Fuji x100

Excited to see the closer focusing abilities so I don't have to switch to EVF as often.

I hope focus peaking can be provided in instant-preview, otherwise I see no need for it with this laggy focus wheel.

What I would REALLY like to see is to be able to spin the focus wheel in AF-S mode and it changes AF points. Then I no longer have need to access any of the buttons on the back.

What I would REALLY like to see is to be able to spin the focus wheel in AF-S mode and it changes AF points. Then I no longer have need to access any of the buttons on the back.

Now you've mentioned that and I've seen others mention it it does sound like that would be rather useful :) - is that on most of the other x-series cameras?

Testing out the Pano function at the new Birmingham Library. Got a few keepers but took quite a few attempts. Any tips for more reliable shots? Pan the camera fast or slow?

birmingham_library%252520%25252850%252520of%25252076%252529.jpg

birmingham_library%252520%25252821%252520of%25252076%252529.jpg

birmingham_library%252520%25252824%252520of%25252076%252529.jpg

I'm not a fan of the built in Astia film mode, but shooting raw, and processing with VSCO pack 4 Astia gives a pleasing colour tone:

birmingham_library%2520%252831%2520of%252076%2529.jpg

Never go double denim.

Testing out the Pano function at the new Birmingham Library. Got a few keepers but took quite a few attempts. Any tips for more reliable shots? Pan the camera fast or slow?
Have to say I struggle with the pano mode on the X100, but slower seems to work best. I'm too used to the X10 where I generally just wave the camera around in a vague manner and get acceptable pano pics :D

Looking forward to trying the new firmware as well, sounds like it may improve upon some of the focus issues (y)

It's really tough to get good pano's on any camera. I think it is just down to all the vibration and movement. I seem to have better luck just taking 3-5 photos and stitching them later..

I'm sure this has cropped up before, but has anyone just taken an X100 (and nothing else) on a bit of a travel adventure? If so, was it restrictive in any way?

I recently spent two weeks travelling around the US and only used a 14 and 35mm, so for my next trip in two months I figured I may as well go one further and just use an X100.

Is there an official x100/100s thread somewhere? One we can add handy information to ect?

I'm sure this has cropped up before, but has anyone just taken an X100 (and nothing else) on a bit of a travel adventure? If so, was it restrictive in any way?

I recently spent two weeks travelling around the US and only used a 14 and 35mm, so for my next trip in two months I figured I may as well go one further and just use an X100.

I am travelling around Nevada , Utah and Arizona in a couple of weeks armed only with my x100 and wide angle conversion lens . looking forward to seeing how it copes .

I took my X100s to Turkey last month, but also took the D800 and the 85mm. I used both about the same amount. I would have been fine with just the fuji, but the D800 + 85 gave me much greater scope, with the crop-ability of the D800 it was like having a zoom on hand too. I left all other, heavier lenses at home.

But a lot of these pics were not taken at 35mm equivalent?

None of them were! It was just a general post as the reply to my original travel question was from somebody who happens to be going to the same 3 states as I've just been to.

None of them were! It was just a general post as the reply to my original travel question was from somebody who happens to be going to the same 3 states as I've just been to.

Ah ok, sorry. I misinterpreted your post :)

Back on topic, I'm still loving this camera

birmingham_library%2520%252856%2520of%252076%2529.jpg

birmingham_library%2520%252854%2520of%252076%2529.jpg

Last edited:
Tempted to pick one of these up again, I'm selling off my D600 kit and looking for something small I can use in the meantime. 35mm is my favourite focal length so this would seem the best option!

Torn between the X100 and the X100s although the cheapness of a used X100 is very very appealing just now!

Mine went for a great wonder round Istanbul - didn't miss an dslr

Www.hughmillerphotography.co.uk/2013/08/20/istanbul/

What's a good price to pay for a 2nd hand X-100 from a dealer? I've been very impressed by the baby Xs I have and am quite tempted by their bigger cousin, although the fixed FL could be a little restrictive.

What's a good price to pay for a 2nd hand X-100 from a dealer? I've been very impressed by the baby Xs I have and am quite tempted by their bigger cousin, although the fixed FL could be a little restrictive.

I would have thought about £450 would be a reasonable amount from a dealer with a guarantee - not sure what the fuji refurbs are selling for direct from Fuji at the moment as it maybe worth checking there as they are often just like new (check around for a discount code as I think there was a 10% when I bought mine from them last year)

Buying from the forums is a possibility too - I think recently they've been going for around £350-400 so that could be another option for you

I would have thought about £450 would be a reasonable amount from a dealer with a guarantee - not sure what the fuji refurbs are selling for direct from Fuji at the moment as it maybe worth checking there as they are often just like new (check around for a discount code as I think there was a 10% when I bought mine from them last year)

Buying from the forums is a possibility too - I think recently they've been going for around £350-400 so that could be another option for you

Refurbs are actually pretty pricey from fuji £599 last time I looked

More investigation needed... Thanks for all replies.

Had a play with the second hand X-100 I had seen and it's still on their shelf. I couldn't see any real benefits (for prints up to A3) over my X-20. Maybe if I liked the shallow DoF look but since I'm not a great fan of it, I passed. I had also seen the wrong price tag and thought it was £300 rather than it's actual tagged price of £430.

Oh yeah sorry! I read brand new x100 as the latest S model and got all excited.

Lol no worries. I was surprised to still find a brand new x100. Very tempted to acquire alongside my x10. Can't justify the x100s

Switching macro mode on/off starts to get a bit old when using it as a walkabout / portrait camera. Still, I'll put up with the niggles when it produces results like:

20130913-DSCF5989.jpg

A few here from our recent trip down to Cornwall. I took loads more but didn't want to bore everyone.

With a two year old on board travelling from Sheffield to deepest, darkest Cornwall felt like a real adventure :LOL: Amazing weather considering it was September.

They're are all taken with the X100 except the beach shots right at the end of the set. They're taken with a Panny G3.

9741018652_05990681bb_b.jpg

9741940356_88040a1392_b.jpg

9741988780_2ec3b708f8_b.jpg

Last edited:
Switching macro mode on/off starts to get a bit old when using it as a walkabout / portrait camera. Still, I'll put up with the niggles when it produces results like:

20130913-DSCF5989.jpg

It's still a hell of a lot easier than having to change lenses! You know you only need tap the direction key once, then use the shutter button? You don't need to confirm it in macro mode. Makes it that little bit quicker.

It's still a hell of a lot easier than having to change lenses! You know you only need tap the direction key once, then use the shutter button? You don't need to confirm it in macro mode. Makes it that little bit quicker.

Thanks for the reminder of that little time saver! :)

One more from the same day out... from macro to landscape.

20130912-DSCF5871.jpg

Before buying the x100 I had hankerings for a 5dmk2 and all sorts of lens, for now, that urge has gone!

Yes I'm surprised how comfortable I am using the 35mm equivalent focal length all the time. I can see why so many people have the 20mm f1.7 glued to their m43 cameras. Perhaps the X100 is all the camera I need. For now :LOL:

Thanks for the reminder of that little time saver! :)

One more from the same day out... from macro to landscape.

20130912-DSCF5871.jpg

Before buying the x100 I had hankerings for a 5dmk2 and all sorts of lens, for now, that urge has gone!

So, I bought a Yongnuo 560-II flash. I also bought the 603 triggers, but I bought the Nikon version, and the x100 just won't fire them. They've gone back to Amazon, and I've ordered some Cowboy Studio ones instead (the Canon 603s work apparently, but the Cowboy Studio ones were cheaper anyway)

Here's one of the first efforts I liked. A selfie, sat on the floor, flash on my lap pointing at the wall behind me, triggered by the x100's internal flash at -2/3. No reflectors (but white(ish) walls on three sides). I'm pretty happy with it, considering I don't know what I'm doing.

DSCF2718 by Arfonfab, on Flickr

Now I need a stand, a background, a softbox, a reflector, a Flashbender, gels, . . .

Edit: the Cowboy Studio NPT-4 does indeed trigger the YN-560 II from the x100

Last edited:
Picture of my mum doing a glider flight for the Great North Air Ambulance. Kudos to her considering her mum (my grandma) passed away that morning, but she battled through it for the charitable cause.

DSCF5957.jpeg

DSCF5959.jpg

My mate trying to temp me with one,said its near mint hood kit 2x batt and genuine fuji retro £450,now he said the person will take £420 sound a little high to me ?
Plus i am not to sure if its for me fixed lens,and slow AF have they been any update to improve the speed,and does it make it any better.

:)

Has anyone bought the wide angle converter (WCL-X100)? If so how do you find it? The reviews are positive and an optional wider FL would be good, but it is expensive for the sake of 4mm.

Back