Fuji x- pro1 or x-e2

Name
Martyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi would like to hear people's thoughts as to which camera to go for,I am wanting one to take with me on long walks,family days out, etc?I like the feel of the x-pro1 and it feels quite robust the x-e2 is smaller and not quite as comfy to hold but I guess it would improve from use and also be easier to slip into my pocket , is there that much of a difference in image quality and focusing between the two in actual use. Many thanks

I've had both, sold both and miss both. Images are virtually identical, but the XE2 has a better viewfinder and for me, slightly quicker AF.
Of course, the XPRO1 also has an optical viewfinder which is so much nicer to use than any evf.
The XPRO1 is slightly bigger and heavier, but that makes it nicer to hold. It also looks great.
It really boils down to the af speed, but neither is quick when the light drops and neither is too good for af tracking.
Either would be great for what you want, but slipping in a pocket might be difficult, depending on which lens you choose.
If you're thinking of a standard prime, you may want to look at an X100/s, instead, if you fancy a zoom, the 18-55 is superb, but not really pocketable.
So, another camera to think about! Sorry.
If it was me, and I wanted the zoom lens, I would probably go for the Xpro1.
Have you thought about the X30? It like a mini XE2 with a built in zoom, but a smaller sensor. Quick af, great image quality and pocketable

Allan

Hi thanks for the replies, focusing wise in good light would it be able to track a dog playing,or would that be a bit hit and miss? Have had a look at the other models but feel awkward to handle for me.

I have both the X-E2 and the X-Pro1. Nine times out often the first I'll pick up is the -E2. Partly because it's a little better proportioned, but mostly because it's the better camera - both in terms of performance/specifications (AF speed, EVF speed/resolution) and ergonomically (better rear control button layout - the second FN button is very useful, as are the separate A-FL and A-EL buttons). I don't find the OVF particularly useful - but that will depend how you use the camera.

Given that they're both the same price (£315 refurbished) and image quality is near-identical, my personal choice would be the X-E2.

Thanks again for the replies much appreciated,as much as I prefer the x-pro1 I think I might go for for the x-e2

Bear in mind the x pro currently comes with 2 lenses free when bought new, plus an extra £100 trade in bonus on certain DSLR's.
I've had the xe2 before and loved it, but it was this deal that swung it in favour of the x pro for me.

Bear in mind the x pro currently comes with 2 lenses free when bought new, plus an extra £100 trade in bonus on certain DSLR's.
I've had the xe2 before and loved it, but it was this deal that swung it in favour of the x pro for me.

It is a good deal, but only if you want those two lenses, I've had both and they are not really for me, I sold on the 18mm and the 27mm is rarely put on the camera, but the latter is good for the pocket moment.

Of the 2 free lenses the 27 does appeal and of course would slip in my jacket nicely which was the whole idea of getting the camera in the first place, the 18-55 kit lens on the x-e2 is a fair chunk on the camera and something I,m still thinking about,

i notice that fuji have recently introduced an x lens with a manual focus ring on the barrel - looks quite promising and a pity they cant put it on all their lenses

After thinking about the two cameras you are thinking about I went for the x-pro 1 and am not disappointed

i notice that fuji have recently introduced an x lens with a manual focus ring on the barrel - looks quite promising and a pity they cant put it on all their lenses
All the lenses in the line-up do have a manual focus ring.

If you mean the AF/MF clutch system, that's on at least two current lenses (14mm and 23mm) and will appear on more lenses in the future. I don't see it appearing on long lenses as the DoF scale is most useful on wider lenses. Due to the fly-by-wire focusing and aperture mechanisms it does require a clever mechanism to work on the lenses it's fitted to. That undoubtedly means that it pushed up the expense of lenses with the mechanism.

All the lenses in the line-up do have a manual focus ring.

If you mean the AF/MF clutch system, that's on at least two current lenses (14mm and 23mm) and will appear on more lenses in the future. I don't see it appearing on long lenses as the DoF scale is most useful on wider lenses. Due to the fly-by-wire focusing and aperture mechanisms it does require a clever mechanism to work on the lenses it's fitted to. That undoubtedly means that it pushed up the expense of lenses with the mechanism.
It certainly looks very promising and goes against the current trend of "dumbing down" lenses such as removing aperture rings and dof scales and makes fuji x a very tempting system. These lenses would be quite good for street photography where the ability to quickly "zone focus" is essential.

I just bought another XPRO1 too. Threads like this seem to cost me money......

Allan

I think it's a great camera, but with a few drawbacks. The evf has a bit of lag, especially when the light fades, and it won't track flying owls at dusk!
But, used within its capabilities, it produces stunning images.
I like using the ovf and for tracking owls etc, I now have a dslr.
Allan

Your working the same way as me. I have kept one dslr and lens for my wildlife, for more or less everything else I use the Fuji.

Just bought an 18-55 for mine, and a new +2 diopter, I can't see anything through the standard diopter. I did think of getting a prime, but I have the X100s for that. I was impressed with the 18-55 when I had one before and it worked well on the pro.
Now, I just need some spare batteries, a flash unit, maybe a grip.............

Will have to go and have another look i reckon I keep changing my mind as to which would suit me better

If your thinking of the 18-55, I think it balances better on the XPRO1, but it still feels good on the XE2. Forget about pocketability with a good zoom fitted, but a small messenger style bag will hold lens and camera easily and won't be bulky. I use a Domke F803 Rugged wear with mine. Great bag and doesn't look like its carrying a camera.
Allan

Back