Fuji x100

Quoth said:
In the early days of this camera, there were some problems with autofocus. These were due to two issues: people coming from a DSLR expected that speed of af and secondly, poor firmware in the camera.

The first was gradually accepted and the second was solved by fujifilm's ongoing firmware updates. It's currently at 1.3 and most people find that autofocus isn't an issue of concern any more.

It's a fixed lens so whether this is a problem for you, I don't know. It made me learn a new way of shooting: I move, the focal length stays the same. Different to zooming with your lens and teaches you new skills!

I am very pleased with mine and certainly recommend it for a person who knows what they are getting. It's not a DSLR and it's not a compact point and shoot with lots of auto functions for all sorts of scenes.

It's a beautiful piece of engineering that will satisfy you or frustrate you and maybe both ;)

Thanks, great explanation. I partly want one for improving me as a photographer due to the fixed lens and more manual control.

I may be wrong but im picturing myself using it mainly for street/city photography and partly for indoor use round at family's house where I don't want to take my DSLR.

TCR4x4 said:
The autofocus is better than any compact, but slower than a DSLR. That said, for most situations its fine. Just dont expexct to be shooting fast moving subjects.

The lens is as restrictive as you want it to be. For me, its pretty much perfect. Just wide enough for a landscape, but long enough for portraits. The whole point of me buying one was to stop the hassle of deciding what lenses to take, and in tuen usually missing a shot because I had the wrong lens on.

Now I actively look for shots that will work with the focal length I have, which in turn I believe will make me a better photographer and consider my compositions more.
Its a beautiful piece of kit, which does have its quirks, but the images it gives you far outweigh any negatives.

Its a bit like having a wife who maybe isnt the best looking in the world and has a funny voice, but makes the best roast dinner you have ever tasted and provides you with endless joy and affection.

Thanks for your help and I love the wife analogy :)

Rapscallion said:
Colin - £599 less 10% at the fuji refurb shop
http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/fujifilm-x100-refurbished.html
10% off with this code P258BTCC467

ps love mine, havent use my d300 in 3 weeks....

Thanks for the code. I think my problem is laying out £550inn one go... It feels more like I've not spent the money over 10 months interest free. Plus, my wife is less likely to find out :)

Phall82 said:
Thanks, great explanation. I partly want one for improving me as a photographer due to the fixed lens and more manual control.

I may be wrong but im picturing myself using it mainly for street/city photography and partly for indoor use round at family's house where I don't want to take my DSLR.

You're welcome.

I have used mine to replace my DSLR and many others have done likewise.

The uses you suggest are what it excels at; but I still use mine for landscape work and enjoy that more. The less weight I have to carry, the better.

I replaced my D300 with this camera and have never looked back. If I feel I need a zoom lens, then I also have my X10, but I usually take them both out with me. The beauty is that they are both light and small enough to fit in a small bag, or one at a time in a jacket pocket.
Before I bought my X100 I had a Leica X1. Most peoples concerns with that was the AF speed and I admit, I missed a few shots because of it.
The X100 is a maybe a little quicker, especially with the latest firmware, but I think if you come from a DSLR and expect the camera to perform as quick as a DSLR, you are going to be disappointed.
If you understand how the camera works and you learn to use it within its capabilities ( just like any other camera), then, it is an excellent camera. Image quality is still superb and there really isnt much at a similar price, that can beat it, if anything.

And, it looks brilliant.

Allan

sold my canon 550d and lenses and am much happier without it.love the x100.bought a canon s95 for pocket plus zoom and have stopped the endless search for lenses and body upgrades,now i concentrate on taking photos.

If you get one I'm sure you will fall in love with it.

chrism_scotland said:
The genuine Fuji case is generally disliked, mainly as its got no access to the battery/memory card slot so needs to be removed to change them.

Some of the Ebay cases (Gariz/Horsbennu) are meant to be very good.

I've made the plunge (near enough) and ordered one in at my local Jessops. Should be in on Tuesday. Can't wait.

I have a dilemma though and apologies if it's already been covered somewhere in this huge thread but I'm unsure about cases and accessories.

I like the idea of the official case and removing it to get the memory card doesn't worry me but it means that accessories won't fit. The half cases from Gariz seem almost pointless unless I'm missing it, can anyone explain the point of them please?

What accessories would you recommend for full camera protection, or what is your preference? I also like the look of the soft shutter buttons but not sure if these would fit with the official case.

Thanks

Colin

gad-westy said:
Apologies as I'm sure it's already in this thread somewhere but what do people recommend for protecting the screen? I use GGS on my Nikon bodies. I see that there is a generic 3" GGS one. Anybody using one or something else I should look at?

Is it not a 2.8" screen? I'll probably be looking to get a screen protector but don't want the wrong size.

The 3" ggs protector fits on the screen surround giving you full view of the screen underneath. ( the ggs has a black border round it). If you take the protector off at sometime, you aren't going to damage the original screen below
Allan

allanm said:
The 3" ggs protector fits on the screen surround giving you full view of the screen underneath. ( the ggs has a black border round it). If you take the protector off at sometime, you aren't going to damage the original screen below
Allan

Thanks Allan. Any takers in my previous question as well (about the half cases and protection)?

I'm still very much enjoying my X100. Light enough to carry about easily but still has excellent picture quality, which is great for walking in the hills. Here are a couple of recent snaps from days out in Snowdonia:

DSCF2202.jpg

DSCF2417-Edit.jpg

:)

P.S. Has anybody tried the wide angle converter? it looks interesting, but seems quite an expensive way of adding a little bit more width... :thinking:

I'm still very much enjoying my X100. Light enough to carry about easily but still has excellent picture quality, which is great for walking in the hills. Here are a couple of recent snaps from days out in Snowdonia:

DSCF2202.jpg

DSCF2417-Edit.jpg

:)

P.S. Has anybody tried the wide angle converter? it looks interesting, but seems quite an expensive way of adding a little bit more width... :thinking:

As far as I know its not out yet - I heard mid-august?

Its not a point and shoot. Look elsewhere for one of those

How helpful your are:clap:. Well, she loves the style of it and just because she has no interest in what each dial is for, does not mean she is not worthy of it and should stick to 'point and shoot'.

I'm sure you could say the same about my D90/D800 and yet I can happily pass it to her and watch her snap away all day.

I'm sure Fuji designed this with the aim being easily portable and able deliver great images with the added bonus of being a low light performer. All of this would suit her and satisfy my needs if i need to borrow it.

How helpful your are:clap:. Well, she loves the style of it and just because she has no interest in what each dial is for, does not mean she is not worthy of it and should stick to 'point and shoot'.

I'm sure you could say the same about my D90/D800 and yet I can happily pass it to her and watch her snap away all day.

I'm sure Fuji designed this with the aim being easily portable and able deliver great images with the added bonus of being a low light performer. All of this would suit her and satisfy my needs if i need to borrow it.

Yes, you can put it on full auto and she can snap away happily. Of course she will soon want to experiment a little, so I would say go for it
Allan

Then why ask? It can be used in full auto but that is not what it's for, unless you want camera bling, in which case, knock yourself out. No need to be tetchy

Wow, amazing shots!

Thanks Chris!

Yes I had seen the converter advertised in Ffordes. Not all that much about it on the Fuji forums as of yet, but I will wait and see what the pictures look like... I suppose the only thing is that having two lens choices (or more if they make a teleconverter) detracts from the simplicity having a fixed lens camera in the first place! :shrug:

DPReview has a thread on whether or not the X100 can be used as a point and shoot. There are some good points made in the thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1020&message=41470147

The feature which is missed by most people who are not overly interested in the technical side of things is a zoom. Thus the X10 might be worth a look as an alternative.

Thank you, I’ll have a read. I’m aware it’s for enthusiast who will not use ‘Auto’, I just wanted to know how it handles in that mode. I’m also aware of the fixed focal and accept you can't have everything, its seems ideal for her and me on occasion.:)

Well I had my dad waiting at my house whilst at work and I've been told mine has arrived from Fuji. Very excited to get playing with it. My friend has one and it looks and feels a great camera from my brief experience.

gazmorton2000 said:
Well I had my dad waiting at my house whilst at work and I've been told mine has arrived from Fuji. Very excited to get playing with it. My friend has one and it looks and feels a great camera from my brief experience.

Get your dad to get the battery charging!

Good call that man. You know, after I ordered it I was thinking "why?" to myself when I have a DSLR with 35mm prime, but I'm hoping this will be my go to, carry anywhere camera and, lets be honest, something we just want because, well, they are cool!

I had a D90 and 35mm and it was about twice the size (or so it felt!). The X100 really can go anywhere in a pocket (y)

The battery takes almost 3 hours to charge....And the charge indicator is about as reliable as a politicians promise....

3 bars, somewhere over 15%
2 bars, minutes away from death
1 bar will die before you take the next picture

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, just got in and I knew it wouldn't be without issues. The OVF and EVF are MILES out from each other. If I frame a shot with the OVF and overlay with say one of the outer focus points (top left), whatever I focus on is not even in the recorded shot. Something really wrong there I think. :(

gazmorton2000 said:
Well, just got in and I knew it wouldn't be without issues. The OVF and EVF are MILES out from each other. If I frame a shot with the OVF and overlay with say one of the outer focus points (top left), whatever I focus on is not even in the recorded shot. Something really wrong there I think. :(

I'm sure someone will explain this fully but the optical viewfinder isn't an curate portrayal until you have focused.

It is something to do with the alignment of the viewfinder compared with where the lens is.

It is more obvious the closer you are to a subject. I'm no expert on it and I'm sure somebody will explain this better.

I'm sure someone will explain this fully but the optical viewfinder isn't an curate portrayal until you have focused.

It is something to do with the alignment of the viewfinder compared with where the lens is.

It is more obvious the closer you are to a subject. I'm no expert on it and I'm sure somebody will explain this better.

Hmmm yes, I see what you mean. If I am pretty close to my subject and frame as I want it (within the boundaries of the white overlaid square), the complete top of it is being cut off in the recorded image. Is this normal?

Can't answer if it's normal, cos I can't remember but check your firmware is on the latest, as many issues like that were ironed out.

gazmorton2000 said:

Nope, that's just parallax. It gets worse the closer you are. Have you turned on the parallax corrected framlines?

Because the optical viewfinder is seperate from the lens you get a diffeent view that is made worse the closer you get to something. Switching to EVF gives you a view from the sensor, i.e. what goes through the lens in same was as an SLR.

Usually it is not as obvious as there are not many cameras with an OVF/EVF setup and an offset viewfinder.

Yeah it is only close up stuff. I am a numpty. I knew it wasn't through the lens but didn't think it would be that far off close up. Fool.

Just picked mine up today.... It's so sexy.... I wish my wife was away tonight :)

SsSsSsSsSnake said:
Phall.when you've used it a bit can you give a few words on IQ versus your 5D please.
thanks

Yeah, sure. I'll pop some comparative photos on as well if you want.

Colin

Just thought I'd post a photo from my first attempts in the house. Not had a chance to take it out yet. I'm amazed by the high ISO performance. These two are just snaps, first one at ISO1250 and second one at ISO6400!

Both straight out of camera with no editing at all (B&W and Sepia done on camera), just to test the JPGs:

Summer B&W by Phall82, on Flickr

Ginger... Beer by Phall82, on Flickr

I'm thinking about getting a refurb x100. Have many of you guys gone for refurbs, and what were your experiences with the cameras as they arrived, please?

Were they all pretty much mint as they arrived?

Back