Fuji X-T3 vs X-T2

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

I am looking to invest in a new camera, and am leaning towards mirrorless. From what I have read, mirrorless is the way forward. I will be using it for product photography, a little bit of video work (my partner records How-To videos in conjunction with her business) and general nature photography. I am in no way a pro!

I have been using a 6+ year old Nikon for 'snaps', which I have recently passed to a family member. Prior to this, I had a Canon EOS 20D (which I still have).

The price difference between the T2 and T3 is quite considerable. Is the T3 worth the extra money? And how long am I likely to 'future proof' myself for if I did spend the extra for the T3? I occasionally work in the US, is their camera market the same as the UK?

Thanks

Have a look at both spec sheets and see which "upgrades" will be of use to you then decide if the extra bells and whistles are worth the extra cost. I skipped the X-T3 and went for an X-H1 instead (2nd hand).

Not a direct answer but I went from the D750 to XT3. Sure the Nikon was better in terms of AF but 95%+ of the time in real life use, its on a par. There are some things that are not as good but some things much better.

The main difference is the AF speed, the X-T3 (especially with the latest firmware v4 onwards) has much faster AF than the X-T2 - The firmware can be downloaded from the Fuji website and uploaded into the camera.

The difference in the sensor perfomance is neglible, the X-T3 has the edge on resolution, but the files are very similar in any post production work.

Early X-T2's are quite old now in mirrorless terms (5.5 years) but they are still good cameras, certainly a step up in both performance and handling than the Fuji's that came before them.

The US market labels the cameras the same.

X-T3 with the firmware 4.0 or newer is a good bit better than the X-T2 i feel.

The AF is better and works better in low light i thought. I think they improved the video features also and bumped up the EVF resolution.

Not a huge change elsewhere, i would have liked a higher res rear LCD and 100 fps EVF refresh rate without boost mode.

The H1 is also a great camera, i had one of those and loved it.

Thanks all, I wasn't tracking the H1 but will check it out.

For similar prices, are there other cameras I should be considering? For an amateur like me, is it worth moving to mirrorless and will they stand up to the test of time in a few years to come?

There's a comparison of the 2 Fujis at the link. https://www.phototraces.com/b/fujifilm-xt2-vs-xt3/ The X-H1 and X-T4 both have in-body image stabilisation (IBIS), which might help with video and possibly your nature shots, depending on the lenses you use for nature. Rumour has it that the next generation of Fujis are due to appear this year, so there may be some bargains to be had later when folks upgrade to the new models?

I have an X-T2, but would like to upgrade to an X-T3 for the improved autofocus. However, given the choice between an X-T2 and 2 lenses or an X-T3 with 1 lens, I would go for the X-T2.

I'd go for the X-T2 over an X-T3 if it leaves spare money for an additional lens.

The only noticeable improvement with the X-T3 is the higher resolution EVF and slightly better AF. If you can find an X-H1 for less than an X-T3 I'd go for that as I'm sure it has the same EVF but the X-H1 has the benefit of IBIS which the X-T3 doesn't.

The X-T2 and X-H1 are roughly equal in terms of autofocus. The X-T3 with the latest firmware is supposed to equal the X-T4. If your ‘nature photography’ includes wildlife then I suggest that AF performance is paramount so you should go with the X-T3. If hand-held video is important to you, you should go with the X-H1 (or X-T4) because of their IBIS. I have had the X-T2 and still have the X-T3, X-H1 and the X-T4 and image quality between them is pretty much equal. Obviously the video performance on the X-T3 is better than the X-T2 but this may not matter to you if your video requirements are just for You-Tube/web use. If AF performance and IBIS are not super-important to you, go with the X-T2 and spend the money on lenses.

Of course, the X-S10 is worthy of consideration too, it has the same IQ as the X-T4, the same auto-focus and has IBIS (it’s like a mini X-T4 but cheaper). The used price is in the same ball park as the X-T3. It is not weather sealed though.

Not a direct answer but I went from the D750 to XT3. Sure the Nikon was better in terms of AF but 95%+ of the time in real life use, its on a par. There are some things that are not as good but some things much better.
I have also gone from a D750 to XT3, I was wondering will my lee filters still be ok to use with my fuji?

I have also gone from a D750 to XT3, I was wondering will my lee filters still be ok to use with my fuji?
It depends what size filters you have (you may need to pick up some step up/down filters) and whether you have a wider focal length Fuji lens which may cause vignetting...but for the most part any filters which worked on the D750 will work on the Fuji

I've both the X-T2 & X-T3
Answering your main queries:

I am looking to invest in a new camera, and am leaning towards mirrorless. From what I have read, mirrorless is the way forward. I will be using it for product photography, a little bit of video work (my partner records How-To videos in conjunction with her business) and general nature photography. I am in no way a pro!
Given that you plan to do product photography with it, then the X-T3's major benefit over the X-T2, it's AF, isn't really an issue.
The X-T3 focuses faster and in much lower light than the X-T2. The X-T2 apparently has better high ISO performance (I've never noticed it).
But I guess you're locked off on a tripod, using either studio lights, or long exposures to light it well at base ISO.

From a video perspective, the X-T3 is a step up from the X-T3 (not that I do video).
A summary of the differences:

The price difference between the T2 and T3 is quite considerable. Is the T3 worth the extra money? And how long am I likely to 'future proof' myself for if I did spend the extra for the T3? I occasionally work in the US, is their camera market the same as the UK?
You're not future proofing yourself with the X-T3. The X-T4 is the one getting the Kaizen updates now. I don't expect to get much more than bug fixes on either the 2 or 3 now.

FujiFilm have announced that they will be announcing a(?) 5th gen X mount camera(s) in May
See 05:00 onwards.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNcYrurP7k0

Back