fuji help

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
hi all

i am thinking about getting a fuji x100 secondhand. anyone have one of those? would it be worth stretching to the x100s? it's quite a leap. i am using as a replacement to my mobile phone. something to carry around with me that can be fixed focal length, pocketable, decent in low light (doesn't need to be amazing), sharp, AF doesn't have to be very fast either. also i am aware of the x70 but it is too wide for me.

any thoughts welcome

cheers

Last edited:
Hiya I loved my x100 over my x100s for b&w and colour work but the x100s was a little better at moving subjects and larger files.
For me that didn't warrant the extra cost get the x100 IMHO.

hi all

i am thinking about getting a fuji x100 secondhand. anyone have one of those? would it be worth stretching to the x100s? it's quite a leap. i am using as a replacement to my mobile phone. something to carry around with me that can be fixed focal length, pocketable, decent in low light (doesn't need to be amazing), sharp, AF doesn't have to be very fast either. also i am aware of the x70 but it is too wide for me.

any thoughts welcome

cheers
It's not really pocketable though. In fact it's quite large. Unfortunately there is nothing that fits the criteria I'm on the same quest.

Last edited:
It's not really pocketable though. In fact it's quite large. Unfortunately there is nothing that fits the criteria I'm on the same quest.

Was about to say the same thing if the x100 is pocketable your wearing some pretty funky trousers!

Ricoh GR fits the bill. Excellent image quality, same focal length as your phone and fits in your pocket...

If you're going to put any camera with an extending lens into your pocket then beware of dust/lint getting sucked into the lens. IMHO it is best to keep the camera in a dedicated case on your belt.
The Ricoh GR and the Panasonic LX 100 suffer from this. The Fuji X100 is not pocketable - I had one and it was a lovely camera but I sold it as I found the fixed 23mm lens too limiting.

Last edited:
X100 fan here. I've got a couple. Both original. Can't see a reason for what I shoot to upgrade. Love the colours from them...BUT. ..not pocketable

I was in town yesterday and had play with loads of cameras in John Lewis. Its a stretch to call any of the enthusiast compacts and CSC pocketable. even the rx100iii the smallest I looked at, would be a pain getting in and out of my jeans. It's was helpful experience. I decided I couldn't get on with the rangefinder style cameras either being left eye dominant.

Last edited:
I was in town yesterday and had play with loads of cameras in John Lewis. Its a stretch to call any of the enthusiast compacts and CSC pocketable. even the rx100iii the smallest I looked at, would be a pain getting in and out of my jeans. It's was helpful experience. I decided I couldn't get on with the rangefinder style cameras either being left eye dominant.
Fair play to you for getting out and getting your hands on them. I've often had a strong suspicion that a lot of internet anger and opinionating comes from people who've never touched the product in question!

Fair enough about the left eye dominance thing, but how small a camera are you looking for? And are you happy to make the resulting compromises a smaller sensor will entail? Personally I think a 1" sensor in the current or next gen is about as small as I'd like to go, but understand that's a personal preference.

I use a black rapid strap it's the best way. Put on a very good screen protector and away you go!

Fair play to you for getting out and getting your hands on them. I've often had a strong suspicion that a lot of internet anger and opinionating comes from people who've never touched the product in question!

Fair enough about the left eye dominance thing, but how small a camera are you looking for? And are you happy to make the resulting compromises a smaller sensor will entail? Personally I think a 1" sensor in the current or next gen is about as small as I'd like to go, but understand that's a personal preference.

Well i decided i'm going to move to fuji and after making my mind up on viewfinder position i'm going to get the x-t10 more than likely.

Well i decided i'm going to move to fuji and after making my mind up on viewfinder position i'm going to get the x-t10 more than likely.

An XT-10 with an XF 27mm pancake lens is a good walkabout camera - shorter but taller than an X100

I wear normal trousers and I have no issues at all putting the X100T in my pockets. It's not a large camera at all.

Clearly everyone's trousers will differ but I don't own a single pair with a pocket that would comfortably swallow an x100t!

Clearly everyone's trousers will differ but I don't own a single pair with a pocket that would comfortably swallow an x100t!
Me neither - but there again, some people are better endowed than others :)

The only camera (that I know of) that fits your brief is a Ricoh GR - but then that is the same focal length as the X70.
Other truly pocketable, useable cameras with good IQ - Sony RX100 Mk1, Panasonic LF1 (even has a viewfinder) and my current favourite, Canon GX9.
With some compacts (LF1, RX100Mk111) you can set it so the camera starts at your chosen zoom fl eg 35mm. This would give you your "fixed" fl but with the option to change it.

Im at work, hence wearing a suit. The x100t drops in nicely to the trouser pocket. Not sure if that means I've got more or less room down there ...
They call him MC Hammer at work, clearly.....
(-;

I had that camera and loved it. Even with 16-50mm kit lens. Although not pocketable. Nor is my X-E2 with the 27mm pancake lens, which is pretty much the same size as an x100. I have one issue with that lens though... When I attach a filter to it, occasionally it will not focus and instead prompt me to turn the camera off and on again. I don't have that problem at all when not using a filter, so I'm guessing the lens struggles with the extra weight of a filter (and step up ring as 39mm thread is uncommon), as it does hunt for focus a fair bit. I'd be intrigued to know if anyone else suffers from the same issue with that lens.. Otherwise, I love that set up.

I had that camera and loved it. Even with 16-50mm kit lens. Although not pocketable. Nor is my X-E2 with the 27mm pancake lens, which is pretty much the same size as an x100. I have one issue with that lens though... When I attach a filter to it, occasionally it will not focus and instead prompt me to turn the camera off and on again. I don't have that problem at all when not using a filter, so I'm guessing the lens struggles with the extra weight of a filter (and step up ring as 39mm thread is uncommon), as it does hunt for focus a fair bit. I'd be intrigued to know if anyone else suffers from the same issue with that lens.. Otherwise, I love that set up.
The filter/step-up ring is too large and interferes with the AF - This is the only Fuji lens that I use without a filter

Maybe pocketable just meant carrying it in a small bag or something... Then the X100 would fit well, although one shouldn't underestimate the weight of the camera. I went for the X70 as alternative instead of upgrading my old X100 to a newer version. The X70 gives enough quality to crop to similar results of the 12 MP X100, one just looses 1,5 apertures in depth-of-field, in terms of ISO the newer sensor evens that out. But that said, the X100 is the first camera I didn't sell after upgrading, I still have it and love to use it, and that tells something about the camera :).

When you buy the X100 you should check if it is a newer revised model already (or if the lens was changed some time ago), otherwise the camera will suffer the sticky-aperture-blade error after a while. I don't remember the exact serial number from which on the revised lens was used, but I can look it up if you are interested.

Back