Fuji X100s - an unusual question

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
I've been using a Fuji X100 for over 18 months, mainly as a travel camera. I made the mistake of checking out the X100s in Jessops and was wowed by the quality of the new EVF and the faster AF. Now I am thinking of trading up but I have a question that those with the X100s may be able to answer.

The AF of the X100 takes some getting used to. I've had plenty of occasions where a friendly waiter / person has taken a picture of me and my wife standing together only for the camera to happily focus on the background behind us (using the centre AF point). The same is true for any occasion where someone says ' here let me take your picture' - they are normally out of focus. Is the X100s better in this respect? I know there is no face detection but does the multi-point focussing work any better for example?

Regardless of which model you use if the AF point is not placed on the subject or is so large that it is also on the background then the camera will likely not focus correctly, the way to do it is to change the size of the AF rectangle by pressing AF and using the command dial to alter its size to one appropriate for the situation.

I tend to use the smallest AF point size and manually select the one that I want. If I was handing the camera to someone else I'd probably just set it to the centre point or somewhere nearby and ask them to aim at someone's face or eyes depending on how tight the shot was.

I've been using a Fuji X100 for over 18 months, mainly as a travel camera. I made the mistake of checking out the X100s in Jessops and was wowed by the quality of the new EVF and the faster AF. Now I am thinking of trading up but I have a question that those with the X100s may be able to answer.

The AF of the X100 takes some getting used to. I've had plenty of occasions where a friendly waiter / person has taken a picture of me and my wife standing together only for the camera to happily focus on the background behind us (using the centre AF point). The same is true for any occasion where someone says ' here let me take your picture' - they are normally out of focus. Is the X100s better in this respect? I know there is no face detection but does the multi-point focussing work any better for example?

It is beyond me as to why face detection was not included in the 100S...

A lot of people use the X100 (s) for street photography and use zone focus, maybe you should set it up like that, then there is a pretty good chance you will be in focus next time you feel the urge to give your camera to a stranger....
Face detection would have been nice on occasions, I must admit.
Allan

Back