Fuji lenses - 18-55, or wait for the 18-135 ?

Name
Patrick
Edit My Images
Yes
I could do with a wide to medium tele lens for my XT-1 as I only have a 35mm prime. I had planned to buy the 18-135 but it seems to be delayed and I've heard nasty rumours about the price (does anyone have this info ?). I'd prefer the extra length, probable iq and aperture advantages as well as the waterproofing, but if the new lens is £1k plus I can't justify one. What is the consensus ?

The 18-135mm has to be amazingly good for Fuji to justify a price tag of £1000 plus. If my guess is correct it is going to be another affordable excellent lens. I don't think it will be that long now so if it's me I would wait.

I have the 18-55 and it's fabulous - way better than most lenses of that type and FL range (which tend to be kit lenses). I'm hoping that the 18-135 will be reasonably priced and as good optically as the shorter zoom since I should be getting a £250 voucher against it after registering my X-T1 and would probably trade the 18-55 in against it as well purely because the 18-135 will be weather sealed. The forthcoming lens will need to be good though for me to make the switch since the 18-55 is so good.

Hopefully it won't be near the 1k mark, my plans are cause I like my zooms is add the 18-135mm & the 16-55 F2.8 :)

I have the 18-55 and it's fabulous - way better than most lenses of that type and FL range (which tend to be kit lenses). I'm hoping that the 18-135 will be reasonably priced and as good optically as the shorter zoom since I should be getting a £250 voucher against it after registering my X-T1 and would probably trade the 18-55 in against it as well purely because the 18-135 will be weather sealed. The forthcoming lens will need to be good though for me to make the switch since the 18-55 is so good.

I forgot about that £250 voucher. Hopefully this will be sent out soon :)

What's does 135mm equate to in 35mm terms. Anyone know ? I'm not normally a fan of long zoom lens due to barrel slip etc, I'm following this with interest.

If this lens is going to be F3.5-5.6 then I doubt it will be above a grand. The £250 voucher has only been offered to those who bought and registered their XT-1 body only

I would've thought the price would've been at around £500 when you look at the other competition CSC with a similar focal length lens such as Olympus or Panasonic 14-140mm £450 and Sony 18-105mm f/4 Nex £450 ?

I would've thought the price would've been at around £500 when you look at the other competition CSC with a similar focal length lens such as Olympus or Panasonic 14-140mm £450 and Sony 18-105mm f/4 Nex £450 ?

I was thinking about the same,i dont think above the £600 mark :)

What's does 135mm equate to in 35mm terms. Anyone know ? I'm not normally a fan of long zoom lens due to barrel slip etc, I'm following this with interest.

135 x 1.5 = 202.5. The Fuji lenses seem to be significantly better than other manufacturers' kit offerings and (as yet) have no 3rd party competition. The £250 voucher was offered to buyers of the X-T kit as well as body only - just waiting for the voucher/e-mail to be sent!

I have the Pentax 18-135 wr lens and it's a brilliant walkround lens. Just long enough and just wide enough without being so big a zoom range to totally compromise quality. I'm very interested in seeing Fuji's take on it. It may well push me to the x system.

I emailed Fuji today and they are hoping to release the lens in July. They didn't Answer my pricing question - not that I blame them. I've ordered an 18-55 in the mean time.

Last edited:
Dealers don't know when or how much it's going to be. Given that the 10-24 is £850 or so, I have a nasty feeling the 18-135 might be not cheap but I reckon I can survive with just the one kidney! But then how would I fund the 50-140 f/2.8? Maybe prices for the 18-135 will drop by this time next year - we can but hope!

You would expect it to be around the RRP of the 55-200mm which is £599.00, unless they are going to charge an extra premium for the WR?

I have the 18-55 and think it's a great lens. This IS is very good! There are a few around for good money too. I guess you have to weigh up whether you need the extra range 55 onwards. I don't know on price. If it was close to £1k money then I would sway more for the 18-55 unless I really needed that extra zoom range however if it was around the £599 mark as a few have mentioned then I would probably wait for that as you wouldn't be paying much more for the extra range.

My bet is £750. +/- £250! Hoping I get as good trade in price on the 18 as I did on the 60 - combine it with the £250 voucher from Fuji and I could probably just about justify it. Then again, if the 18-55 went in against it and I kept the prime... No, that way lies madness!!!

Do we know what speed this is going to be yet ? Surely it's not going to be as fast as f2.8 or faster ?

If it is it may negate people buying primes. If it is slower than f2.8 the only advantage I can see is the weather sealing. Mind you, even if it is hissing it down with rain the front lens element is still going to get wet which as we know isn't conducive for taking great images. Just wondering where in the line up this is being aimed at. Maybe to equal Nikons fabled holy trinity of zooms. ( cringe at that description but it's all over the web and YouTube)

Just to add to that Fuji, primes have there own particular charm but more importantly ouse quality and have a very strong following.

Do we know what speed this is going to be yet ? Surely it's not going to be as fast as f2.8 or faster ?

If it is it may negate people buying primes. If it is slower than f2.8 the only advantage I can see is the weather sealing. Mind you, even if it is hissing it down with rain the front lens element is still going to get wet which as we know isn't conducive for taking great images. Just wondering where in the line up this is being aimed at. Maybe to equal Nikons fabled holy trinity of zooms. ( cringe at that description but it's all over the web and YouTube)

F3.5-5.6

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab69/fujirumor/pic_02_zps3ebd9e00.jpg

I am sticking with Fuji,but they do need to get the promise zoom out,the 2 fast ones & this one,i know a lot people love their primes but still a market for zoom ,and both Olympus & Panasonic have them out already :(

As said, f/3.5-5.6. There does appear to be a pair of f/2.8 zooms in the pipeline - a 16-55 and a 50-140 but I think we'll need to be sitting down when we ask the price of those (on release)! They'll apparently be WR as well as fast. [Source, http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xf_lens/roadmap/ ]

The 16-55 & the 18-135 were supposed to be out with the XT-1,but got delayed 50-140 later this year,hopefully not to long now :rolleyes:

According to Fuji Rumors, there is a small chance that the 18-135mm lens will be announced on 26th May 2014 with a price tag of £200 above that of the 18-55mm

If anyone is interested I spoke to a chap from Fuji at the Cambrian Photography show in Colwyn Bay at the weekend and he thinks the lens will be released around the end of July, priced at around £800.

If anyone is interested I spoke to a chap from Fuji at the Cambrian Photography show in Colwyn Bay at the weekend and he thinks the lens will be released around the end of July, priced at around £800.

Interesting and with the £250 voucher that is £550.

Back