Fuji X-T2 v Sony A6300 Dynamic Range

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Ladies and Gents - just looking for a any opinions on which of the above two cameras has the better DR ?

I have a Fuji X-T1 just now and will either upgrade to a X-T2 or 20 or switch systems to Sony (probably the A6300) - both systems have decent lenses nowadays it seems so DR is a big factor for me as I shoot landscapes quite often and it would be nice to be able to do more without faffing about with filters.

Any words of wisdom appreciated :)

Ladies and Gents - just looking for a any opinions on which of the above two cameras has the better DR ?

I have a Fuji X-T1 just now and will either upgrade to a X-T2 or 20 or switch systems to Sony (probably the A6300) - both systems have decent lenses nowadays it seems so DR is a big factor for me as I shoot landscapes quite often and it would be nice to be able to do more without faffing about with filters.

Any words of wisdom appreciated :)

Mike, in all seriousness, in the real world there is probably very little difference in DR between the two cameras, it's really down to the package that you want to end up with, with regard to handling/weight/size etc. I think you'd be surprised at how much sharper X-trans3 is than the X-trans2 (X-T1), and in my opinion how much better the shadow record is.

If you like the handling of the Fuji's then I stick with then, if you fancy a change then go for it.

Thanks David - that seems like good advice. It's probably just a dose of GAS which will pass but I must say the Sony offering is pretty tempting now - great cameras, a good lens range and all very compact.

Quite fancying an A6300 + 10-18 + 16-70 + 90mm macro - alternative is to trade my X-T1 up to an X-T20 (I have the 10-24 and 18-135) and pick up a Samyang 100mm for macro...

It'll give me something to ponder for a while until the snow melts if nothing else!

Cheers

From the outside looking in I didn't think that landscape was a Fuji strongpoint.

At this price point and if a system change isn't out of bounds maybe a FF A7 of some sort? Buying used would bring the costs down.

From the outside looking in I didn't think that landscape was a Fuji strongpoint.

At this price point and if a system change isn't out of bounds maybe a FF A7 of some sort? Buying used would bring the costs down.

Thanks for the input Alan - I used to shoot FF Canon but got fed up lugging about a lot of heavy gear so I will stick to APS-C I think. Part of the appeal of the A6300 is the compact size and the Sony lenses I fancy also seem to be small + light.

You do know that the A7 is a mini DSLR style CSC? It's about the same size as a Fuji mini DSLR CSC.

Check out the sizes...

http://camerasize.com/compact/#487,579,679,ha,f

Lenses can be a different matter but there are compact FF primes.

If you are looking for an increase in DR maybe an A7 is at least worth s look before you decide to go APS-C.

Last edited:
Thanks Alan - a good point! More pondering required....

Think you've been on my flickr follow list for a long time and you don't seem to struggle with your current gear!

I have no problems with dynamic range with the X-T2 though I will say it is a little worse at shadow recovery than a D810 or D610 that I've had in the past. But you work with tool you have and expose, bracket or filter accordingly. I've never really missed that DR of full frame other than the wow factor. It never really impacts the final result. I do quite like the weather resistance aspect of the X-T2 with appropriate lenses. I've felt that to be a much bigger advantage in terms of landscape stuff than any sensor aspects.

All that said, A7 not such a bad idea if were going to change systems.

Think you've been on my flickr follow list for a long time and you don't seem to struggle with your current gear!

I have no problems with dynamic range with the X-T2 though I will say it is a little worse at shadow recovery than a D810 or D610 that I've had in the past. But you work with tool you have and expose, bracket or filter accordingly. I've never really missed that DR of full frame other than the wow factor. It never really impacts the final result. I do quite like the weather resistance aspect of the X-T2 with appropriate lenses. I've felt that to be a much bigger advantage in terms of landscape stuff than any sensor aspects.

All that said, A7 not such a bad idea if were going to change systems.

Thanks Graham :)

One of the main drivers for the (possible!) change is keeping it all lightweight and compact so it's unlikely I'll go back to FF (mainly due to the size of the kind of lens I want but the A7 body is also quite a bit bigger than an A6300).

On the face of it I could get an A6300 with 10-18, 18-135 and 100mm which would cover all the bases for me and it would be a fair chunk lighter and smaller than the Fuji equivalent.

A friend has an A6000 so I might try and get a loan of that and see how I get on :)

For landscape I would generally avoid Fuji and xtrans because it loses fine details.

Anyway to answer your question A6300 has about half stop more dynamic range than xt2 according to source below

http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#FujiFilm X-T2,Sony ILCE-6300

Hmm - actually on closer inspection I'm not sure any of the Sony wide angle offerings (for APS-C) would be anywhere near as good as the Fuji 10-24 (which I love and use a lot), so it's probably back to plan A and an X-T20. Might pick up a 16-50 for walkabout duties :)

The Sony 10-18mm is quite an excellent lens. The Fuji is sharper but Sony is small and weighs only 225g. I used it quite a lot on my travels because A6000+10-18mm easily slipped into my jacket pocket and in other pocket I carried a Sony 16-70 f4. This made for a great light travel/walk around kit. Basically I could smuggle my camera and lens in anywhere with no questions asked ;)

If you consider A7/r like Alan suggests above the Sony 16-35mm f4 is equally as good as Fuji but slightly bigger.

But if you are already invested in Fuji and it's lenses may be it's better financially to stick with it :)

Last edited:
Hi, Sorry, didn't read the whole thread. I am rocking X-T20 now, before I had A6000. I can't tell you exactly how many stops, but as a non-photographer, I can notice I had way more DR with Sony. Way more in my example means that I didn't need to bracket landscape shots which I most certainly would need to now. That said - in the meantime I picked up some skills in exposure blending (using raya pro) and if I really want something to look perfect I would use tripod anyways, no other way around that.

I agree with fuji not being great for landscapes. I still am learning how to get the best of the camera and sometimes it's such a pain. A6000 with samyang 12mm f/2 and 18-105 f4 (imo not worth getting 16-70 zeiss for the extra money) was perfect for my needs. BUT I will not go back because of two reasons: 1. I started using telephoto for landscapes and I absolutely love it now and the sharpness of that plastic xc 50-230 is just way way better than the budget option from Sony and 2. Battery - I carried 4-5 batteries with Sony, it wasn't much but it was so tedious. I literally can shoot all day (the way I shoot) on one battery in high performance mode with Fuji. Ok, need to mention one more thing I guess - if I could afford additional glass :)D), after looking at the market (especially used) I must say that Sony glass is super overpriced - doesn't matter to me since I can't afford it anyways, haha, but something to keep in mind ; ) Also the controls - in the beginning it was a pain, but damn, I don't know how to use the mode dial anymore.

P.S What I also would like to add actually - A6000 is half a price (new) of the used X-T20 and in my opinion, A6000 has at least equal sensor stripping down usability and all that jazz. For that price you can get sigma 30mm 1.4 for Sony. I really think that if you're on any hype train - you shouldn't follow my example and you should get off it. Both cameras used properly will give you insane results.

Last edited:
APS-C e-mount does lack some lenses and in some cases overpriced too. This is one of the reason I moved back to shooting FF. Since I mainly also shot landscape and people it makes sense to go FF anyway. These days it's fairly cheap also, you can pick up an A7RII used for like £1300 :eek: no Fuji will give that kind of quality for landscapes. Unless you buy their medium format :D

For landscape I too would recommend the full-frame Sony A7R II over a APS-C sensor system.
Just take into consideration the additional cost when it comes to lenses as they are not cheap at all. :)

Been doing a bit more digging... so maybe I could buy an A7ii - have a 16-35 FE for landscape work then maybe mount something like an 18-135 E lens for walkabout duties to give a compact size ( lower pixel count in the results but not fussed about that). Bad idea?

Personally not a fan of A7II. I mean you gain IBIS over A7 but that's about it. Both 16-35mm and 18-135mm has OSS anyway.
Either get A7 or A7r. With A7R you will still have 16mp in crop mode which is plenty (same as your Fuji in fact).

Been doing a bit more digging... so maybe I could buy an A7ii - have a 16-35 FE for landscape work then maybe mount something like an 18-135 E lens for walkabout duties to give a compact size ( lower pixel count in the results but not fussed about that). Bad idea?

I looked into that as well - imo it's way better to actually go original A7R (mark 1). I know how much more things are in marks ii, but honestly, features don't mean much at least to me. Like I thought touch screen is going to be great on X-T20. I never use it. I thought that I'd miss ibis that I had on olympus and yeah, sure I do, it got me a nice picture once, but it's 1 picture in .... idk, thousands now?

One thing which pointed me towards an A7 rather than the A7r is that the A7r can possibly induce shutter shock whereas the A7 has an electronic first curtain shutter which (AFAIK) reduces the possibility, and 24mp is easily enough for me.

Right... I have been cogitating mightily and pondering multiple options...

Think I am going to chop in all my Fuji gear (X-T1, 10-24 and 18-135) and Buy a Sony A6300 + 10-18 and 16-70. In due time I'll pick up a 90mm for macro.

Logic being it is all nice and compact, have tried the 6300 and liked the feel of it, lenses are good, FF Sony is too big and expensive (esp when lenses are taken into account). Was worried about the 10-18 not being good enough but stopped down a bit it is very close to the Fuji 10-24 while being half the size - the 16-70 seems excellent and is also small and light.

What do you reckon... am I being a d*ck ?

Seems like same meat different gravy, what are you gaining?

Can understand going smaller with micro 4/3 or Sony for ff, but straight swap seems like change for the sake of it.
If you want small how about X-E3 and the new XC 15-45, none of my business, but the logic escapes me.

Seems like same meat different gravy, what are you gaining?

Can understand going smaller with micro 4/3 or Sony for ff, but straight swap seems like change for the sake of it.
If you want small how about X-E3 and the new XC 15-45, none of my business, but the logic escapes me.

Rich, your point is valid and I'm not sure myself if this is a good move or just GAS!

I do want to upgrade my body (ie the XT1) so it's not a bad time to consider changing systems and a few people have said that Sony is a better system for landscapes which is my main interest. What I can get from MBP for my current gear versus what I will need, I'm looking at about putting in £500 which is not peanuts but also not a massive amount in photography terms.

I like the handling of the A6300 and the lenses are very compact and light (I am very OCD about minimising size and weight). The Sony 10-18 is decent (esp if stopped down) and the 16-70 looks fab - the Fuji lenses are great also but a lot bigger and heavier. Also the Sony 90mm macro looks good and is a lot cheaper than the Fuji 80mm.

So there is *some* logic in amongst the GAS :)

Rich, your point is valid and I'm not sure myself if this is a good move or just GAS!

I do want to upgrade my body (ie the XT1) so it's not a bad time to consider changing systems and a few people have said that Sony is a better system for landscapes which is my main interest. What I can get from MBP for my current gear versus what I will need, I'm looking at about putting in £500 which is not peanuts but also not a massive amount in photography terms.

I like the handling of the A6300 and the lenses are very compact and light (I am very OCD about minimising size and weight). The Sony 10-18 is decent (esp if stopped down) and the 16-70 looks fab - the Fuji lenses are great also but a lot bigger and heavier. Also the Sony 90mm macro looks good and is a lot cheaper than the Fuji 80mm.

So there is *some* logic in amongst the GAS :)

I would be a liar to say I have never thought about changing, but in the cold light of day seemed just change for changes sake.
Get the feeling you have decided and if you don't make the move you will always be wishing you had.

Opening myself up to possible criticism now, but have to agree that maybe Fuji X-Trans isn't the best for landscape photography.
For my interests, architecture and transport it works very nicely and never have an issue with any of the talked about flaws.

I also like to travel light, my usual outfit is X-E2 with 18-55mm and 14mm, so don't think I would better that much.
Got a feeling you bought the 18-135mm from me, handy focal length range, but maybe a bit on the big side.

Good luck with the switch Mike and hope it works well for you, if not at least it hasn't cost the earth

Last edited:
What do you reckon... am I being a d*ck ?

Hmm - well yes actually. Went back to local shop (again!) for a more comprehensive try out of the A6300 and decided I didn't like it so have ordered an X-T20 and the new 15-45 for walkabout duties. The X-T1 is being sold to MBP and I am keeping the 10-24 and 18-135.

Thanks again for all the advice Gents - FF Sony was tempting but just more than I wanted to spend in the end :)

I didn't realise fuji had a 15-45mm lens... I thought that was canon eos-m (to make up for their 1.6x crop factor vs. 1.5x crop factor)

Back