The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I'm really tempted in buying and X-T1 but I like the size of my X-E2 is the C-T1 much bigger?

I'm really tempted in buying and X-T1 but I like the size of my X-E2 is the C-T1 much bigger?

Also just gone from X-E1 to X-T1 and the size difference is noticeable. It's less about bigness though and more chunkiness. I needed a Lensmate thumb grip and a gripped case for my X-E1 and I need neither for the T. I much prefer the feel of the X-T1 in-hand. Smaller than an SLR but still solid. Hope that helps.

@jakeblu I used this site to compare a Df to an X-E1 and it shows them side by side.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#371,520

Thanks for that link Ian. I'm looking for a camera to use when out walking, the 7D is too heavy on a hot day. I'm thinking about the XE2, XT1 and perhaps one of the Olmypus range, although the micro four thirds sensor is not too appealing.

It's great thread this one, lots of helpful info.

Chris

I know what you mean about the m4/3 doubt Gary. I feel inclined to stick with APSC, having watched and read lots of reviews, there's not a huge amount of difference but I think APSC is right for me.

The plan is to visit the show on Saturday and get a feel for the Fuji and Olympus.

Chris

M43 is much smaller. It's too small for me. The lenses are superb though. Super sharp and the newer sensors capture so much detail it's pretty nifty. The files just lacked a little something though imo so sold up after a month. :LOL:

APSC is good enough for me and i hope that the Fuji is a happy compromise for me between an m43 system and a full size apsc dslr and decent lenses.

Fingers crossed.

That's useful first hand feedback David and Tim, thanks.

I'm definitely leaning towards one of the Fujifilm cameras, but the show will provide a good opportunity to get a feel for the weight and control layout etc. Maybe the small and light OMD EM5 might appeal.

The XE2 and XT1 seem to be close, a nice choice to have.

Chris

Well i had the e-m10 with the grip along with the 25mm f1.8, 45mm f1.8 and the 40-150 (cheapo version) and it was too small for me.

I think the xt1 and em1 are similar in size but the em1 has a more substantial grip.

Last edited:
Have they improved the back button focus option on the X-T1. I never liked having to switch into manual focusing on the X-E2 to use BBF. The focus box is just too big and made precise focusing difficult

FWIW, back in November I switched from being a long-term Olympus user with the E-M1 to the Fuji X system, with no regrets. When I want coat-pocket small I use the X-E1, other times the X-T1, which handles back-button focus perfectly.

Have they improved the back button focus option on the X-T1. I never liked having to switch into manual focusing on the X-E2 to use BBF. The focus box is just too big and made precise focusing difficult

I couldn't get back button focus to work on the X-E1 so gave up. It's lovely on my X-T1 though. It just works as it does on a (D)SLR. Just a blob of Sugru required on the button if you have "large" fingers like me.. You need to switch AE-L and AF-L buttons around in the menu though.

Sugru Solution
by Harlequin565, on Flickr

Last edited:
I couldn't get back button focus to work on the X-E1 so gave up. It's lovely on my X-T1 though. It just works as it does on a (D)SLR. Just a blob of Sugru required on the button if you have "large" fingers like me.. You need to switch AE-L and AF-L buttons around in the menu though.

Sugru Solution
by Harlequin565, on Flickr

If it works for you that's good but it looks bloomin awful. Does that stuff come off ok if you decide to sell it in the future ?

If it works for you that's good but it looks bloomin awful. Does that stuff come off ok if you decide to sell it in the future ?

Yep, and the iPhone camera hasn't made it look great. It's a very small button and looks fine. Either way, if it does the job then it works for me!

Yep, and the iPhone camera hasn't made it look great. It's a very small button and looks fine. Either way, if it does the job then it works for me!

I've done exactly the same thing, but in black. I've got the vertical grip and popped some on there too as the buttons are tiny.

Makes all the difference to the feel of the camera for sure.

When using off camera flash on my D610 I usually use a set of these cheap triggers http://www.amazon.co.uk/PT-04A-Wire...id=1426759952&sr=8-4&keywords=ishoot+triggers

I've just tried using them on my X-T1 and they don't seem to trigger. Has anyone tried this combo? or able to recommend a similar type of trigger that'll work

Not tried those specific ones but they appear as if they should work, as it's just a single pin to fire.

Things to check:

Make sure camera is nt in silent mode or flash will not trigger.
Make sure shutter it set to mechanical only or flash will not fire

And give the transmitter a wiggle to make sure the pin is connecting.

It's being delivered Friday now. Should hopefully be able to have some fun at the weekend with it!
Not sure whether to take my X-T1, Xpro1 or D7100 out today.................
Allan

Not tried those specific ones but they appear as if they should work, as it's just a single pin to fire.

Things to check:

Make sure camera is nt in silent mode or flash will not trigger.
Make sure shutter it set to mechanical only or flash will not fire

And give the transmitter a wiggle to make sure the pin is connecting.
Thanks! I'll check the mechanical shutter, I think I have it on ES+MS and I cant remember what it decided to use when I was testing.

Not sure whether to take my X-T1, Xpro1 or D7100 out today.................
Allan

Right, he says in true four Yorkshiremen style......:D

I'm not sure what to take to the Lake District tomorrow My D7100, my X-T1, my Rolleiflex, my Mamiya C330, my Ross Ensign 820, my F100, my FM, my Mamiya C220, my Fuji STX, my Voigtlander Vitomatic II or the IIa...:banana:

I think I have too many cameras.

Thanks! I'll check the mechanical shutter, I think I have it on ES+MS and I cant remember what it decided to use when I was testing.

That would cause it, even if the s/s is slow enough for the camera to choose mechanical the flash will still not fire.

I'm not sure what to take to the Lake District tomorrow My D7100, my X-T1, my Rolleiflex, my Mamiya C330, my Ross Ensign 820, my F100, my FM, my Mamiya C220, my Fuji STX, my Voigtlander Vitomatic II or the IIa...:banana:

Yeah, stick it to 'em, Andy! :)

I'm shooting for nearly 24hrs this weekend, hoping 6 batteries is going to see me through! I've used other 'short life' mirrorless cameras before and if shooting very frequently with the camera on constantly they go on for much longer than quoted (I think I was getting nearly 3 times as many shots out of the Sony a7), is the X-T1 similar in that respect?

What do you think of the 7100 Alan. Quite tempted by one.
I bought it to replace a D300 I sold a couple of months ago. I haven't used it much but first impressions are that it produces some very nice images and is nice to handle. I miss there not being a back focus button like the 300 and people complain about the limited raw buffer, but I rarely shoot raw so it doesn't bother me.
Of course, I still prefer my XT1.
Has yours arrived yet David?
Allan

What do you think of the 7100 Alan. Quite tempted by one.

I had originally intended to sell my D7100 to fund the Fuji but I did some tests and realised it was so good that I had to keep it. The IQ is fabulous and its much better for wildlife than the Fuji especially now I have a Siggy 50-500mm stuck on the front.

24 hours??? Look forward to some pics!

Goodwood 73rd Members Meet, 7:30am to 10pm on Saturday, 7:30am to 7pm on Sunday! I'm staying down near the circuit, going to be shattered after.

Then next Monday I head over to the Wildlife Heritage Foundation for a 4 person photography workshop with the big cats. My X-T1 is going to take a hammering in tne next 8 days!

Pretty much shooting all things that the Fuji isn't renowned for (fast cars, wildlife) so will be a great experience and learning curve given I've only briefly left the house twice with my X-T1 so far!

Back