The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Thankyou very much! :)

Found a couple of tips upto yet, enabling the Macro function on the camera should help to stop the 60mm from focusing through the whole range which should be handy when i want to do a set of portraits without moving too much. Also found the screen playback jobby. Was under screen set up. (y)

Make sure 'high performance mode' is on too. Can't remember where it is in the menu, but that helps speed things up.

I really like what the 60mm produces, there's little difference between it and the 56 IQ wise. The 56 just does it way quicker.

*Waits to be told how to do it*

I like chimping so it's better if it does it automatically. :D
I also like chimping, though I call it "dynamic image assessment"
Look at Setup menu 1- screen setup- image display
..and pressing focus assist in playback gives you 100% zoom
Allan

Last edited:
I'm also thinking of getting some old mf lenses and any adapters needed, any thoughts on sharp, good value lenses?

If it's of any help Adam, I use most of my old "Nikon AIS" full manual lenses on my X-T1 via an adapter from ebay with absolutely excellent results. I also use some of them "reversed" onto the X-T1 via a reversing ring onto the adapter for some of my macro shots.

Samples can be seen in the macro/close up section of TP with a description of what was used for the shots.

George.

Ah nice one. I've been looking at some of the old canon fd lenses but just trying to find out more about them as I don't really know which old lenses are actually any good! But even with the price of them a bit of trial and error won't be too bad as I can just sell on again if they don't suit me

Ah nice one. I've been looking at some of the old canon fd lenses but just trying to find out more about them as I don't really know which old lenses are actually any good! But even with the price of them a bit of trial and error won't be too bad as I can just sell on again if they don't suit me

Any of the earlier Nikon (Nikkor) AI/AIS lenses will work with an adapter with extremely good results on the X-T1 as they all have manual focusing and an aperture ring.

I personally use a 20mm F3.5, a 28mm F2.8, a 55mm F2.8 Micro, and a 105mm F2.5 with my X-T1, all cover full frame and all are fully manual.

Also any of the later "Nikon D" lenses (also full frame) will also be just fine on an X-T1 as they too have a manual aperture ring and manual/auto focus. One of my own favorites is a 105mm F2.8 D Micro, which focuses down to 1-1 and is used for a lot of my macro shots on the X-T1.

Sorry I'm unable to answer anything about Canon manual lenses as I've never used them but should imagine some of their early manual lenses would also be very good.

Hope this helps.,

George

I have used the Canon FD and M42 mounts mainly with Fuji and there's some good lenses and bargains to be had. I found Ffordes, who sometimes have new but old stock FD lenses in at a good price plus their mint. With the FD, I prefered the adapter fitting than M42, it's a nice solid feel. They did have a load of 50mm f1.4 late last year which were also new.

Linky > http://ffordes.com/category/Lenses/Canon/FD#&&PageIndex=1&SortDirection=Ascending&SortExpression=

Edit: Just had a quick look and they seem to have a few 28mm new lenses in stock, plus some others.

Last edited:
Just been out to handle one against the omd's and it blows them out of the water for comfort/handling for me....I think the Nikon gear would have to go if I went in this direction. Not sure I'm brave enough to go all in though!

As a general walk around lens, probably with a budget for just one, would people pick the 35mm 1.4 or the 18-55 2.8-4? Im Not that knowledgeable about fuji lenses yet but trying to think what my first lens will be. If I get the 35 ill probably add a canon fd 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 shortly after and a samyang wild angle for night shots but still unsure what to get first. One of the reasons I want to switch to fuji is for smaller kit so that's making me think more towards the 35 rather than the bulkier 18-55. Whats people's thoughts on this?

As a general walk around lens, probably with a budget for just one, would people pick the 35mm 1.4 or the 18-55 2.8-4? Im Not that knowledgeable about fuji lenses yet but trying to think what my first lens will be. If I get the 35 ill probably add a canon fd 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 shortly after and a samyang wild angle for night shots but still unsure what to get first. One of the reasons I want to switch to fuji is for smaller kit so that's making me think more towards the 35 rather than the bulkier 18-55. Whats people's thoughts on this?

Sensible plan. I think the 35mm is a fantastic lens and the 12mm Samyang is much more impressive than I expected. I am lousy at manual focus but if you have any ability one of the Minolta 50mm lenses would be my recommendation, though I'm sure the Canons would be fine too.

More X-T1 modding... This time adding a Nikon D4 eyecup. This will mostly be for landscape work in bright sun as the normal eyecup is mostly OK for an eyeglasses wearer. I didn't realise how easy it is to change them!

Functional?
by Harlequin565, on Flickr

Interesting. Is it a straight swap? Is it a Hoodman?

Yep. It's a Hoodman Nikon D4 eyecup. The threaded circular eyepiece is almost a perfect match for the circular default eyepiece that comes with the camera. I bought the official Fuji one which most people say is better than the default so that I'd have one even if I broke things with my modding. I then unscrewed the Fuji eyecup (there are 2 tiny screws) removing the metal bracket from the rubber housing. I punched out the glass from the Hoodman (watch out for bits - it's NOT safety glass!) and moulded the Hoodman into the Fuji rubber using a mix of superglue (on the plastic threading of the Hoodman) and Sugru (on the rubber to rubber connection). Once it had dried, I re-attached the metal bracket and voila! Just make sure you get the Hoodman on the right way round depending on whether you're left or right eye dominant.

If you're going to have a go at this, you can do the whole thing "dry" quite easily. The screw thread on the Hoodman is a really nice tight fit into the Fuji eyepiece.

If you're right eye dominant, the hoodman might get in the way of the AE-L and Focus assist buttons.

That's a nice looking case Ian, could I ask where you got it from?

Any vaguely scientific tests on 'High Performance Mode' knocking about? I've done 5 hours with, 5 hours without shooting Motorsport and I'll be damned if I can feel any difference whatsoever!

Two quick grab shots of my daughter, XT1 and 56mm

16706588709_415124725d_b.jpg

16705335290_4d8c5735e3_b.jpg

Electronic shutter is ace. I couldn't live with 1/4000 shutter speed. Even at f2.4 on the 60 and my 35 czj it has used the electronic shutter a few times so far today.

Boshed 300 pics off so far today, which seems crazy. The battery has just gone to red so I'm just gonna swap it and go again! It's a pretty sweet camera!!!

Nice pics Ian, the mono especially. (y)

Very difficult shoot last night Road Rallying. 35mm on it's own at the start, and aided by the pathetic kit flash for the rally. I really need to reinvest in a proper manual flash again, TTL is useless for this kind of thing.None of these are works of art, but I'm pretty happy given the severe limitations I was faced with!

11059788_10205366283693162_8705268782739007127_o.jpg

11034348_10205366283773164_8357955517155919948_o.jpg

11074310_10205371004851188_8859412082742836372_o.jpg

10553911_10205371201296099_5651251037967462802_o.jpg

11035686_10205371605386201_3294028341522400280_o.jpg

The 8mm is a great fun lens, you can either use it straight but low to give a massive wide angle (these are all uncorrected!):-

salford quays 2 sm
by Mr Perceptive X100, on Flickr

Or point it down for the curvature of the earth:-

curvature_of_the_earth2_sm

Or point it up:-

In A Spin sm

Or just be dramatic:-

Dome, Museo de Bellas Artes, Seville 004 sm

I have to X changeable lens bodies, and the Samyang 8mm is nearly always on one of the bodies!

For me three bodies would be good!! but having bought a 6D before Christmas for some low light performance and full frame goodness, I am currently resisting temptation.

The X-e2 is better for manual focus, but then again the 8mm only really needs setting close to infinity for everything to be in focus!!!

Back