Review Fuji x100F or alternative

Edit My Images
No
Hey guys I’ve been looking at the above camera as an option for social use. Possible used for print entries for my photography club to the size of A3 prints.

My main question is can anyone recommend an alternative option? As I’ve really fallen out of touch with market and tech specs.

You could get a used Fuji X-T1 and small prime. IMO they are far better cameras than the X100 line.
I had the original X100 and it was like a toy compared to an X-T1.

You could get a used Fuji X-T1 and small prime. IMO they are far better cameras than the X100 line.

Thank you.

What size and weight are we talking for the x-T1?

Thank you.

What size and weight are we talking for the x-T1?

With a little prime lens it was not very heavy or big, I used a 35mm f2 and of course it wont fit in a pocket like a x100f but it still felt small and light to me anyway but I am used to big dslr`s though.

The main thing was the outer dials, large viewfinder, better grip in the hand and to me felt tougher, better designed and a higher lever of camera overall.

I use a D800 and the X100T doesn't feel like a toy, but it is small and light enough to take everywhere without even thinking about it. It has become my most used camera, and would be replaced by an X100F if it broke. If you're happy with the fixed focal length and don't want to build another system to supplement your dSLR, the X100 series could make sense. I'd suggest trying out the various alternatives that will be mentioned in this thread in a shop, and consider how you'd use them socially. If you don't carry a bag everywhere, it might be worth having something you can stuff in a jacket pocket. A3 prints won't be a problem with the X100F.

IMO the X100F is better than the X-T1 as long as you are happy with a fixed focal length (or add-on lenses). The image quality is as good or better, the controls are (almost) the same, and it’s far more compact therefore more likely to be with you. I dropped the X-T2 in favour of the 100F on a month-long trip to HK and Oz and never missed the T2 (or Pro2, which I also own).

Well, I'm going to take up the contrary position to Stephen. Having now had six X100 series including two Fs I have come to the conclusion (twice now) that although the X100F is a superb camera and so appealing visually, it just isn't as versatile as an X-T2.
For me, the issue is the fixed focal length - I much prefer the convenience of a zoom. My X-T2 and 18-55 zoom is a bit bigger than an X100F but not so if you also have to carry TCL and WCL conversion lenses.

I got the x100f as a walk around camera for holidays etc. Its such a great camera i very nearly switched from canon to fuji completely. i like the fixed focal length if i was looking to take a camera with interchangable lenses i would just take my canon gear, having a smaller body only reduces size and weight you still have the rest of the faffing about you get with a full size dslr. I cant recommend the little fuji enough its amazing!

There is a world of difference between X100 and X-T1, but the F is a different kettle of fish, I would take an X-Trans3 sensor over an X-Trans2 any day of the week.

IMO the X100F is better than the X-T1 as long as you are happy with a fixed focal length (or add-on lenses). The image quality is as good or better, the controls are (almost) the same, and it’s far more compact therefore more likely to be with you. I dropped the X-T2 in favour of the 100F on a month-long trip to HK and Oz and never missed the T2 (or Pro2, which I also own).

I agree with this, the X100F with its fixed lens, also forces you to think outside the box. I take out the X-T2 and a bunch of lenses when I'm on a definite photography trip, for all other photography I'd take the X100F.

Well, I'm going to take up the contrary position to Stephen. Having now had six X100 series including two Fs I have come to the conclusion (twice now) that although the X100F is a superb camera and so appealing visually, it just isn't as versatile as an X-T2.
For me, the issue is the fixed focal length - I much prefer the convenience of a zoom. My X-T2 and 18-55 zoom is a bit bigger than an X100F but not so if you also have to carry TCL and WCL conversion lenses.

I'm in the other camp, having owned (and still own 2 X-T2,X-T20) at least 6 interchangeable lens Fuji's and a couple of X100s (original and F), I think the F is simply brilliant, and is a very versatile compact tool, despite being only a single focal length, the WCL is very light (and useful), the TCL - I'd have to agree with you, its a bit marmite.

I got the x100f as a walk around camera for holidays etc. Its such a great camera i very nearly switched from canon to fuji completely. i like the fixed focal length if i was looking to take a camera with interchangable lenses i would just take my canon gear, having a smaller body only reduces size and weight you still have the rest of the faffing about you get with a full size dslr. I cant recommend the little fuji enough its amazing!

Agree! My choice of a city break combo is the X100F + WCL + spare battery

X100 classic here. Been using it for many years. It's my single most used proper camera, second only two my smart phone. Most of my home's printed photos come from this camera.

I've switched from Canon 5D2 to Fuji X-E2 system with many Fuji lenses. But I still come back to the X100 for its wonderful sensor and compactness.

On alternatives, there's the X70 for more compactness. There's also the M43 prime setups and Sony RX100 if you fancy a compact zoom.

In fact, I'm considering the Sony RX100 mk5 (? not the latest one with f2.8, the f1.8 one) to replace my X-E2 18-55 single lens setup.

There is a world of difference between X100 and X-T1, but the F is a different kettle of fish, I would take an X-Trans3 sensor over an X-Trans2 any day of the week.

I agree with this, the X100F with its fixed lens, also forces you to think outside the box. I take out the X-T2 and a bunch of lenses when I'm on a definite photography trip, for all other photography I'd take the X100F.

I'm in the other camp, having owned (and still own 2 X-T2,X-T20) at least 6 interchangeable lens Fuji's and a couple of X100s (original and F), I think the F is simply brilliant, and is a very versatile compact tool, despite being only a single focal length, the WCL is very light (and useful), the TCL - I'd have to agree with you, its a bit marmite.

Agree! My choice of a city break combo is the X100F + WCL + spare battery

It's a good job we're all different:) David is a professional and I'm a mere amateur - I really want just one 'good' camera - I don't want lots of gear since it has taken much time, effort and heartache to reduce my gear to a minimum which is consistent with my ability (and level of enthusiasm). I think you need to seriously think about what you want to achieve - ie the end product. Personally (and others will disagree, I'm sure) I never found the TCLs and WCLs convenient as they change the X100 from a lightweight pocketable camera into something much bigger and heavier - more than an X-T2/18-55 zoom combo and all for focal lengths of 19, 23 and 34 mm - it just doesn't add up for someone like me. However, I do still love the X100 - they are a lovely thing.

I tend to agree that the TCL is relatively large and cumbersome, and is my least used lens. Basically I have it because I can, and just in case, but it’s seldom used.

I have a D750 but use my X100F a lot for travelling and when I don't want to take bulk. It is arguably the perfect camera. Went to Orlando and Sth Carolina last year with that as my only camera. I like primes so the 35mm was fine, sure at times wider or certainly longer would have been nicer but 90% of the time it was fine.

Also consider an X-E3 with the 23mmf2. It's about the same size & weight (same sensor & processor) but cheaper and obviously can have other focal lengths strapped to it. The X100 has the viewfinder, the leaf shutter & the looks but I don't think that'd be enough to tempt me away from an X-E3. I still miss my X-E1. My favourite field of view is 16/24mm. It's rare I'll do anything at 23/35. Now if they did an X70 remake - then I'd be indecisive.

Questions to ask yourself:
- Will a single focal length suffice? If not, will the X100 converters do enough of a job for you? (and can you afford them?)
- Do you need a leaf shutter for fast flash sync?
- Is the hybrid viewfinder important?

:rolleyes:
i agree with this but i would also take the C bayer over any Xtrans any day of the month
:D:p

Have you had a camera with X-Trans3 (yet???)

There is something very nice about the images from the original X100, but IMHO X-Trans3 was a step change in X-Tans designs, not only do we get lovely images, but is very sharp and much better at higher ISO.

Have you had a camera with X-Trans3 (yet???)

There is something very nice about the images from the original X100, but IMHO X-Trans3 was a step change in X-Tans designs, not only do we get lovely images, but is very sharp and much better at higher ISO.
I've had an x100f and an xt20 so yes and I still prefer the Bayer but agree trans 3 is sharper but less organic ;)

I've had an x100f and an xt20 so yes and I still prefer the Bayer but agree trans 3 is sharper but less organic ;)

You were gone a long time, thought you'd pop to your local camera shop to get (re)acquainted with an X100F :D

An X100 is still a lovely thing, but you can send a postcard faster than the AF will lock, didn't seem so bad in 2011 but compared with today's snappier offerings its very pedestrian.

You were gone a long time, thought you'd pop to your local camera shop to get (re)acquainted with an X100F :D

An X100 is still a lovely thing, but you can send a postcard faster than the AF will lock, didn't seem so bad in 2011 but compared with today's snappier offerings its very pedestrian.
Agreed of course but I just prefer the look,I understand most prefer the trans,
Ps been watching England humiliate the Aussies:ROFLMAO:

Agreed of course but I just prefer the look,I understand most prefer the trans,
Ps been watching England humiliate the Aussies:ROFLMAO:

Anyway Chris, just look at this image each time before you look at new camera gear (taken on an X100 -classic of course!!)

170522 Wrong Way
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Back