The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Way to generalise ... :rolleyes: I'm a Nikon shooter, but I actually started out on Fuji bridge cams. I would have no problem with Fuji now as they have improved a LOT ... I'm not tied to any make or model. I've used Sony dslr and compact cams on the side too, as well as owning a Fuji X100s couple of years back. No way I'd have bought a Nikon compact because they suck. I have a D800E because it's still one of the best camera on the market, it could be made by McDonald's and I'd still love it :D It's just too big for me to love these days, and Fuji are making all the right moves. i don't think I'd be too sad.

^^^ this. I'm another Nikon user, there's some things I prefer with Nikon and there's some things I prefer with Fuji. I'm happy I found that Fuji landscapes edit better in aperture though as I wasn't happy with them in lightroom. Some people may not be aware of the issue with adobe and Fuji files which is why they dislike/give up on the system. Not a fault of the user, more so with Adobe and Fuji imo as they should have sorted it out by now. In such situations I completely get why people can be disappointed with Fuji, which is a shame because when you get the best from them they are really nice.

But people do settle into a system and don't always like the change. I've seen posts of folk moving from Canon to Nikon and complaining of Nikon and going back to Canon, vice versa, some going to Fuji and swapping back etc etc. I've not noticed that users of one brand slate other brands more than others, they're all as bad as each other ;:p

Thought I'd set myself a challenge, on my way to the dentist this morning I brought my X-T1 and chose the XF35mm and shot it wide open at f/1.4 for all these shots, here's what I came up with, nothing exciting really, just to see what I could photograph within thirty minutes.

All shot on 1:1 ratio with classic chrome selected and NO processing whatsoever, J-Peg only, kind of arty/abstract captures, nothing serious;

Hygienist suite by Macvisual Photography, on Flickr

Trolleys by Macvisual Photography, on Flickr

Tuned in by Macvisual Photography, on Flickr

Just a bit of fun and personal creativity.

Thanx;
Peter
(Scotland)
Haha, bet they thought you were barking mad taking pictures of the inside of a dentists ;)

The ones who sem to have greatest trouble in accepting the Fuji sytem are Nikon users. For some reason the majority of complaints and whinges on here are from Nikon users. Those from other systems, or who went straight to Fuji get along with the system no problems. Nikon users seem to spend their whole life bemoaning that they are no longer on Nikon whilst saying how much they like Fuji. Then they go back to Nikon, then come back to Fuji. And still they are unhappy.

Of course Canon users are going to be happy switching away from them to Fuji - Canons are sh.....urely worth ditching!!! Still enjoy using both the Nikon and Fuji systems but enjoy carrying the Fuji one more for obvious reasons. There are still some things that the Nikons do better than the Fuji, even the X-T2, much as I like it.

Of course Canon users are going to be happy switching away from them to Fuji - Canons are sh.....urely worth ditching!!! Still enjoy using both the Nikon and Fuji systems but enjoy carrying the Fuji one more for obvious reasons. There are still some things that the Nikons do better than the Fuji, even the X-T2, much as I like it.
I know what it is I like about you, Nod.
Nothing:bat:

My Fuji 10-24mm lens arrived today. I carefully opened the box, admired the lens and put it onto my X-T2. Switched the camera on and started to try focusing..... Nothing. F0 .... what the hell is that? ... tried auto, aperture mode, manual mode .. nothing just F0.. I thought try it on my X-T10 so uncoupled the lens and then had to do a double take at the lens... the lens mount was still on my camera and I had the remains of the lens in my hand... Amazing to see what goes inside the lens in terms of electronics etc but not really what I wanted to see.. I gently put the lens back together and managed to get the lens off of my camera... I have always bought lens second hand and never had a mishap. I guess if I was going to have one it might as well be spectacular :( so it is on its way back back to the supplier and my hunt for a 10-24mm at a decent S/H price continues .....

My Fuji 10-24mm lens arrived today. I carefully opened the box, admired the lens and put it onto my X-T2. Switched the camera on and started to try focusing..... Nothing. F0 .... what the hell is that? ... tried auto, aperture mode, manual mode .. nothing just F0.. I thought try it on my X-T10 so uncoupled the lens and then had to do a double take at the lens... the lens mount was still on my camera and I had the remains of the lens in my hand... Amazing to see what goes inside the lens in terms of electronics etc but not really what I wanted to see.. I gently put the lens back together and managed to get the lens off of my camera... I have always bought lens second hand and never had a mishap. I guess if I was going to have one it might as well be spectacular :( so it is on its way back back to the supplier and my hunt for a 10-24mm at a decent S/H price continues .....
That sucks, hope you find another one soon.

I thought I'd write what follows as my first impressions of the Fuji X system for pro use in the hope others will find it of use....

I bought my first X system camera back in the spring. That was an X-Pro 2. I'd always wanted a smaller camera for carrying with me when I'm out and about and the X-Pro 2 looked like the ideal camera for me. I've not used it much since I bought it as I've been VERY busy but I did get to Cornwall for a few days back in late May and was pleased with the pictures I got with it.

After a long hard summer I decided that maybe my 8 years with Nikon had run it's course. The main reason was weight and getting fed up waking up the day after a wedding with a stiff neck and aching shoulders. All very well until you do four weddings on the trot! I'd always laughed at guys saying they found the weight of their kit an issue ("bloody wimps" I thought) but I was starting to realise it was a real a factor.

So last Friday I bought an X-T2. It wasn't until Monday that I turned it on and actually took some pictures. I was instantly very impressed with the performance, enough so that I headed off to a camera shop and traded in my Nikon D4s for a bunch of lenses (I'd already had a quote for the D4s and was happy with what they were offering).

Today I used the camera properly for the first time. It wasn't a paid job, I had my nieces for the day so I took them to a local park where we had loads of fun on a pretty decent autumn day. I wasn't there as a photographer, I was there to have fun with my two favourite people. But they were happy to model for me and I got some pretty decent shots. Performance of the camera was superb. I was shooting a mix of AF-S and AF-C and both were great. AF-C is where any camera can struggle but the camera didn't miss as my niece sped towards me on her scooter. The thing that pleased me most was that I was shooting all my lenses wide open and sharpness was spot on. I'd pretty much given up shooting wide open with my Nikons. I figured if I was going to be swapping to a crop-sensor camera then I'd need to be shooting wide open more often. And the X-T2 and lenses didn't disappoint.

Once home it was time to process the images. I won't drone on, so here's my thoughts:-

1) The pictures are sharp. Very sharp! This makes me very happy.
2) The pictures have higher levels of noise. I never used any kind of noise reduction on my D4s files. I'm going to need to with the fuji. ISO 1600 and up and going to worry me I think.
3) I can't push and pull the Raw files around as much as I could my Nikons. Shadow and highlight recovery is not as forgiving so correct exposure is going to be important. Fortunately I always held that belief anyway but I'll not get away with pulling the shadows up in the summer months like a lot of pros have been doing in recent times.
4) I've never looked at any other camera profiles in Lightroom, instead using the adobe profile. And then I've edited from there. With these images I tried the Velvia look which I'd used in camera. A bit too saturated for my liking but I went with it anyway. Skin tones and the biggest factor and in this regard the images are looking good.

So that's some initial thoughts. If I think of anything else I'll add it.

EMM-17 by Ryan Jarvis, on Flickr

EMM-18 by Ryan Jarvis, on Flickr

EMM-21 by Ryan Jarvis, on Flickr

Last edited:
The 10-24 on the Fujis distorts a lot less that the 14mm options on FF and from what I've seen, the wide primes available for the Fujis are just as bad.

There's a guy on here was asking about my 35mm f1.4. Can't remember his name but could have been @jimmyjamjojo. MPB have offered me £235 which I think was in your budget. If you are still interested let me know and we can talk in classifieds.

I thought I'd write what follows as my first impressions of the Fuji X system for pro use in the hope others will find it of use....

I bought my first X system camera back in the spring. That was an X-Pro 2. I'd always wanted a smaller camera for carrying with me when I'm out and about and the X-Pro 2 looked like the ideal camera for me. I've not used it much since I bought it as I've been VERY busy but I did get to Cornwall for a few days back in late May and was pleased with the pictures I got with it.

After a long hard summer I decided that maybe my 8 years with Nikon had run it's course. The main reason was weight and getting fed up waking up the day after a wedding with a stiff neck and aching shoulders. All very well until you do four weddings on the trot! I'd always laughed at guys saying they found the weight of their kit an issue ("bloody wimps" I thought) but I was starting to realise it was a real a factor.

So last Friday I bought an X-T2. It wasn't until Monday that I turned it on and actually took some pictures. I was instantly very impressed with the performance, enough so that I headed off to a camera shop and traded in my Nikon D4s for a bunch of lenses (I'd already had a quote for the D4s and was happy with what they were offering).

Today I used the camera properly for the first time. It wasn't a paid job, I had my nieces for the day so I took them to a local park where we had loads of fun on a pretty decent autumn day. I wasn't there as a photographer, I was there to have fun with my two favourite people. But they were happy to model for me and I got some pretty decent shots. Performance of the camera was superb. I was shooting a mix of AF-S and AF-C and both were great. AF-C is where any camera can struggle but the camera didn't miss as my niece sped towards me on her scooter. The thing that pleased me most was that I was shooting all my lenses wide open and sharpness was spot on. I'd pretty much given up shooting wide open with my Nikons. I figured if I was going to be swapping to a crop-sensor camera then I'd need to be shooting wide open more often. And the X-T2 and lenses didn't disappoint.

Once home it was time to process the images. I won't drone on, so here's my thoughts:-

1) The pictures are sharp. Very sharp! This makes me very happy.
2) The pictures have higher levels of noise. I never used any kind of noise reduction on my D4s files. I'm going to need to with the fuji. ISO 1600 and up and going to worry me I think.
3) I can't push and pull the Raw files around as much as I could my Nikons. Shadow and highlight recovery is not as forgiving so correct exposure is going to be important. Fortunately I always held that belief anyway but I'll not get away with pulling the shadows up in the summer months like a lot of pros have been doing in recent times.
4) I've never looked at any other camera profiles in Lightroom, instead using the adobe profile. And then I've edited from there. With these images I tried the Velvia look which I'd used in camera. A bit too saturated for my liking but I went with it anyway. Skin tones and the biggest factor and in this regard the images are looking good.

So that's some initial thoughts. If I think of anything else I'll add it.

EMM-17 by Ryan Jarvis, on Flickr

EMM-18 by Ryan Jarvis, on Flickr

EMM-21 by Ryan Jarvis, on Flickr
Ryan, a great write up. Love your captures......... sublime Sir! Great use of the XF90 shot wide open..... impressive.

Hoping to aim for a XT2 in the near future myself.

Regards;
Pete

Last edited:
So I do shoot architecture but handheld. Tripods only for long exposures really.

I try to shoot minimalist stuff I did posted some pictures before but i can post new ones here guys.

I prefer a prime but I read bad reviews about the xf 14mm so I decided it would be between the 16mm fuji and the samyang 12mm

People pay good money for lesser family shots than that :)

I was about to say the very same thing. Doubly impressive for your first use of a new camera! Just goes to show how much of the outcome is photographer rather than camera.

i used to have the fuji 14mm as well, found it really nice lens. if i buy into fuji again it will end up in my bag.

Back