Fuji x100

Here's a detailed video preview of the X100:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3oyhQGcKYs

Good find :)

Check the auto-panorama feature about 2.5 mins in. Cool.

Others enthusiast features like HDR mode, integral 3-stops ND, x-sync is up to 1/1000sec, Velvia/Provia mode... (y)

If those guys are that impressed with a pre-production sample, it's looking good so far. It's sure to be at the Focus show. Fuji have a stand - Nec 6-9 March.

Really interested in this camera, having spent the last month wih an E-PL1 and 20mm f1.7 I love the concept of a small pocketable camera that produces fantastic images and looks cool. Never been interested in Leica digital cameras for reasons mentioned in previous posts on this thread, but as a former Fujifilm S5 Pro and Fujica M42 owner I have a big interest in this camera. The hybrid viewfinder looks quality.

There are loads of samples up on Flickr as well.

Here's another look at the camera too http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/...from-a-rangefinder-shooter-by-pieter-franken/ (be warned, lots of Leica fanboy-ism in the comments). Looks like it's about the same size as an M, which is a good thing imo.

It's quite a bit smaller than an M9, and about half the weight compared like for like with a lens. Though I guess you were maybe referring to that M3 comparison shot?

M9 body is 138 x 80 x 37mm and 585g, without lens. An equivalent 35mm f/2 would add about 250g to that.

X100 is 125 x 74 x 54mm and 445g, including lens.

Has anyone got to see the Fuji at the Focus show?

Edit: in the link above, he explains a bit about the shutter I'd been wondering about, because leaf shutters do stange things at high speeds and begin to act like the aperture diaphragm creating deeper depth of field effects at low f/numbers.

The X100's shutter is limited to 1/1000sec at f/2, hence the addition of the 3-stops ND filter.

Last edited:
..... but never got on with the rangefinder idea and its inherant flaws, which is after all the fundamental problem that SLRs were invented to resolve...
:LOL:, where do you get your "facts"?

Allan

I was quite excited about it when I heard the release, but is it just me thats underwhelmed by the official released pictures taken with it? they look very soft for £900 worth of Camera, the GF1, LX5, S95 XZ-1 all look far sharper and over half the price(y)

:LOL:, where do you get your "facts"?

Allan

Facts like parallax error making anything closer than three feet hit and miss, and macro impossible, plus the inability to focus anything longer than 135mm.

I had a play with the X100 at Focus at the NEC on Sunday, initially I was a bit disappointed by the "feel" of it, I think it had been hyped up so much I expected it to feel extraordinarily well made.

However, no doubt it was very well put together and had a nice quality feel to it, and viewed from the front and top it looked lovely.

Flicking between the viewfinders was really nice, i just took a few snaps and looked at them on the screen so can't comment on image quality, the pics seemed ok, with no glaring problems, AF also seemed ok.

I really thought I'd want the camera badly when I finally got my hands on it, but left with mixed feelings, I might still get one, but only after reading extensive comparative reviews as the lens/image quality would have to be top notch for me to consider it.

The only thing I don't really like about it is having to press a button and go through menus to change ISO, i would have really liked a dedicated physical ISO dial, I generally only change Aperture, Exposure Compensation and ISO, so having physical dials for all of those functions would be great.

If I bought the X100 it would be for a lightweight walkaround for when my D700 would be too bulky/heavy (currently using a panasonic G2 for that)

I was quite excited about it when I heard the release, but is it just me thats underwhelmed by the official released pictures taken with it?

Same here. With the Amazon preorder though, I've got a month to decide before committing - hopefully there'll be some reviews out in that time to help me decide given that it was out in Japan last week etc.

Facts like parallax error making anything closer than three feet hit and miss, and macro impossible, plus the inability to focus anything longer than 135mm.

I dont think slr cameras were invented because of the shortcomings of rangefinders which is the point you were trying to make, and the point I left in quotes. Now you give different reasons to support your claims. Sure, rangefinders were never intended to do macro or telephoto and never claim to be able to. They do however excel at wide angle and low light and allow the user a greater degree of manual control. Knocking a rangefinder camera for how it works and how it was intended to work is like comparing a bus to a lorry then complaining a lorry cant carry passengers!

They are different things and cant be compared on a like for like basis.

However, the thread is about the Fuji x100, a camera that hasnt been released and the only authorised images we have seen have probably been edited to show their best.

I have heard rumours of slow and inaccurate autofocus, certainly slower than a GF1. The lens is advertised as being at its best stopped down... read, not very good at its widest aperture. Its designed to look like a retro rangefinder but isnt one, but in my opinion, it looks quite a nice camera and I hope it performs well well when it released. Only time will tell. I wont buy one though.

Meanwhile, making wild claims about things without any substantiation or evidence seems just plain stupid.

Leica losing money and disappearing as a manufacturer by the end of the decade? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Allan

Last edited:
How are you getting on with the X1 Allan? I saw one in a local camera shop the other week, and have to say it looked very pretty. Comparing the two on paper, the X100 seems like it should be the better camera - what do you think?

I dont think slr cameras were invented because of the shortcomings of rangefinders which is the point you were trying to make, and the point I left in quotes. Now you give different reasons to support your claims. Sure, rangefinders were never intended to do macro or telephoto and never claim to be able to. They do however excel at wide angle and low light and allow the user a greater degree of manual control. Knocking a rangefinder camera for how it works and how it was intended to work is like comparing a bus to a lorry then complaining a lorry cant carry passengers!

That is the main reason why SLRs were invented. And that is the only reason I have ever given.

They are different things and cant be compared on a like for like basis.

However, the thread is about the Fuji x100, a camera that hasnt been released and the only authorised images we have seen have probably been edited to show their best.

I have heard rumours of slow and inaccurate autofocus, certainly slower than a GF1. The lens is advertised as being at its best stopped down... read, not very good at its widest aperture. Its designed to look like a retro rangefinder but isnt one, but in my opinion, it looks quite a nice camera and I hope it performs well well when it released. Only time will tell. I wont buy one though.

Meanwhile, making wild claims about things without any substantiation or evidence seems just plain stupid.

Are those claim you have just made any more substantiated than anybody else's?

Leica losing money and disappearing as a manufacturer by the end of the decade? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Allan

Leica's long history of finanical difficulties is well documented fact. Whether they can turn that around and survive is a matter of conjecture. Personally, I don't think they can or will; they have had too many chances in the past and failed.

Leica's persistent refusal to look the world in the eye without a pair of very large rose tinted spectacles has frustrated me for decades. I have said as much to their face at the factory, to which they respond with yet another batch of limited edition specials finished in gold and snake skin at even more ridiculous prices. Ernst and Oscar would turn in their graves.

Looking forward, their present product line up is too little, too late, or just way off beam. It is crazy to expect to survive long term with the digital M-series with an out-moded design of necessarily limited appeal costing £5k without a lens. The X1 is spot on, but fails to deliver and actually performs less well than cameras costing half the price. Most new potential customers these days have never heard of Leica (as the sales guy in John Lewis told me).

The S2 is an act of utter madness - £17k for the body only - but worst of all it is an extremely niche product, and that niche is getting smaller every day. In a nutshell, Leica does not have the technology to cut it in the modern market - being good at optics and mechanical engineering is just not enough. They are weak on the electronics, which are now right at the heart of a modern camera, and hopeless at economic manufacture. That doesn't add up to a rosy future to me.

The only thing I don't really like about it is having to press a button and go through menus to change ISO, i would have really liked a dedicated physical ISO dial, I generally only change Aperture, Exposure Compensation and ISO, so having physical dials for all of those functions would be great.

Do people really fart about changing ISO settings that much? :thinking:

Either way, simply designate the top function button to select ISO and use that.

It's probably the thing I change most, along with aperture.

The Fn button defaults to control ISO btw.

Leica will not see the end of the decade. They just don't have the technology (and Panasonic won't give it to them) and there can't be many more philanthropic billionaires left. Most newcomers have not even heard of Leica, and why should they. Sadly, they will join a long and very distinguished list. Hasselblad and Pentax next... :(

What a bizarre statement, especially considering Leica have recently announced their best results probably of all time. (The report says since 1996, but that was only when they became a separate legal entity)

Either way, comparing the X100 to a Leica is a red herring. If you want a Leica you'll get one. KR's an over celebrated doilem who has missed the point of the X100 completely.

Having handled both an X1 and an X100 I know which one I'd choose every time (and the clue is it's not the one I decided not to buy when I chose my GF1 instead ;) )

I do laugh when people criticise a camera in a way they would never do with say a car. No-one would ever say a 2 door sports car was rubbish because you can't stick two kids in the back and a dog in the boot. People waiting for the X100 to come out with interchangeable lenses will be waiting a very long time indeed - the viewfinder which sets it apart from all other cameras is only possible with a fixed lens. Those wanting a full frame sensor need to understand a bit more about the physics of photographic optics before expecting one in a body as compact as the X100.

Is the X100 expensive? Yes. Is it value for money? Depends on what you shoot. I know plenty people who spend more in a year on gym memberships they don't use than the cost of an X100 so it's down to the individual as to whether it represents vfm.

Personally speaking, I think it's fantastic and I wish I could out right now and buy one, but until Nikon pull their fingers out and deliver a D700 replacement with HD 1080p video and I get a couple of grand or so spare to pay for upgrading my D300 and GF1, I'll just have to wait.

What a bizarre statement, especially considering Leica have recently announced their best results probably of all time. (The report says since 1996, but that was only when they became a separate legal entity)

<snip>

That's a Leica press release. Turnover is not profit. One swallow does not make a summer. I'm not the only one with doubts.

It if wasn't for Andreas Kaufmann sinking $100m of his family fortune into Leica, they would not be here today. And that's scant return on investment.

Ironically, the more buoyed Leica are by the early success of the M9, the more likely they will be to cling to it - fatally. Whatever the future holds for Leica, it will not come in the shape of an M-series. There's quite a lot of serious comment around on all this if you google.

Just had another play with an X100. It's the same one I looked at on Friday at LCE and a pal of mine bought it today. Summary: very very very nice. The control dial on the back isn't as bad as I found on Friday. IQ at ISO 3200 in the pub looked very nice, and MILES better than my GF1 at ISO 1600.

Lovely lovely camera. Still too expensive though.

That is a hateful video. Tempting me like that... Hateful.

This looks to be more or less exactly what I've been waiting for. It's what the GF1 should have been and what the GF3 maybe could be. If the GF1 had that viewfinder and a quieter shutter I'd probably not give the X100 another thought as I'm petty happy with GF1+20mm image quality. I hope Panasonic watch that video and get their thinking caps on.

I don't know why people don't like this camera, maybe I'm too old.

I notice that Amazon haven't been taking preorders for a week or so now - page status changed to temporarily out of stock. Glad I got the preorder in when I did for a hundred cheaper than elsewhere, although I suspect the date will slip given recent events, which is no problem. Only a camera after all, but shaping up to be a little cracker.

Just had another play with an X100. It's the same one I looked at on Friday at LCE and a pal of mine bought it today....

I'd be pretty p***ed off if I dropped a grand on anything and then found out that the shop had been letting people play with it willy nilly beforehand. I bet they also spent a fair amount of time rattling images off with it themselves. Well out of order, irrespective of whether it's someone you know - wonder how many other members of the general public had their grubby mits all over his one thousand pound camera before he bought it.

Either way, simply designate the top function button to select ISO and use that.

I can't talk for "people" but I do change my ISO a lot as I always try and use the lowest possible ISO I can get away with for any given situation, I'm not sure that constitutes "farting about", but probably to you it does.

Maybe because of my age (??), but I find just turning a dial more intuitive than pressing a button and having to look at a screen and while turning a dial, and also having a physical dial would mean you would know what ISO was set before even turning the camera on.

And by designating the function button to ISO you use the ability to assign another function to it.

Of coarse, not having a physical dial for ISO is not really a massive deal, but (for me) it would have been a useful feature.

Seeing pictures taken with the X1 vs X100 that are trickling out the X1 still looks better.

Seeing pictures taken with the X1 vs X100 that are trickling out the X1 still looks better.

It's possible I suppose - I've not used either so couldn't say, but the thing about the X1 that really killed it for me was the relatively slow lens and lack of VF. Coupled with so-say pedestrian AF (until a rumoured firmware update comes), it doesn't appear to be a great proposition for the price, especially in comparison to the X100.

Ah that one, yes I remember spotting that yesterday. I liked the look of some of the X1 images better too, but overall to me it seems like six of one half a dozen of the other between them really. The last one though - X100 at f/2 with ND filter; excellent image.

That is a hateful video. Tempting me like that... Hateful.

This looks to be more or less exactly what I've been waiting for. It's what the GF1 should have been and what the GF3 maybe could be. If the GF1 had that viewfinder and a quieter shutter I'd probably not give the X100 another thought as I'm petty happy with GF1+20mm image quality. I hope Panasonic watch that video and get their thinking caps on.

I don't know why people don't like this camera, maybe I'm too old.

Isn't that viewfinder only possible because of the fixed lens though? I doubt Panasonic would develop something similar for people who just use the 20mm. If they could just somehow find a way of incorporating a G1 style EVF that would be fine by me.

I like the look of the X100 but it's still way too expensive imo - if the price came down to around £600 it would be a very attractive proposition.

I do. Unlike film, ISO is a highly dynamic variable, that I can change as I need. If I can't get shutter speed to where I'm going with a different aperture, then ISO goes up [or down]. ASA 1600 looked an awful lot worse than ISO 1600 does, even on my compact.

The counter argument to this is 'why, given that we can change ISO as dynamically as we can change shutter and aperture, don't we think of our exposure in three-axes [T, A, I] rather than two[T, A]?' I just don't get it, because I embraced this particular advantage of the digital medium long ago.

I respect that some photographers might want to shoot everything on ISO 50 and use aperture alone to regain shutter speed, but folks should at least acknowledge that this is a sort of 'film-thinking'. Nothing wrong with that [it's how I have to think when I shoot the XR], but there's more than one way of getting to an exposure these days.

Last edited:

Being able to change the ISO from one shot to the next must (IMVHO) be one of THE biggest advantages of digital.

Having said that, I'm ok with pressing a button and turning a dial, it's not a big deal.

I found the AF speed of the X100 was not its best feature, and I was not the only person to comment on it at the Focus show. It's not exactly slow, but not almost-instant DSLR fast - takes a second or so to lock on. More importantly, the shutter lag seems to be non-existant and that's good. I've criticised the Leica X1 for this and though I guess that I'd be prepared to forgive the Fuji overall for this, it's a shortcoming.

I also tried the ISO button having heard that it was not directly accessible, but it's actually very easy to adjust. Another dial would be nice though ;) The ability to change ISO is a very useful feature of digital and although I don't use it much, I've recently tried my 5D2 on auto-ISO and it's handy when you're up against it, but otherwise I found myself double-checking it to see if it had changed without my noticing. Generally speaking, don't we always want ISO to be as low as possible and therefore set it somewhere there as best we can, and only change it when we run out of other options? It's not a 'creative' control like aperture and shutter speed.

On the fixed lens and cool viewfinder thing, I don't think there is any technical reason why the X100 could not have either a zoom or interchangeable lenses, but either would completely change the conceptual execution of the camera. It would immediately become quite a lot bigger and substantially more expensive for a start, you'd lose the f/2 part of the lens with a zoom, and the leaf-shutter with it's high x-sync.

BTW, the shutter only runs to 1/1000sec max at f/2 (leaf shutters do funny things with depth of field at very high speeds and low f/numbers) which is the reason for the built-in ND filter.

looked at these recent links and all the pics- maybe its just me but they dont look sharp:thumbsdown: they look nice images but certainly not sharp the way a grands worth of camera and prime should be imo
gutted as I thought this was going to be 'theone'

Not read this whole thread so sorry if its been posted but here is a video review of the Fuji X100

HERE

looked at these recent links and all the pics- maybe its just me but they dont look sharp:thumbsdown: they look nice images but certainly not sharp the way a grands worth of camera and prime should be imo
gutted as I thought this was going to be 'theone'

TBH I'd be very surprised if the lens wasn't first class. It's a complex 8-element design, with two aspherics and four fancy-type glass elements. The test images I've seen are pretty impressive - have you seen DPReview's samples?

Are those claim you have just made any more substantiated than anybody else's?

I havent made any claims, I said I have heard rumours.

I would be interested to hear what funny things leaf shutters do with depth of field at very high speeds and low f/numbers though.
Allan

I havent made any claims, I said I have heard rumours.

I would be interested to hear what funny things leaf shutters do with depth of field at very high speeds and low f/numbers though.
Allan

Leaf shutters don't open fully instantly. They start with a small opening from the centre and progress outwards, which means they act 'somewhat' like an aperture diaphragm during the opening and closing phases.

At very high speeds, the proportion of time they spend partially open/closed is significant relative to the total exposure, and at low f/numbers that is sometimes visible in the bokeh which has a combination of blurred and sharper areas within it.

I've seen it with Hasselblads at wide apertures, though I guess we won't know for sure about this new Fuji because it's restricted. But I can't think of any other reason why they should limit it to 1/4000sec only at apertures of f/5.6 and higher, and go to the trouble of fitting an ND filter instead (handy though that may be for other things too).

Back