Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

Hmm. Just phoned my retailer for an update, I was told that their procurement department has indicated around another couple of months before the zoom kit (or the zoom on its own) will be available. Lead times can change of course, but this suggests we are going to have a very long wait! I'm tempted to get an OMD-EM5 to tide me over in the meantime, then sell when my XE1 kit finally makes an appearance. Bummer!

Fuji are defo making some sexy cameras. This and the x-pro are not very compact though which would be the only reason for me to buy a CSC.

I disagree. I've switched from a D7000 with various lenses. I needed a backpack before, and now I have a Domke F-803 that fits my whole kit and looks like a typical messenger bag. It's much lighter, as well, so I can get away with a lighter tripod.

No CSC is ever going to fit in your pocket. The X-Pro1 and the X-E1 hit a sweetspot of compactness & quality for me, and I haven't regretted the switch for a minute.

I disagree. I've switched from a D7000 with various lenses. I needed a backpack before, and now I have a Domke F-803 that fits my whole kit and looks like a typical messenger bag. It's much lighter, as well, so I can get away with a lighter tripod.

No CSC is ever going to fit in your pocket. The X-Pro1 and the X-E1 hit a sweetspot of compactness & quality for me, and I haven't regretted the switch for a minute.

What lenses did you have with the Nikon?

What lenses did you have with the Nikon?

The 18-105mm kit lens, a 35mm f/1.8, a Sigma 10-20mm and a Nikkor 70-300mm VR II. Admittedly, that covers a larger range of focal lengths, but the Fujis are much sharper and have bigger maximum apertures - 1-1 on the versatility stakes, Id say.

Besides, the best camera is the one you use. I'm finding I'm taking more pics with the Fuji as a result of it being more portable, so it's worth its weight in gold for me.

Everyone is different, though (y)

Besides, the best camera is the one you use.

Can't argue with that!

Since buying my x100, i have taken double the pictures i took previously.
For me the best compromise is a carry everywhere x100 and a dslr for flexibility when i need it. If the xe1 had a pancake lens that made it no bigger than a x100 and a selection of lenses from a wide angle zoom to a tele then that could tempt me to get rid of my d300s. For sure the Fuji lens roadmap is looking good, putting Sony to shame with the poor lens selection on the nex series roadmap (which i also considered).

Can't argue with that!

Since buying my x100, i have taken double the pictures i took previously.
For me the best compromise is a carry everywhere x100 and a dslr for flexibility when i need it. If the xe1 had a pancake lens that made it no bigger than a x100 and a selection of lenses from a wide angle zoom to a tele then that could tempt me to get rid of my d300s. For sure the Fuji lens roadmap is looking good, putting Sony to shame with the poor lens selection on the nex series roadmap (which i also considered).

The 27mm pancake lens should be out early next year, I'll watch out for your D300s on the classifieds in a few months... :LOL:

I'm keen to see what people make of the improved EVF compared to say, the x100. Whilst I always used it over the OVF it was annoying at times and very laggy.

I'm keen to see what people make of the improved EVF compared to say, the x100. Whilst I always used it over the OVF it was annoying at times and very laggy.

I think I've read that it's the same as the EVF in the Sony NEX-7 which is probably the best EVF I've used i.e. better than the X100 EVF.

Just had a call from Park Cameras, my XE1 and zoom are ready for collection!

Would you believe it, I just got my OMD this morning, thinking I'd be waiting several more weeks for the Fuji. They're very different cameras of course, but it will be interesting using them side-by-side.

Lindsay D said:
Just had a call from Park Cameras, my XE1 and zoom are ready for collection!

The zoom is in? Blimey!

My expectations had kept low for them to ship this side of Xmas.

I'm more interested in the kit anyway; looking for a replacement for my G2 that will also deliver results approaching my 5Dc with legacy glass.

Head tells me OM-D, heart leans toward the XE. :?

I'm more interested in the kit anyway; looking for a replacement for my G2 that will also deliver results approaching my 5Dc with legacy glass.

Head tells me OM-D, heart leans toward the XE. :?

Well, yes, that was my quandary. My OMD arrived today so I've not really had a chance to play with it much but it really is a top spec piece of kit, and the ISO capability is very impressive, pretty much on par with my X-100 at 3200 ISO (but I imagine the X-100 will pull away somewhat at ISO ratings above this). The OMD will work out as a more expensive purchase because you'll want to buy some fine glass for it, and there are some beautiful Micro 4/3 lenses out there. Just look at the 25mm f1.4 and the 45mm f1.8 (at less than £300). The 12-35 f2.8 (obviously I mean this will be 24-70 field of view on u2/3) is a cracker but is pricey at around £850.

The Fuji will have the edge on image quality but at respectable ISO values there won't be much in it unless you're a right old pixel peeper. The EVF on the OMD is really nice, no lag, no obvious blackouts - I'm not sure that the same can be said for the XE1 - but I'll find out tomorrow. Oh, and the OMD is very well weather sealed, that's actually quite important to me, likewise the superior fast autofocus which appears to be blazingly quick (not always Fuji's strong point of course). I don't care for the Fuji primes - too slow to focus in my book. The zoom is supposed to be faster, thankfully.

On the noise front, I was wrong to assume the X100 would pull away at ultra high ISO values - I've just taken some shots and the OMD is proving highly impressive, I really am genuinely surprised, the camera is a gem. At this rate I might not even bring the XE1 home with me tomorrow, I might invest in fast OMD lenses instead!

On the noise front, I was wrong to assume the X100 would pull away at ultra high ISO values - I've just taken some shots and the OMD is proving highly impressive, I really am genuinely surprised, the camera is a gem. At this rate I might not even bring the XE1 home with me tomorrow, I might invest in fast OMD lenses instead!

I think that be a wise choice get some fast lens for the OMD no need for another camera :)

I was tempted to do that Andrew! But the XE1 will see plenty of use, as will the OMD. With the right glass on the OMD, it's a cracking camera and it makes a nice companion to the XE1. Not a lot between them size-wise and the XE1 zoom is a little smaller than anticipated. Build quality of the Fuji is outstanding, with the characteristic X series simple and pared down interface. The OMD focusses faster, but the XE1 when pared with the zoom seems plenty quick enough, though I've not had a chance to thoroughly test either of them just yet.

The XE1 shutter sound is a bit louder than anticipated, the OMD of course is very quiet. One thing which is annoying me already on the XE1 is the way that Fuji have located the tripod screw right next to the battery/card compartment, so when I attach a slingshot strap it fouls the battery hatch, and it's much too much of an inconvenience to keep fiddling with the strap and taking it on and off. I really hate wearing neck straps but I'm going to have to with the XE1.

Regarding the tripod thread. Someone mentioned that due to the sensor/gubbins in the camera there was no physical chance for the thread to be in the middle. I used to hate neck straps on my dslr but don't mind on the x-pro as it's so light.

Ah - OK, thanks for the explanation Phil. I must admit I was baffled as to why it was sited where it is. I've got a normal strap on it and am trying to manage with it worn diagonally across my body. As you say it's light so not a big deal really. In fact I've just ordered it a DSPTCH strap from the USA which will suit the retro look.

Regarding the tripod thread. Someone mentioned that due to the sensor/gubbins in the camera there was no physical chance for the thread to be in the middle.

That makes some sense though I'd have thought the tripod hole was only as deep as the housing.

Either way round, it's clear that Fuji put it where they did for some reason. It's always hilarious seeing forums implode as people get really angry about the way things are made without realising that big companies really do spend a while on the design.

However, that's still no excuse for Sony's stupid hotshot.... :) (Yes, I know they fixed it)

Johnathan, it does not necessarily make sense to site the tripod screw there, given the configuration of the other Fuji X series cameras I own.

For the record I am not getting "really angry" but it is actually a bit of a problem for me given that I have a disability and I rely entirely on slingshot straps in order to carry a camera about my person in a manner which is vaguely comfortable. So for me, it is a bit of a big deal that I can't do this, and even though the camera is quite lightweight I still cannot put it around my neck. Glad you find it hilarious though!

I wasn't meaning you Lindsay....for one thing you don't seem at all angry ;)

Time and again I see posts (generally on a certain US review site) where people become apoplectic that the "idiots" didn't manufacture cameras to their exact requirement. I'm not saying Fuji have a good reason - I'm just saying they probably thought about it. Sadly this always causes trade offs.

As it happens I haven't seen an XE-1 for real yet (one should be here today) but I'd missed just how tight the thread is to the battery door if you can't even attach a strap hanger. That's unfortunate.

The positioning on the X-Pro 1 gives a couple of issues - especially if you want to shoot video from a stabiliser. The hand grip solves this so it's possible that the XE-1 handgrip will do the same. However you then have the issues that you have to remove the grip to change the battery because the "idiots" didn't put a hinged plate or cutout in it.

Thanks for the reply Jonathan, sorry I sounded a bit touchy. I do know the forum you're referring to, in fact it was my positive views on the Fuji X10 which led to my being slated there earlier in the year and my website being attacked. So I fully appreciate what you're saying.

I think Fuji create genuinely innovative products which in many ways are remarkable, and irresistible at times. They do rely on that from the sales aspect, which is why it can be annoying when they don't always give enough consideration to practical details which will be important to many of their customers.

On the other hand, I'm finding it very hard to find fault with the OMD we were sent a couple of days ago.

Is it too big (or lens too protruding and/or delicate) to be used just on a wrist strap, like the Gordy one that works so well with the X10?

Is it too big (or lens too protruding and/or delicate) to be used just on a wrist strap, like the Gordy one that works so well with the X10?

I'd use a wriststrap to stop me dropping it / having it snatched but not for carrying the camera.

The new zoom is quite a lot heavier than you might expect. It ain't no plastic kit lens ;)

Yes, I first tried it with the 18mm, felt lovely.

The zoom is a bit of a pain actually, the aperture ring is quite loose and is very easily knocked when zooming or simply handling the camera. I've had a few others concur with this. I can't just pick up the camera and shoot, I have to meter and change my aperture back to where I wanted it (no indicators on the aperture ring). It's quite annoying. This mechanism is tight and true on my X100 so in that regard the zoom is a disappointment. But optically it's lovely and I think it's extremely good value in that sense.

Interesting - I've not used it enough yet to get frustrated by the aperture ring - but it's certainly something I'll watch out for. Would have been nice to make the clicks a bit more clicky.

But then I still have to remind myself to check apertures when I change lenses because it's stored on the lens not the body ;)

>> It would be nice if there was a way of switching aperture control from the lens to the body.

Yeah, but you know that's not possible.....

The zoom is a bit of a pain actually, the aperture ring is quite loose and is very easily knocked when zooming or simply handling the camera. I've had a few others concur with this.

Yes. This is definitely true.

I had it on shoulder strap yesterday and every time I lowered the camera to my side there was a risk I'd turn the ring. Since I was shooting manual with controlled light this was mildly vexing.

Nice lens though :)

Thanks for looking at that Jonathan - much appreciated, it helps to confirm I haven't got a duff one! I also compared it to a friend's over the weekend and his was the same. Just something to keep an eye on whilst working. Otherwise I agree the lens is a beauty. I took it to Sheffield Park yesterday to shoot some bright contrasty scenes. Took the OMD along too which was interesting. So far it's the Oly which is winning my heart.

Somebody asked a couple of pages back if the XE-1 would be "good enough" for a wedding.

Based on yesterday I'd give it a qualified "yes".

I shot the whole day on an X-Pro 1 and XE-1 (plus a couple of stills and mostly video on a Sony X100). Pics on my screen look pretty gorgeous TBH.

To my amazement, none of the guests seemed bothered that I was shooting on small cameras - though there were 3 sets of previous clients in the room. They know I've never let them down ;)

Absolutely, it's more than good enough for weddings, providing you can carefully focus and accept some occasional limitations if your subject is moving in less ideal conditions. I'll be using mine for many pro assignments. I've used the X100 before on a few pro shoots and clients were fascinated by it, it made them smile. As you suggest there is still the belief that a 'big camera' is needed because the public at large will believe that the camera takes the pictures. But as you proved a client who knows and appreciates your work will have no issues with the camera you have in your hands at the time. (y)

Yesterday at Sheffield Park the place was teeming with keen photographers, mostly sightseers and hobbyists. But I lost count of the number of people who were walking round with big heavy tripods and massive DSLRs and lenses. Given that it takes about an hour to walk around the lakes that must've been pretty painful for them. I was able to trot round with one small Billingham bag containing both my compact systems and 4 lenses. I barely felt the weight and I was able to actually enjoy the process of taking pictures! Thanks to these developments I feel that I can carry on as a full-timer, without my health limiting what I can now do.

Crop of SOOC jpeg from the X-E1. 2,500 ISO.

2012-11-19_003.jpg

Back