Fuji x100

..got this

Cobweb and Cob

8062001704_cd9b5d2c6b_b.jpg

Bit nervous about posting it as there are so many great pictures on here lately.

..got this

Cobweb and Cob

8062001704_cd9b5d2c6b_b.jpg

Bit nervous about posting it as there are so many great pictures on here lately.

That's a fantastic cobweb, just think of the work involved when the spider made it. You have done a great job capturing it.

Thats fabulous osh....looking at all the pictures posted recently its clear that like the X10 the x100 produces just perfect colour tones and it could almost be the only the only camera someone would need

Just bought one from the classifieds to go with my X10, will both be with me on Thursday when I set off for my Thai/Vietnamese adventure..... Looking forward to seeing what they can do!

Just bought one from the classifieds to go with my X10, will both be with me on Thursday when I set off for my Thai/Vietnamese adventure..... Looking forward to seeing what they can do!

Toxic

Please share your experience when you get back, as I am going to Thailand next May for a holiday.

Regards

Phil

SO...How do you guy's rate the X100 compared to a full frame DSLR? I was playing with a 5Dmk2 and a D600, took some test shots and had a look at them at home. The 5Dmk2 (with 50mm f1.4) was a big clunky lump that felt like my old 40D but heavier and the images were pretty poor to be honest. The D600 with 50mm f1.8 was a joy to use and gave superb crystal clear clean image quality. I compared the D600 files to the X100 files and there was not much in it!! Clarity and detail was very similar with the D600 winning....just! The X100 does have something special in the look of it's files which is something I love.

I am thinking of upgrading to the D600 next year. I am also looking at the X-E1 which will be a bit more versatile and give even better images than the X100, getting it damn close to the D600.

Si I guess the question should be... Is it worth paying out £2k for a D600 and lens rather than having the X100?

Last edited:
Thats fabulous osh....looking at all the pictures posted recently its clear that like the X10 the x100 produces just perfect colour tones and it could almost be the only the only camera someone would need

Thanks topgazza, I'm always impressed by the pictures the X100 takes directly into the sun.

SO...How do you guy's rate the X100 compared to a full frame DSLR? I was playing with a 5Dmk2 and a D600, took some test shots and had a look at them at home. The 5Dmk2 (with 50mm f1.4) was a big clunky lump that felt like my old 40D but heavier and the images were pretty poor to be honest. The D600 with 50mm f1.8 was a joy to use and gave superb crystal clear clean image quality. I compared the D600 files to the X100 files and there was not much in it!! Clarity and detail was very similar with the D600 winning....just! The X100 does have something special in the look of it's files which is something I love.

I am thinking of upgrading to the D600 next year. I am also looking at the X-E1 which will be a bit more versatile and give even better images than the X100, getting it damn close to the D600.

Si I guess the question should be... Is it worth paying out £2k for a D600 and lens rather than having the X100?

I have a similar dilemma. I want something with a wide angle and telephoto lens. Do I go for the following:

D600 with Zeiss 18mm or 21mm and Nikon 85mm 1.8

Or,

X-E1 with 14mm 2.8 and 56mm 1.4 (if and when they are eventually released)

I really want to get the Fuji. Not only because it would be cheaper, but because it's a much better size for taking on walks etc, as well as having easy to use dials and the EVF, which I find great in the X100 for getting a preview of how the image will look before pressing the shutter.

The only downsides I can see (which could be the things that swing it) are that the D600 has a bigger sensor with apparently a greater dynamic range, and the problems in processing X-Pro 1/X-E1 RAW files in Lightroom, particularly given that I want it for landscapes.

Anybody got any advice? :thinking:

I have a similar dilemma. I want something with a wide angle and telephoto lens. Do I go for the following:

D600 with Zeiss 18mm or 21mm and Nikon 85mm 1.8

Or,

X-E1 with 14mm 2.8 and 56mm 1.4 (if and when they are eventually released)

I really want to get the Fuji. Not only because it would be cheaper, but because it's a much better size for taking on walks etc, as well as having easy to use dials and the EVF, which I find great in the X100 for getting a preview of how the image will look before pressing the shutter.

The only downsides I can see (which could be the things that swing it) are that the D600 has a bigger sensor with apparently a greater dynamic range, and the problems in processing X-Pro 1/X-E1 RAW files in Lightroom, particularly given that I want it for landscapes.

Anybody got any advice? :thinking:
It is a tricky one I must admit.

I'm slightly leaning towards the X-E1 with 18mm, 23mm and 35mm lenses which should do me. I just need to play with the camera when it comes in and take some shots to compare with the D600. The Fuji JPG's should be excellent if they are anything like the ones from the X100.

At the end of the day it would be a cheaper option to go Fuji as I'm finding it hard to justify spending the extra on the D600. If I got the D600 I would want to keep the X100 but if I went Fuji the X100 could be sold and the money put towards a lens. The images should be better from the X-E1 and from examples I have seen they are very close to D600 in quality, sharpness and detail. Dynamic range may be slightly better in the D600 but would I notice...probably not. :D

Maybe....

In all seriousness the x100 cant touch the versatility of a dslr, but its advantage is its size and quality.

you can dash of a long list of the types of shots a dslr can do and an x100 couldnt, but for a lot of my photography an x100 is great. just a couple of things i would change to make it near perfect

• the buttons on the back need a rework, i find them fiddly
  • change the order of the focus modes on the front switch, i only use MF or afs, so would like these to be at either end
  • auto nd filter
  • the option of stronger nd filters
  • auto iso in iso menu
  • faster af. this camera has an f2 lens and brilliant high iso, its a shame that a camera that could be used to great effect in low light cant because of its comparitively poor (to dslr's) af performance
  • i would like a flatter profile. when i add the filter adapter and filter it grows by quite a bit. a flatter profile would make this a more pocketable camera.
  • more bracketing options, ie increase the exposure difference between shots
  • a more defined grip on the front
  • some sort of lock on the exposure comp dial
  • allow the hood to be put on reversed for storage
  • allow the lens cap to be used with filters
  • improve manual focus, its so slow. maybe some sort of focus peaking?
  • better battery gauge
  • are the raw files lossless compressed? if not, make it so please
  • move the battery / card door away from the tripod mount. i have to take the camera off a quick mount to get at the battery / card.
  • standard usb

Ideas that may not be universal...
  • selectable frame lines for differenct crop ratios
  • dof indicators on the lens? may not be possible due to non-mechanical focus
  • fold out screen like my g11
  • change the scroll direction when selecting iso.
  • allow closer focussing without having to select macro. if this will sacrifice af speed, then forget it!

EDIT, perhaps more than a couple...

My list is not as long as yours but mine are on there so probably faily common wishes;

- auto nd filter
- auto iso in iso menu
- faster af.
- a more defined grip on the front
- better battery gauge
- less clumsy user who doesn't get his finger in front of lens when in portrait and only realises after the shot as he uses OVF

The X100 just keep bringing the surprises for me. Today I took my dog along the beach low sun limited clouds. I like shooting while looking in the finder is accidentally pressed display and would you know it i get a full break down of settings and a virtual horizon superimposed over what I can see. I was used to the exposure meter and manual focus guide but this was new. A full active histogram. Anyway got some cracking shots. Did I mention the low light ability of it!

Anyone ever have any issues with the X100's battery charger? Mine's just stared playing up and refusing to charge my two Fuji batteries. The charging light just blinks. The user manual suggests a battery problem, but I doubt both batteries would fail at the same time and only after a few months light use.

Maybe....

In all seriousness the x100 cant touch the versatility of a dslr, but its advantage is its size and quality.

you can dash of a long list of the types of shots a dslr can do and an x100 couldnt, but for a lot of my photography an x100 is great. just a couple of things i would change to make it near perfect

• change the order of the focus modes on the front switch, i only use MF or afs, so would like these to be at either end
  • auto nd filter
  • auto iso in iso menu
  • faster af. this camera has an f2 lens and brilliant high iso, its a shame that a camera that could be used to great effect in low light cant because of its comparitively poor (to dslr's) af performance
  • i would like a flatter profile. when i add the filter adapter and filter it grows by quite a bit. a flatter profile would make this a more pocketable camera.
  • better battery gauge
  • move the battery / card door away from the tripod mount. i have to take the camera off a quick mount to get at the battery / card.
  • standard usb

• allow closer focussing without having to select macro. if this will sacrifice af speed, then forget it!

Phil, thats a fine list of wants and I go along with most, although I know my X100 isnt a dslr or dslr replacement, so most of them would never be a deal breaker. I can only really think of a very short list that I would put forward.

I agree with the fiddly buttons but the only ones that really bother me are the MENU/OK button that is too low and the sub command dial is difficult to rotate. It would be better if it was thicker with a rubber coating and maybe moved a little before it alters anything.

Faster af would be nice and the card hatch should be in with the usb socket.

Stiffer exposure comp dial. I have lost count of the amount of times I have accidentally moved it.

But no fold out screen. I hate those.

Allan

X100 Black L/E kit picked up today and can see from all the posts here that I'm not going to get bored waiting for the battery to charge! Looking forward to getting out and about with it this weekend.
Cheers

Dave

Maybe....

• auto nd filter
  • auto iso in iso menu
  • better battery gauge
  • standard usb

Some good ideas there, can't argue with any of them. One on my wish list would be to add a proper iso dial, maybe replacing the exposure comp dial. It would have the standard ISO values as well as A position just like the aperture and shutter wheels. Exposure comp could be done with that little jog wheel on the back that get's used for very little else.

Effstop said:
X100 Black L/E kit picked up today and can see from all the posts here that I'm not going to get bored waiting for the battery to charge! Looking forward to getting out and about with it this weekend.
Cheers

Dave

Make sure you get some spares.

Make sure you get some spares.

Yep and don't be fooled by the battery level indicator. Checked mine at weekend, battery showing as full. 49 shots later and completely dead!

I now put my spare battery in my pocket as luckily they are small and light.

Took my X100 to Wales with me earlier this month......and used it a fair bit. I have been very impressed with it's performance. Thought I'd share a few:

A stem of grass by Keith Burton, on Flickr

Mountain view by Keith Burton, on Flickr

View inland from Black Rock Beach by Keith Burton, on Flickr

Trev having a rest during the Black and White challenge, by Keith Burton, on Flickr

Snowdon Pano (featuring Dave) by Keith Burton, on Flickr

Aircraft engine close up by Keith Burton, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.:)

Lovely stuff Dave........they looked good on the camera LCD but even better on the big screen. I especially like the mushroom and the suspect. The suspect looks well dodgy:LOL:

Well after reading this great thread and seeing all the great photos I think the time has come for me to purchase a companion to my EOS :)

Few options seem to be available
1. Fuji direct refurb for around £500
2. second hand for £499 with Fuji case, adapter & hood and 6 months warranty from local shop
3. new for £611

It seems from the thread the SAB issue Fuji have fixed where-ever it's from, so should be alright on that front but some others do seem to have had a few other issues

So what does everyone think... cheers all

I'm thinking of getting an x100 (after only just selling one). I'm looking for a used one on here at a decent price and if that doesn't happen soon will go for a refurb. The hood and adapter are good to have. Not sure about a case. The Fuji one is very nice but quite expensive and I only ever used the bottom part anyway. Lots of alternatives to that out there at lower price.

Well the one at the local shop has been sold so I've ordered a refurb one, can always return it if I'm not happy with the condition :)

Will start my search for an ideal case and lots of accessories...

Cheers

Dave

Can I ask where you got it? I'm considering an early christmas present for myself but the black l/e edition seems to be a good 100 quid more expensive. Are the extras worth it and things I'd need anyway? Can't justify it just cos all black looks cool :)

UPDATE: Never mind I bought one :) Been interested for months and finally clicked the buy button.

Last edited:
My refurbished one turned up today - like most others on this thread the condition seems great like new, just a bit of a scuffed box really

So now for some learning on the differences between this and my SLR :)

Hmm and deciding on a case, adapter ring and which memory card to go for....

So a cheap full leather case (will try it out and see how I get on), GGS screen protector and 32gb memory card ordered...

Annoyingly the JJC hood on Amazon has gone up in price since earlier this week, so can't bring myself to ordering that just yet :)

Here's hoping for some nice weather at the weekend to see how I enjoy the camera...

Hmm and deciding on a case, adapter ring and which memory card to go for....

If you will be using RAW, then get the fastest card you can. I have a Sandisk Extreme pro class 10, 95 mbs card.
I did some tests when I bought mine. On continuous drive mode, you can store 8 raws or 10 jpegs in a burst. It will take about the same time to write these images to the card and clear the buffer. ( about 10 -12 seconds) A 30 mbs card will take about 25 seconds to write the same amount of raw files.
Cant help with the case or hood though, I use mine naked.:whistle:
Allan

Back