Fuji X10

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
http://fujifilm-x.com/x10/en/index.html

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1109/11090102fujifilmx10.asp

Fujifilm has unveiled the X10 - an enthusiast compact with a F2.0-2.8, 28-112mm-equivalent lens. It's built around a 2/3" (6.6 x 8.8mm) CMOS sensor that uses Fujifilm's EXR pixel arrangement. The 12MP sensor can produce either 12MP images in high resolution mode, under-expose half its pixels to provide 6MP images with greater dynamic range, or combine neighboring pixels for a 6MP high sensitivity mode. The X10 borrows extensively from the styling of the X100 (though its zooming viewfinder means you lose the X100's hybrid viewfinder), to give a camera that sits conceptually between the Olympus XZ-1 and the Canon Powershot G12.

X10-Front_112-001.jpg

X10-Back.jpg

Homerun?

It certainly looks interesting and I'd be very interested to look through the viewfinder and see how good it is and how nice it is to use.

I think it looks lovely, I'm a bit concerned it does not seem to have a button for changing ISO, but maybe a button could be customised to do that.

These look amazing, its a shame i best they are gunna cost a Bomb :(

I like the Leica styling, looks like it will be priced at a premium though which will put off people.

$499 was what I saw, which would make it a must buy for me.

WOW! At that price these things will fly off the shelf, that works out at just over 300 quid.

Put me down for one at that price :)

First compact that's got me interested in a long time (y)

Hope it has less operational quirks than the X100.

I heard $700. Which, if true, means twice the price of a Canon G12. So it's going to have to do more than just look pretty :(

Looks great. It'd be interesting to see how it compares to the next generation of LX5, S95 etc if they are close to being announced

Here's the link to the $499 mention.

http://wedtog.com/?p=4396

Can't see it myself but if true then I'll be getting one when I go to the States towards the end of November.

Dman said:
Here's the link to the $499 mention.

http://wedtog.com/?p=4396

Can't see it myself but if true then I'll be getting one when I go to the States towards the end of November.

If it's as good as it sounds, they may have missed a zero off somewhere :)

If price was not a concern would you buy this or the x100? :) I am just interested to know how much people love the zoom and what they would be willing to sacrifice for it.

I noticed this camera when it was announced last week and I'm hoping it could be the start of a new trend to reverse the "dumbing down" we have seen in the compact market.

The X100 looks a nice camera but 35mm equivalent would be too narrow for me as I prefer 28mm, but the X10 has a zoom with 28mm equivalent at it's wide end so I could just treat it like a 28mm prime.

The optical viewfinder looks good - hopefully it will have decent framing lines like a Leica.

I'm not sure how good the manual focus is - I can't see any sort of focus scale on the lens. I have heard the X100 had a few problems with manual focus but hopefully this X10 will have good manual focus.

The X100 seems the more "interesting camera" but in terms of somethign I might actually use alot the X10 seems more likely.

I went with a 550D over an xxD body to try and keep the weight down for long distance trekking at altitude, not had a problem with it so far up to 2000 meters but if it prooved too much at himalayan altitude I'd welcome a high quality compact with a decent zoom. 24mm would be ideal but generally I find that I shoot less wide when in the mountains anyway, never felt that confined by the wide end of my old IXUS at 35mm.

Please don't forget it has 'only' 2/3" sensor, hardly bigger than other compacts, and just 85% viewfinder coverage. I fail to see how this is better than for example sony nex5 with M mount glass or perhaps even olympus u4/3. I don't expect it to be priced much lower than the bigger sensor competitors.

Please don't forget it has 'only' 2/3" sensor, hardly bigger than other compacts, and just 85% viewfinder coverage. I fail to see how this is better than for example sony nex5 with M mount glass or perhaps even olympus u4/3. I don't expect it to be priced much lower than the bigger sensor competitors.

Because it comes with a 28-112mm equivalent f/2-2.8 lens that fits in your pocket.

You can either have a big range lens and small sensor (X10) or a bigger sensor and a fixed short lens (X100/M4T etc).

It's not better, but a different set of compromises.

From what I can see, pocketability. It looks to me (price pending) to be competing with the G11 et al, not 4/3s which is what the X100 would compete against. It seems to be aimed at something to stick in a pocket/purse when you don't want to lug a bigger camera around your neck or in a bag - as much as a nex-5 or EP-L2 may be smaller than a 60d/d7000, with a lens attached they're still far bigger than a compact. This doesn't seem to be. I wouldn't get one (I'll happily carry a D7000 and 3 lenses, so compactness is immaterial to me) but I can see the rationale for it.

Cost of the camera is going to be about or very close to £529.

That's £200 more than the XZ-1....glad I got the xz-1 now. I don't see how is a 40% more camera.

I'm supprized its not a bit more than that when you consider stuff like the G series launches at around £400.

I'm doing some comparison test shots between the Fuji F550, XZ-1 and the G3 today. This is on the basis that it looks as though the internal gubbins on the X10 are very similar to the f550 although the lens on the X10 will (should) be much better and the sensor is only 12MP as apposed to 16MP.

So far the f550 looks pants compared to the G3. I have the XZ-1 to do still so i will post my findings here when done.

First outing with my xz-1.

A gig with no flash.

Iso 100, 1/15th, hand held

Only when you push it to the limit is when you know if the camera is up to the job. Taking static subjects at daylight is a waste of time. Pixel count means nothing to me long as it is over 8mp.

OK, The X10 is due very soon and I'm really tempted by it despite having the G3 and XZ-1 both of which I love to bitz. So what I thought I would do would be to compare what I have with the f550 and see how the f550 panned out against the others. This will give some idea of what the X10 will be like. Saying that it will hopefully have a much much better lens than the f550 and the sensor is 12MP as apposed to 16MP. This should improve IQ so it will be really interesting to see how it will actually perform when released. The X100 is a very different animal and I'm not expecting the X10 to match or even get very close to the IQ of the X100 but if it were between the G3/XZ-1 and the X100 then I will be very interested.

So here are some 100% crop unedited images examples all taken in Jpg at about f5.6. This is just a simple comparison and not a scientific test.

My conclusion is that the XZ-1 and G3 were far superior to the f550. The X10 had better be a vast improvement on the f550 for me to part with my dosh but only time will tell. Fingers crossed!! Oh and if the X10 is superb and I buy one, will I be selling the G3 or XZ-1...Naaa! THe f550 belongs to work so I can't sell that.....unfortunately :D

f550 std Auto
f550_Auto.jpg

f550 EXR (Resolution Priority)
f550EXR.jpg

f550 Aperture Priority
f550Av.jpg

XZ-1 iAuto
f_XZ_1Untitled-1.jpg

G3 Aperture Priority
f_G3.jpg

Last edited:
This is on the basis that it looks as though the internal gubbins on the X10 are very similar to the f550 although the lens on the X10 will (should) be much better and the sensor is only 12MP as apposed to 16MP.

The F550 and X10 are about as different as compact cameras can be, one is a 16mp 15x superzoom with a 1/2" sensor whereas the other has a larger 2/3" sensor, is 'only' 12mp and a 4x zoom.

I really don't think you can even begin to judge the x10 based on that.

The F550 and X10 are about as different as compact cameras can be, one is a 16mp 15x superzoom with a 1/2" sensor whereas the other has a larger 2/3" sensor, is 'only' 12mp and a 4x zoom.

I really don't think you can even begin to judge the x10 based on that.

I did point out that they are different so i am expecting good things from the X10. Only time will tell!(y)

Well..... I've placed my pre-order............
It's pretty reckless by my usual standards given there are no sample images and no hand-on reviews.
But I've got a good feeling :nono:

Meanwhile, my LX3 continues to turn out acceptable results.
But the noise at base ISO and soft edges (esp at 24mm) have always annoyed me.
Along with the mode dial randomly changing every time I get it out the bag.

Given the reviewers haven't got their hands on one yet, the October delivery seems a tad optimistic. As long as it arrives by Christmas (another trip to a remote Scottish island), then I'll be happy.

Back