Fuji X10 vs Sony RX100

Name
Les
Edit My Images
Yes
1st post so please forgive the naive questions (and what turned out to be a very long post - sorry!!)

I know there's lots of threads on recommendations for compact digital cameras, but after lots of online research, including here at TP, I'm interested in these 2 cameras. I wanted something small enough to fit in a jacket pocket, or at least in the small accessible outside pocket of a rucksack.

I'm coming from virtually no photography expertise at all, I currently use an oldish little Casio EX-Z850 for simple P&S, and that's it. I have used it's A, S, & M modes, as well as the Snapshot mode, although they are fairly limited. I took it up to 3 Olympics sessions, Swimming, Velodrome, and Athletics stadium, but was disappointed with the results to show the family on my laptop.

I'm going back up to see the Paralympics in 2 weeks and would like something better to capture that, and I'll also re-take all my general Olympic Park shots. After that it will be used for river/coastal scenes, sunsets etc., and wildlife from my boat; also on hikes/walks we do, that for some reason I've never really bothered to photograph in any serious way. As well as the usual family gatherings of course.

I found this comparison :-

Advantages of the Fujifilm X10
------------------------------
Focus points : Significantly more focus points - 49 vs 25
Macro focus : Significantly better macro capability - 1 cm vs 5 cm
External flash : Supports an external flash - Yes vs No
Viewfinder : Has a viewfinder - Tunnel vs None
Lowest price : Much cheaper - £328.00 vs £516.80
Shutter speed : Significantly faster max shutter speed - 1/4000s vs 1/2000s

Advantages of the Sony DSC-RX100
-----------------------------------
Sensor size : Much larger sensor - Nikon CX 13.2x8.8mm vs 2/3" 8.8x6.6mm
True resolution : Much higher true resolution - 20 MP vs 12 MP
Light sensitivity : Better maximum light sensitivity - 25,600 ISO vs 3,200 ISO
Screen resolution : Much higher resolution screen - 1,229k dots vs 460k dots
Screen size : Larger screen - 3.0" vs 2.8"
Aperture : Wider aperture - f/1.8 vs f/2.0
Size : Smaller - 101x59x36 mm vs 117x70x57 mm
Weight : Lighter - 213 g vs 350 g
Thickness : Thinner - 1.4" vs 2.2"
Battery life : Longer battery life - 330 shots vs 300 shots

On the face of it, the Sony has more advantages, but they are just specs, and that isn't the whole story, is it?

Anyone here have, or have used, both and have views/comments? Or is there another real gem out there that I've missed or mistakenly dismissed?

Many thanks for taking the time to read.

Last edited:
i've used the Fuji x10 and it had been brilliant. I've not used the Sony before so i can't comment, by experience the fuji x10 is fantastic.

Is small, compact, nice retro feel, good control layout, the lens is pretty decent too and can take good quality photo.

I'm interested in the same two cameras. The one thing which is putting me off is apparently bad raw support. Not sure if this has improved recently?

Yes i've been weighing up to 2 also. The Sony really is in a league of its own regarding sensor performance but i like a viewfinder. Saying that the x10's one isn't much of one.

Kerso is selling the rx100 for £450 if this makes you decision easier?

I've had an X10 for 6 months and love it! However, if the Sony had been around at the time, and had been a comparable price I'd have been tempted. As I'm primarily an SLR user, the optical viewfinder was initally a big attraction of the X10 for me, but in all honesty I've barely used it as it's only 85% coverage, and depending on the zoom position, the lens is quite prominent in the viewfinder. However, the twisting zoom lens is far nicer to use than the normal electric switch found on compacts.

Although I've used raw on it, and the latest version of lightroom supports it, I'm more than happy with the jpegs it produces. There's a full scale X10 users thread here.

There's also the Canon G1X although this comes in at closer to £600.

Thanks for the replies, so far.

Yes, I've been an avid lurker & reader of the X10 thread, and the quality of the images on there definitely put it on my shortlist.

Also, I've seen kerso recommended on here, and his price on the RX100.

The G1X is just too big for me.

I guess it's coming down to these factors for me :-

Better Macro, Shutter speeds, and wider aperture at telephoto.
Plus, ability to use external flash on the X10 in the future (although how often would I need to, given it's low-light performance? and I'd need to buy one).

vs

Larger Sensor & more pixels on the RX100.
Plus much more pocketability in its size, thickness, and weight.

Last edited:
You will get very nice images out of both but should in theory get better images from RX100.

The main two factors that would make a difference for me personally are;
- Viewfinder. If you are happy without one then RX100 is best
- Size. If you need it to fit in trouser pocket then RX100 is best

Thanks for the replies, so far.

Yes, I've been an avid lurker & reader of the X10 thread, and the quality of the images on there definitely put it on my shortlist.

Also, I've seen kerso recommended on here, and his price on the RX100.

The G1X is just too big for me.

I guess it's coming down to these factors for me :-

Better Macro, Shutter speeds, and wider aperture at telephoto.
Plus, ability to use external flash on the X10 in the future (although how often would I need to, given it's low-light performance? and I'd need to buy one).

vs

Larger Sensor & more pixels on the RX100.
Plus much more pocketability in its size, thickness, and weight.
The low light performance on the x10 doesn't get close to the rx100 from images i've seen.

I'm in the same boat as you and have decided to wait for a few months to see if anything else turns up and for the pice to drop.

I think the Sony has 1080 60p video, and Sony has by far the best shake reduction system I have ever used. I had the HX9V and now the HX20V which are the junior siblings of the RX100. On the basis of using those I'd want a hands-on test of the RX100 before buying anything else.

CheesyCam has been using the RX100, I don't think a full user review has been posted on there yet.

I think the Sony has 1080 60p video, and Sony has by far the best shake reduction system I have ever used. I had the HX9V and now the HX20V which are the junior siblings of the RX100. On the basis of using those I'd want a hands-on test of the RX100 before buying anything else.

CheesyCam has been using the RX100, I don't think a full user review has been posted on there yet.

well thats good to hear - I eagerly await a full review of the video shake reduction.. I am merely repeating what I heard on another forum, the guy has the camera and is a little dissapointed with the anti shake.

Perhaps I'll wait too, to see more comprehensive experience & reviews of the RX100.

I was hoping to get something for when I go the Paralympics on 5th Sept, but maybe that would be rushing things, and an expensive mistake ........

you could always buy from somewhere that does returns.. amazon? if it doesn't perform as you expect send it back. I would say an underperforming product is within your consumer rights to be returnable. please check first though..

you could always buy from somewhere that does returns.. amazon? if it doesn't perform as you expect send it back. I would say an underperforming product is within your consumer rights to be returnable. please check first though..

I always buy my lenses from amazon for this reason. I have send 2 back.

However Sony's video capabilities tend to be better than most, i can't see it being a problem. There are huge amounts of reviews out there so go and read. Here is a review from the filmmaker Philip Bloom with example films he as made. He loves it for video!
http://philipbloom.net/2012/07/28/thesequence/

Last edited:
only thing that has stopped me buying one fo these really is quesitonable bokeh ability.. I may get one from amazon myself and try it out.

I mean I am sure you can get some bokeh up close at the wide end but from a typical potrait length.. anyone any experience?

I mean I am sure you can get some bokeh up close at the wide end but from a typical potrait length.. anyone any experience?

More chance with this than any other compact due to the larger sensor and fast lens. Maybe something like the new nex6 with its asp-c sensor and EVF might be a better choice for you if you can sacrifice a bit of the compactness. It's hopefully going to be paired with a collapsible kit lens.

I have a G3 at the moment and that can do plenty of bokeh with the right lens.. if i was switching it would be to a fixed lens.

Compact camera should be about portability and with the quality this should be the ultimate compact. If you want zoom this is a great option - IMO the X10 is not that portable. Another option is to get a GF3 with the 14mm pancake if you can live with a fixed focal length.....

Personally I would wait till Photokina and see what other companies will release.

It's a lovely sharp zeiss lens. This really is in a league of its own like i said earlier.

Sorry to be so long coming back with what I actually got when I went to the Paralympics, but I've had a bit of a family crisis with a sick elderly relative, so been away sorting that out.

Anyway (I thought it would be rude not to follow up), I ended up not getting either the Fuji, or the Sony, I went down a different route purely because of a deal that came up at the right price, in the local paper.

I got a second-hand Olympus e-pl3 with 2 zoom lenses, a 17mm Oly pancake, and a spare battery thrown in for a ridiculous price, even lower than I could have got a refurb Fuji for, and it didn't looked used at all.

The camera with the 17mm went in my jacket pocket, just; and the 40-150mm zoom went in my cargo trouser pocket, in a hiking sock for a case (don't laugh).

I used the 17mm all day for snapping around the Olympic Park, and some stadium shots, and used the 40-150mm whilst sat down in the stadium to reach right across the other side of the track. I was very impressed with shots I got, all hand-held, much better than those I got previously from my little Casio P&S.

Whilst we were sitting down having a sandwich and a beer in the glorious sunshine, I put the zoom back on and took some great ones of the very top of the Orbit Tower.

Since then, I was a guest at a Wedding, just took the 17mm along on the body for compactness, no zooms, and again got some great shots, both outdoors and in.

So, all-in-all, I'm very pleased, even if it wasn't what I had originally "shortlisted".

Thanks to all who originally responding for taking the time.

Last edited:
I've had both and the RX100 just wins on features and size. IQ wise they are both superb and neither will let you down. I have the RX100 only now as Fuji lost my return for orb camera. Otherwise I would get another X10 in a heartbeat although the RX has such detailed photos cropping is easy without loss of quality and its quite a magical piece of kit. But I did get it for £422 from Amazon Spain...but even at Amazon Uk prices it really is worth it.

But I had a look at an e-pl3 and as you have found....its a cracker as well. Good choice

Last edited:
Have the RX100 and the X100 (not X10) and have to say I'm very impressed with the Sony, it kicks out some cracking images. If you want something truly compact then I would recommend it in a heartbeat, fantastic camera.

I've been looking at the 2 myself. I do prefer the images i've seen from the rx100 but i don't want to buy another camera without a viewfinder, so the x10 seems the answer, but i always feel a little disappointed with the images i've seen. Maybe i need to do some flickr searching. I've got serous GAS and keep changing my mind every day. Do i sell everything and go FF? Do I stay with the d5100 and buy a rx100 or x10? Do i sell everything and go with a nex6 or om-d? Full of contradictions I know, but this money is burning a whole in my pocket!

Last edited:
I've been looking at these 2 as a possibility as a back up to my 50D (and by back up I mean smaller, lighter and easier to carry) and have also considered the Panasonic LX7 as a third possibility.

Smaller sensor than the Sony but the reviews suggest that the low light performance from the f1.4 lens (to f2.3 at full zoom) more than compensate for the smaller sensor.

Anyone have any experience of the LX7 in comparison to the X-10 and RX-100?

the RX-100 does look very neat and compact for sure, more of a compact camera than the other 2...

I’m having a similar dilemma. I am after a quality compact to supplement the DSLR and for holidays etc. Almost made up my mind to go for RX-100 but I’m not sure how much I like its handling. No nice curves to wrap fingers around so your almost holding it at finger point. Also the lens ring, whilst very smooth, is almost too much so when using it to change aperture. Maybe a firmware upgrade could make it “click”?

It also looks like the RX-100 doesn’t have a digital ND Filter to help capture moody water shots etc.

It’s a really hard choice with so many capable products out there but each with pro’s and cons.

Maybe I’ll have to roll a dice…

Stumps

You can buy some nice quality rings that stay on the RX100 lens even when closed that take ND and CP.

http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/RX100QC_49.php

But I've had an X10 and I now have an RX100...Fuji lost my X10 and messed up the replacement so they gave me a refund... but like the X100 it was the best handling camera I have ever had. I waited until the new ones were all Orb free sensors but by then the RX100 came out so I went for that.

The RX100 is fine once you get used to it as it has a nice weight to the camera. I actually love the lens ring but each to his own of course. I'll stick with it now as like teh X10 i love the colours and teh sharp images. Very high detail on the RX is outstanding as is the HD video.

I am waiting to see what the E-X1 looks like and is priced at :LOL:

I've just sold my x10 only due to the size it's a cracking camera with great controls and takes good pictures but I had to take it out in a bag so may as well take the omd.

I've been looking at the Sony and the reviews and feedback is very positive but I like the colours and the exr mode of the fuji. I'm wondering wether to wait until the xf1 comes out. It's the same sensor as the x10 very compact looks decent build quality although it would have to be the black one.

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Fujifilm_Finepix_XF1

The only downside is that on full zoom shallowest dof is 4.9 compared to 2.8 on the x10 it's the same as the Sony at full tele but the Sony has a much larger sensor. I might hang on as its meant to be out in the US in a few weeks and here in November by that time reviews will be out and the price of the Sony may have dropped a bit more.

My finger keeps hovering over the add to basket at panamoz!!!

Watcha TB...

Just press that buy button...you know you want to (y)

Last edited:
.....and I get decent DOF on the RX100....

The X10/X100 are two outstanding cameras and if budget is a consideration then the X10 would never let anyone down. Mine took brilliant pictures on Velvia...just about perfect colour and so sharp it was ridiculous

Fuji X10 is great for infrared photography, don't know if the Sony is suitable, does anyone know?

Ingleborough_ir.jpg

Can anyone post a portrait shot at full tele on the rx100, really keen to see how much background defocus it can manage at f4.9. Thanking you :)

Can anyone post a portrait shot at full tele on the rx100, really keen to see how much background defocus it can manage at f4.9. Thanking you :)

Not surprisingly, not very much if this example is anything to go by;

p661198181-6.jpg

Back