Fuji x100

Don't do it... put the Fuji down and step away from the counter...

you will regret it :LOL:

That's just how I ended up with one on order!

Yeap I see me falling for it the same way. Got the cash for a D7000 and a decent lens so the X100 will leave me change too from the camera pot :p

any samples yet? any complaints?
Having only recently got back into photography I don't have any decent samples but you can see my progress on my site http://www.rizphoto.com
I have come from the Nikon D40 + 18-200mm VR lens so the X100 was always going to deliver in my eyes and for me its considered a step up.
Obviously one of the negative points is not having the ability to use telephoto or changeable lenses but this is that whole fun part, learning to adapt and think about the shot etc.
One of the main reasons why the IQ of the X100 is so good was due to its fixed design. I don't see a fixed focal length as a negative but a positive, its a thinking persons camera.

Apart from what has already been reported regaring firmware/bugs, I don't really find anything to dislike about the X100, its a quality bit of engineering and it has re-ignited my hunger in photography.

I can not stress how cool this camera is to me, even when its turn off and sat on the table it ooozes class.

Well done to Fuji for making something turely unique and different, they took a risk and in my opinion it has paid off well.

Ofcourse your going to get people who don't like it but they are well and truely in the minority.

Riz :)

The problem I have is that there is suposed to be a Carl Zeiss 24mm f1.7 lens coming out soon for the NEX which i'm estimating will be arround £900 so do i buy the Zeiss lens for my Nex (24mm is my favoured crop focal length) or sell the NEX and get the X100?

AndyWest said:
The problem I have is that there is suposed to be a Carl Zeiss 24mm f1.7 lens coming out soon for the NEX which i'm estimating will be arround £900 so do i buy the Zeiss lens for my Nex (24mm is my favoured crop focal length) or sell the NEX and get the X100?

Well purely on build quality and looks the X100 wins hands down, for me it's more about just specs and image quality, it's how one connects with it.

The X100 is still hard to find in some places but the shortages should stop in a month, guess it's a waiting game. US is still yet to see theirs.

Very tempted by the X100! When Amazon get them back in stock then I will have to make a serious decision. Being a student I find a DSLR much to bulky to carry everywhere, I'd much prefer a camera that I could carry anywhere and not feel at discomfort when taking photograph's. Saying that I will most likely keep my DSLR and just have a zoom lens with atleast 200mm reach.

The good news is that here in the Channel Islands there is no VAT so the X100 would set me back about £750, which isn't too bad:LOL:

Last edited:
Bail said:
Very tempted by the X100! When Amazon get them back in stock then I will have to make a serious decision. Being a student I find a DSLR much to bulky to carry everywhere, I'd much prefer a camera that I could carry anywhere and not feel at discomfort when taking photograph's. Saying that I will most likely keep my DSLR and just have a zoom lens with atleast 200mm reach.

The good news is that here in the Channel Islands there is no VAT so the X100 would set me back about £800-£850, which isn't too bad:LOL:

I had a marketing email from Park Cameras, they had stock yesterday.

I saw one in the window of a camera shop in Chichester if that helps anyone, I had to walk on quickly before I got any ideas..

I had a marketing email from Park Cameras, they had stock yesterday.

Thanks but I have to wait until pay day mid way through this month, It's also cheaper at Amazon so I don't mind waiting for them to get some more in stock.

I saw one in the window of a camera shop in Chichester if that helps anyone, I had to walk on quickly before I got any ideas..

Glad I didn't pop into town today now, I would have been in big trouble with the wife by now :D

The good news is that here in the Channel Islands there is no VAT so the X100 would set me back about £750, which isn't too bad:LOL:

So much for students being skint and not affording tuition fees ;)

So much for students being skint and not affording tuition fees ;)

I'm lucky enough to have a part time job so I have some money saved up, plus I'm not at uni or have any intention of going to uni so I don't need to worry about tutition fee's and the cost of flights to England and so on.

Does anybody have any idea when Amazon get more stock of the X100 in?

....... its a rangefinder hybrid which is much different.

The x100 is the ideal compromise IMO and very clever.

Problem is, its not a rangefinder hybrid, it's a rangefinder look-a-likey with an optical / evf finder. Theres a big difference.

Allan

I'm selling my Nikon 12-24 f4 and Sigma 60mm Macro to minimise the cost of getting my grubby little hands on an X100.

On the face of it is there any logic in that? No, not really, but I have a very strong feeling the volume of photos I take is going to go through the roof. We're always out for walks etc and I end up taking hundreds of pictures on my Hipstamatic'd iPhone, as I simply can't be bothered to 'gear up' with the relatively bulky DSLR. The X100 can go everywhere with me, as a result its relative worth to me should be greater than my hugely versatile but bulky DSLR.

My D90 and 70-200 2.8 VR will remain for all my motorsport photography, the X100 will hopefully cover everything else.

Dithered over this for weeks and weeks, unsure as to whether it would offer me any added value over an above the existing kit (1DIII / 5D & a G10 for mobility), but I happened to be passing Park Cameras on the way home from a meeting yesterday, and popped in to try their demo - turned in to a dribbling baby having held the thing, but as they had none in stock, left the shop empty handed (which is a good thing!).

Plenty of time for more evaluating last night, and the decision was made - luckily I was able to lay my hands on a new one today (also a Park - reserved stock that no one collected in time), so I am now the proud owner.

Just need to wait for the kids to come back home from their mates so I can actually get out and about to use it! Test shots around the house are fine and all, but I want to put it through its paces.

All the reviews are pretty much bang on with their conclusions - most of the controls are very well put together, the back 'wheel' being the weakest link - but nothing serious. Pictures are sharp, perhaps 1/3 - 2/3rd's of a stop underexposed to what I am used to from the Canons in some cases, but the dynamic range is excellent, and now Lightroom supports the RAW format, lens correction natively, the workflow is as simple as.

I've not had much experience with range finder style cameras (this is *not* a rangefinder camera, it just looks like one), so pleasantly surprised by the optical view finder - bright and clear is an understatement, and the framing window within the viewfinder adjusts when you focus, so any parallax effects are minimised - the OVF is a highlight for me, as you can see not only what is in frame, but also what is about to be in frame.

Park Cameras have another 19 on order so it won't be long before they are in stock again.

In-depth test now up on DPReview. It doesn't pull any punches - seems like a flawed jewel. Does all the important things superbly, but let down by a whole raft of operational and firmware glitches. Looking forward to the MkII already... :( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmX100/

Last edited:
HoppyUK said:
In-depth test now up on DPReview. It doesn't pull any punches - seems like a flawed jewel. Does all the important things superbly, but let down by a whole raft of operational and firmware glitches. Looking forward to the MkII already... :( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmX100/

Thanks for that, seems like some crazy flaws including long write times and settings lockup, etc. Hard for me to justify the outlay, saved me grief from the wife too.

Last edited:
Ian, back away. Slowly . . . away from the computer. Have fallen in love with this machine.
I just love all that spec (which looks impressive) all packed into a retro-style body. Fuji, you have totally redeemed yourself (I only came up with that as I enjoyed the Finepix S5600 which I still own, but was disappointed with the S8000fd and very quickly sold that one!).

Last edited:
Can anyone who owns one let me know if you can change the size of the AF box - specifically, is there an option to make it smaller or 'spot' ?

<snip>

I would be interested to hear what funny things leaf shutters do with depth of field at very high speeds and low f/numbers though.
Allan

Leaf shutters don't open fully instantly. They start with a small opening from the centre and progress outwards, which means they act 'somewhat' like an aperture diaphragm during the opening and closing phases.

At very high speeds, the proportion of time they spend partially open/closed is significant relative to the total exposure, and at low f/numbers that is sometimes visible in the bokeh which has a combination of blurred and sharper areas within it.

I've seen it with Hasselblads at wide apertures, though I guess we won't know for sure about this new Fuji because it's restricted. But I can't think of any other reason why they should limit it to 1/4000sec only at apertures of f/5.6 and higher, and go to the trouble of fitting an ND filter instead (handy though that may be for other things too).

Further to this, there are some examples of strange bokeh in the DPReview test here, bottom of this page http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmX100/page17.asp

Had a bit of a play in LCE last weekend. Gorgeous looking camera, the EVF works well. Bit bigger than I'd expected, feels quite solid though. It was a bit slow starting up and from the sound of that review the software is a bit of an issue so hopefully an update will improve it a lot.

I don't think it's for me. If it had changeable lens for same price then I'd have been very tempted. That said, I'll probably spend a few months procrastinating about all the other system cameras then buy one anyway.

Saw three (possibly four) X100s in the same room today - and it wasn't a shop.

It was a street photography workshop in Brighton. :)

grum said:
Funny how people are saying 'you can't criticise it until it's out' but then some people are raving about how amazing it is without ever having seen it.

So do those who were raving about this camera based on looks and spec still have the same opinion now it's out in the real world?

;)

I've had a Fuji X100 on back order from Amazon for months now, they cancelled the order last week and stopped listing it although they are still selling it on their US site.

Just ordered one from Calumet instead, even after reading the review. There will be a firmware update before long (there always is :) ) and hopefully that will tidy up most of the bugs

I've had a Fuji X100 on back order from Amazon for months now, they cancelled the order last week and stopped listing it although they are still selling it on their US site.

Just ordered one from Calumet instead, even after reading the review. There will be a firmware update before long (there always is :) ) and hopefully that will tidy up most of the bugs

oh well just got an email saying that there was a mistake and they dont have any after all :puke:

Thats nice in a row, first amazon then calumet, that must be a bad omen surely :LOL:

Think I might just put this on hold and wait for a 5D mkIII :thinking:

oh well just got an email saying that there was a mistake and they dont have any after all :puke:

Thats nice in a row, first amazon then calumet, that must be a bad omen surely :LOL:

Think I might just put this on hold and wait for a 5D mkIII :thinking:

Maybe its just so popular they cant get stock?
Allan

Sorry to be a little OT (and admittedly I've not read the whole thread!) but can anyone tell me what compact camera might be near to this in terms of IQ and manual control?

Thanks, Kevin

Quoth said:
Sorry to be a little OT (and admittedly I've not read the whole thread!) but can anyone tell me what compact camera might be near to this in terms of IQ and manual control?

Thanks, Kevin

Erm. None!

Neither IQ nor manual control? :shrug:

Says something about Fuji's achievement.

I think the only two really similar cameras are the Leica X1 and Sigma DP2.

Apart from that, the MILCs from Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, Olympus.

Back