The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Last edited:
Is it me or does the 18-55 pretty much render every other lens in this range pointless. Just compared the 18-55 @ 55mm @ f4 with the 56mm @f4 and was shocked how little difference there is. Same with the other primes. Bizarre, I would have thought the primes would show a little more sharpness and contrast.

How does your 18-55 perform at f1.2? :whistle:

Well it's obviously disregarding speed. As said, considering sharpness and contrast!

I'd have to agree with this review, but I do know what you mean. The 18-55 is a stellar lens, just not as good as the primes.

"The sweet-spot for the 56mm is arguably at f4 which is where the 18-55mm joins the comparison. Little more than a glance reveals the 56mm to deliver crisper details and higher contrast in the middle, and better definition into the corners too. It comes as no surprise to find the 56mm outperforming the 18-55mm, but I remain impressed by the zoom which delivers better results than you'd expect."

http://cameralabs.com/reviews/Fujifilm_Fujinon_XF_56mm_f1-2_R/Fujifilm_56mm_vs_18-55mm.shtml

I'd have to agree with this review, but I do know what you mean. The 18-55 is a stellar lens, just not as good as the primes.

"The sweet-spot for the 56mm is arguably at f4 which is where the 18-55mm joins the comparison. Little more than a glance reveals the 56mm to deliver crisper details and higher contrast in the middle, and better definition into the corners too. It comes as no surprise to find the 56mm outperforming the 18-55mm, but I remain impressed by the zoom which delivers better results than you'd expect."

http://cameralabs.com/reviews/Fujifilm_Fujinon_XF_56mm_f1-2_R/Fujifilm_56mm_vs_18-55mm.shtml
Yeah, read that. Was making my OWN comparison using the link above.

Got pretty fed up of all the weirdness on my XT1 so have just done a factory reset. Going to take a while to get it back to proper usable settings!

Is it me or does the 18-55 pretty much render every other lens in this range pointless. Just compared the 18-55 @ 55mm @ f4 with the 56mm @f4 and was shocked how little difference there is. Same with the other primes. Bizarre, I would have thought the primes would show a little more sharpness and contrast.

I must admit i like the 18-55mm a lot,on my camera most of the the time,i mainly use primes when i need the large apertures that they give :)

I only have the 18-55mm and 14mm, cover pretty much all I want and both are very good.

I hated my 18-55mm, maybe I had a dodgy example, but it was never very sharp. In the end I sold it as I just didn't use it and bought an 18mm, which I like lots. :)

X-T10 made it out of the house for a little while today! :banana:

First impressions: very easy to use coming from the X-T1, although I wasn't having to change ISO much so we will see if I make that mistake later... Balances well on thumb and first finger for hand carrying with the 14mm and the 35mm, I may not risk that without a wrist strap though.
Missed the X-T10 large eyecup though. Had to adopt the modified grip I used with the X-E*'s on a sunny day (left hand shielding the side)

couple of shots I've just put on flickr:

35mm

Canal Boat by barrysprout, on Flickr

14mm

Falkirk Wheel by barrysprout, on Flickr

And the last one just for fun and to expose the kelpies for the size they really are,

View attachment 41061

I hated my 18-55mm, maybe I had a dodgy example, but it was never very sharp. In the end I sold it as I just didn't use it and bought an 18mm, which I like lots. :)

I was toying with the thought of an 18 myself, until I visited comparison site above. The zoom seems sharper throughout, only slightly but it's there. Although not sure how reliable those samples are but for landscapes it does make a excellent case for the 18-55 throughout all its focal range.

I went the opposite way. wide open the 18mm was slightly better in the center but poor on the edges, with both lenses stopped down to 5.6 centres were equal but edges were still far better on the zoom. Like you I thought I maybe had a dodgy 18mm (although I've had 2) but looking at the lens comparison site posted earlier the results are what I experienced.

Must say the 50-140 and v4 is absolutely the dogs danglies. Such a fab lens. Might sell the 35 and buy the 16-55 if it's as good. Any thoughts @simonblue and @AdamTudor ? It has properly nailed focus in a busy environment and picked the subject out superbly.

The Niece:

Peekaboo!
by David Raynham, on Flickr

The Daughter:

Sports Day!

Sports Day!

Sports Day!

And the Nephew:

Sports Day!

Sports Day!

Sports Day!

Sports Day!

Got some sets of around 6-8 pics of her running towards me and they're all in focus. Missed one of the Nephew when he dropped the bean bag but that's about it. :banana:

That looks pretty impressive David, and some nice shots to boot.(y)

George.

Talking of the 35mm, wish I'd got that instead of the 27mm. I do like a wide aperture but 2.8 ain't doing it for me.

Talking of the 35mm, wish I'd got that instead of the 27mm. I do like a wide aperture but 2.8 ain't doing it for me.

What you should do Marc is trade your 27mm for an extra Fuji body, maybe an X-E1 so you can appreciate the older sensor. In fact I'm sure someone has one in the classifieds and is maybe even interested in a 27mm as trade...............:wideyed:

Cheers. Was on 3x3 zone but i also used single point AF-C as they were quite a way away at the start line lineand could cover them with the 1 focus point. I've stopped nailing the shutter which has never been my style and firing perhaps a burst of 6 maximum every now and then and just picking all my other shots instead. Now the AF has been upgraded it allows me to shoot how i used to with my D7k which is more my style.

Must say the 50-140 and v4 is absolutely the dogs danglies. Such a fab lens. Might sell the 35 and buy the 16-55 if it's as good. Any thoughts @simonblue and @AdamTudor ? It has properly nailed focus in a busy environment and picked the subject out superbly.

The Niece:

Peekaboo!

The Daughter:

Sports Day!

Sports Day!

Sports Day!

And the Nephew:

Sports Day!

Sports Day!

Sports Day!

Sports Day!

Got some sets of around 6-8 pics of her running towards me and they're all in focus. Missed one of the Nephew when he dropped the bean bag but that's about it. :banana:

I really like my 16-55,but I am a zoom person :D

Had a play with with Jim's 12mm (oo er missus) earlier on and i must say they're pretty good aren't they? Very impressed with the feel and build quality and the IQ was nice too.

Anyone dealt with eGlobal before? Looks like they're the cheapest at a smidgen over £200 and i figured if it went belly up it's not the end of the world. Although tbh, there doesn't seem to be alot to go wrong with them?

Or i could put the money towards the 16-55.... Arghhhhhh.

What you should do Marc is trade your 27mm for an extra Fuji body, maybe an X-E1 so you can appreciate the older sensor. In fact I'm sure someone has one in the classifieds and is maybe even interested in a 27mm as trade...............:wideyed:

Nah, not going down that slippery slope! :LOL::

Had a play with with Jim's 12mm (oo er missus) earlier on and i must say they're pretty good aren't they? Very impressed with the feel and build quality and the IQ was nice too.

Anyone dealt with eGlobal before? Looks like they're the cheapest at a smidgen over £200 and i figured if it went belly up it's not the end of the world. Although tbh, there doesn't seem to be alot to go wrong with them?

Or i could put the money towards the 16-55.... Arghhhhhh.

Go for the 16-55mm :)

Back