Fuji X100S

The ovf doesn't have an indicator during manual focus. You need to use it as an evf if you want an indicator in manual focus mode. There are focus indicators in the ovf in the af modes.

Just had a look, you get the distance scale in MF in both viewfinders. Would be cool if you could get split screen in the OVF but that's not going to work with the way the camera's set up.

Picked up an X100s today, just playing sat at my desk so far sorting out options... finding the viewfinder a bit of a let down............The EVF is really dark though. I have shoved the brightness up to +5 but it didn't seem to make any difference. Anyone else find this? It's probably OK indoors, or in even light. But anything remotely backlit and it becomes almost unusable. Too dark to focus, switch to the OVF and you can see fine, but can't focus - so you're left with guessing or hitting the AF and hoping..

The EVF on mine looks exactly the same as my rear screen. Is yours like that?
Allan

I apparently have too much time on my hands, started reading various threads on the Fuji 100s and then moved on to reviews and bloody youtube and before I knew it..............

Ordered one tonight (£778.00 from Panamoz) so I don't expect to see it until next week sometime.

Seduced by the looks and the quality of the images that I have seen so really hope I'm not disappointed.

I'm currently using a canon 6d and a variety of canon glass, walking along the South West coast path yesterday near Wembury and got fed up lugging a few kilo's of kit around.

So as I said, seduced by the image quality and it's looks and of course it's nice small package, so hopefully win win win.

I apparently have too much time on my hands, started reading various threads on the Fuji 100s and then moved on to reviews and bloody youtube and before I knew it..............

Ordered one tonight (£778.00 from Panamoz) so I don't expect to see it until next week sometime.

Seduced by the looks and the quality of the images that I have seen so really hope I'm not disappointed.

I'm currently using a canon 6d and a variety of canon glass, walking along the South West coast path yesterday near Wembury and got fed up lugging a few kilo's of kit around.

So as I said, seduced by the image quality and it's looks and of course it's nice small package, so hopefully win win win.

You're now set up exactly the same as me then... you won't regret it, i'm sure (y)

............................walking along the South West coast path yesterday near Wembury and got fed up lugging a few kilo's of kit around.

Exactly the same reason I bought my Fuji!
It's a pleasure to carry it round, not least for the admiring glances from other people and the fact nobody relly minds when you casually point it at them, without the traditional DSLR stance......

Allan

Can anyone explain the Hybrid viewfinder to me? I really like it, but when I frame a shot and move the focus point, the white box shifts and changes the composition of my image.

How can I stop the white box from "jumping" :shrug:

You can't - because the optical viewfinder is offset from the lens. When you focus on things close up, the framing in the optical viewfinder is different to that seen by the lens. The white box shows what the lens is seeing. In digital viewfinder mode you don't need to do this, since the image is the one seen by the lens directly.

As you use the camera more, you'll get a feel for how much it will jump when focussing to different distances and will be able to anticipate it - it's a fixed relationship between the subject distance and the amount it jumps.

You can't - because the optical viewfinder is offset from the lens. When you focus on things close up, the framing in the optical viewfinder is different to that seen by the lens. The white box shows what the lens is seeing. In digital viewfinder mode you don't need to do this, since the image is the one seen by the lens directly.

As you use the camera more, you'll get a feel for how much it will jump when focussing to different distances and will be able to anticipate it - it's a fixed relationship between the subject distance and the amount it jumps.

Thanks brian... just another one of them quirks then.... :LOL:

Thanks brian... just another one of them quirks then.... :LOL:

Not so much a quirk, but one of the characteristics of a rangefinder style camera and the X100/s
Luckily, the X100/s shows you how the image is framed so you don't have to guess.
As Brian says, you'll soon get used to it
Allan

Delivery man rang the bell this morning, thought it was Tesco but it was guy from TNT with this.............

Battery on charge as I type :naughty:

Hi Marlie, the hood is a cheapy from e-bay (JJC ? about £12.00) and the filter is a Hoya slim frame UV(c) from Amazon about £14.99.

Ordered them before the camera arrived so that the filter went on straight away to try to keep some of the inevitable dust at bay.

Well it's been a week now and all I can say is WOW, this really is a lovely little camera, with a modicum of care the images are every bit as good as my 6D and sometimes better although that could be me (David Bailey I'm not)

It's not all been plain sailing however, as soon as she was delivered I screwed a UV filter into place and fitted a lens hood, during the first attempts at close ups/macros the camera locked up and I got the message (in bold red letters) "switch off camera and restart" or words to that effect, my first thought were f**k, I knew this was too cheap, after this happened half a dozen times I decided to ditch the filter and the hood and replace the front ring, da daa, no more lock ups, it would appear that the filter was restricting the lens movement as it tried to close focus, time to find out if there is an adapter ring to stop this.

As for everything else it's all gravy and I love it, with my DSLR and big lenses I always felt a bit conspicuous, a bit awkward and of course 2.5ks of kit hanging off me always made me a bit bit wary, well not any more, this may a lovely to look at item but to joe public it looks like an old camera, it may as well be a cardboard throwaway jobbie and as a consequence I now find myself wandering about to my hearts contents and taking pictures in places and ways that I would not have considered doing before.

The other day I lost track of time (I was supposed to meet the other half) and only realised when my battery went flat (yes I was late), it,s probably the only time I have ever been so engrossed/immersed in photography and that's just brilliant.

So if anyone reading this thread is trying to decide if one of these is worth it then from me it's a resounding yes, anyway I'm off out again, there are these old abandoned buildings dating back to WW2 on the coast that I need to go and have a look at.

I really love the X100s but i'm starting to miss wildlife photography with a longer lens.
I set myself the challenge of going a year restricted to 35mm, to see if it improved my photography. I definitely think it has, but there have been times where iv thought about selling it and getting a dslr again.
In an ideal world I could keep this for 35mm and buy a dslr and 400mm+ lens for wildlife! But as I have to choose between the two, I can't see myself letting the Fuji go!

View attachment 1045
View attachment 1047
View attachment 1046
View attachment 1049

Last edited:
Back