE. Mind over matter and all that!

I don’t need one of these but oh my do I want one!!!

I’m sorta with you... I’m hoping that it’ll drive used prices on the 50S down. Can not afford either.

Wondering what my whole cache of gear is worth..

Still short of a couple of grand...:(

Back