Fuji x100t vs x100s

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I am looking to get myself a used x100 and looking at the 100t or 100s. There is quite a difference in price between the two and I wondered if anyone had tried both and could let me know what the real world differences are especially in terms of image quality and AF speed.

Hi Dave, had all the x100 cameras, first, s and now have a t. The t was a disappointment after reading loads of hype about faster AF etc over the s. It is a better camera, button layout etc but the AF is barely faster than an s with all the firmware updates. My belief is that Fuji could have tweaked the t hardware further but chose not to. My XE2 is faster AF. It's not a moan, the X100t is a lovely camera and so long as you don't expect the superspeed AF that the marketing hype promised, it's fine. I'm a street photographer mostly and I find zone focusing better. I'm currently contemplating selling the t though as I mostly prefer the XE2, not decided. The image quality is the same as the s I believe. Lovely camera, light and the t is better thought out than predecessors.

That's really helpful thanks.

I am looking to use the camera mainly for street photography so your input is perfect. The s is much cheaper than the t so it looks like it might make sense to go for the s - especially given what you say regarding image quality. It's interesting what you say about AF speed - I have seen plenty of reviews criticizing the X-E2's AF but I have always found it perfectly good. Respect to Fuji for their regular firmware upgrades!

The rumour is that the X100F (Fourth) version will be out early in 2017 ... might make the older versions even cheaper?

The cameras do represents reasonable value and will drop but like always, when do you buy? The F will be overpriced initially and past experience shows the secondhand value drops pretty considerably with Fuji. Before you pull the trigger on the x100s/t I would explore the XE2 with 18/27 or new 23 f2 before just to be sure they don't meet your needs. Other than that the t is definitely the better of the 100 cameras but the s isn't a poor second. Manual focus is better for me on the t.

The cameras do represents reasonable value and will drop but like always, when do you buy? The F will be overpriced initially and past experience shows the secondhand value drops pretty considerably with Fuji. Before you pull the trigger on the x100s/t I would explore the XE2 with 18/27 or new 23 f2 before just to be sure they don't meet your needs. Other than that the t is definitely the better of the 100 cameras but the s isn't a poor second. Manual focus is better for me on the t.
Part of the appeal of the x100 is the OVF. I previously owned the original x100 and do miss the OVF option on my x-e2. That said I wouldn't get rid of the x-e2 in preference of an x100s/t.

A warning has been given for this post
**Mod edit**
You have been warned before about trying to trade outside classifieds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with @BlackCloud you can buy a 27mm pancake for your xe2 new for £170 from eglobal. I would try that setup before buying a x100. The 27mm go for similar money used so wouldn't cost you much to try and sell on if you don't get on with it.

Last edited:
Mods...

The OP stated he was after an x100, I just listed that I have one....

I've recently sold my 'walkabout' camera - an XE2 (and 18mm & 27mm lenses) and replaced them with an s/h X100s. I don't yet know whether I've made the right decision. The original X100 was a lovely camera - I had one and sold it but hankered after another - that's why I bought the X100s recently - it was an itch that just had to be scratched and the cost was a considerable saving over a s/h X100t - I didn't want to spend a lot on what was just a whim.

The AF on the X100s isn't as good as the XE2 (with latest firmware) but it's not bad at all - I'm surprised to hear that the X100t isn't a great improvement. My X100s is like a smaller version of my XPro1 and as such it just oozes character - I love it. However, neither the X100 series nor the XE series are pocketable cameras and if you're going to walk around with such a lump, might it not be better to use something like an XT1 and 18-55 zoom? - that's a far better set-up.

I've recently sold my 'walkabout' camera - an XE2 (and 18mm & 27mm lenses) and replaced them with an s/h X100s. I don't yet know whether I've made the right decision. The original X100 was a lovely camera - I had one and sold it but hankered after another - that's why I bought the X100s recently - it was an itch that just had to be scratched and the cost was a considerable saving over a s/h X100t - I didn't want to spend a lot on what was just a whim.

The AF on the X100s isn't as good as the XE2 (with latest firmware) but it's not bad at all - I'm surprised to hear that the X100t isn't a great improvement. My X100s is like a smaller version of my XPro1 and as such it just oozes character - I love it. However, neither the X100 series nor the XE series are pocketable cameras and if you're going to walk around with such a lump, might it not be better to use something like an XT1 and 18-55 zoom? - that's a far better set-up.
I do understand what you say. I looked at an X100T in Jessops today and was surprised at its size - I don't remember my X100 being that big :)

I like the idea of a fast 35mm equivalent (my favourite focal length) and on reflection maybe the ovf won't have a great deal of practical use for me. I am now wondering whether to trade my 10-24 for an x100s/t or maybe the 23 1.4. I got the 10-24 specifically for a photo trip and may not have a great deal of need for it now.

I do understand what you say. I looked at an X100T in Jessops today and was surprised at its size - I don't remember my X100 being that big :)

I like the idea of a fast 35mm equivalent (my favourite focal length) and on reflection maybe the ovf won't have a great deal of practical use for me. I am now wondering whether to trade my 10-24 for an x100s/t or maybe the 23 1.4. I got the 10-24 specifically for a photo trip and may not have a great deal of need for it now.

Horses for courses - I have the 10-24 almost permanently attached to my XPro1 as a dedicated landscape set up and as I do a lot of walking, it's almost perfect - it:s a beauty of a lens and probably the one I would keep over all others. I bought my X100s as a walkabout camera for when I didn't want to carry a big lump. My XT1 is used for everything else with the 18-55 & 55-200.

The XF23 f1.4 is stellar, its as sharp at F2. as an X100 is anywhere, and at F8 it leaves theX100 for dust.......

The XF23 f1.4 is stellar, its as sharp at F2. as an X100 is anywhere, and at F8 it leaves theX100 for dust.......
100% agree here and even though the x100 is a great camera it's hardly compact which is why mine was ditched a while back, replaced with an XPro2 eventually so I get all the greatness of the new 24mp sensor, the facility to swap lenses and a set up that's not too far in design and purpose to the X100. Problem is your talking £1400 for a second hand set up with 23mm and over £2k new!

I think the 23 1.4 is the way to go. I have read a few reviews and the fact it seems to be sharp even wide open swings it for me. I am very happy with the X-E2 and it makes sense to go for the lens rather than an X100 because I can still use the focal length if/when I upgrade the X-E2

Last edited:
I think the 23 1.4 is the way to go. I have read a few reviews and the fact it seems to be sharp even wide open swings it for me. I am very happy with the X-E2 and it makes sense to go for the lens rather than an X100 because I can still use the focal length if/when I upgrade the X-E2

Sooooooo - I seem to have gone full circle!

A friend has offered me a very nice X100T together with a WCL at a really good price so it looks like I will be joinging the X100 fold again. I still have my X-E2 with the 18-55 and 55-200 and I think the X100 will make an excellent complimentary outfit alongside this.

Sooooooo - I seem to have gone full circle!

A friend has offered me a very nice X100T together with a WCL at a really good price so it looks like I will be joinging the X100 fold again. I still have my X-E2 with the 18-55 and 55-200 and I think the X100 will make an excellent complimentary outfit alongside this.

That's the thing about X100. Resistance is futile.
Nice one Dave

So I now have my lovely black x100t with the wide angle converter. Using it reminds me of the Leia M8 I had but with AF and without the horrendous cost. I am very taken with the quality of the converter and may now look to get a TCL converter as the three focal lengths will cover a big percentage of my needs.

So I now have my lovely black x100t with the wide angle converter. Using it reminds me of the Leia M8 I had but with AF and without the horrendous cost. I am very taken with the quality of the converter and may now look to get a TCL converter as the three focal lengths will cover a big percentage of my needs.

I've got both converters Dave. Although I rarely use the TCL I'm always impressed at picture quality from them both.
The wide is almost always mounted.

The trouble is that it's such a faff to keep changing those converters - not just the screwing and unscrewing of the converter but the delving into the menu to change the setting. When you're out and about, it is easy to forget and end up shooting with the wrong setting.

Also, the size of the camera changes significantly so you'd really just as well use your XE2 & 18-55. I've been there and done all that. Now I just use the X100 as it was intended - as standard.

Last edited:
BTW, there are a couple of converters for sale in the classifieds if you're interested

I saw the ones in the classifieds forum but I need a black one unfortunately

The trouble is that it's such a faff to keep changing those converters - not just the screwing and unscrewing of the converter but the delving into the menu to change the setting. When you're out and about, it is easy to forget and end up shooting with the wrong setting.

Also, the size of the camera changes significantly so you'd really just as well use your XE2 & 18-55. I've been there and done all that. Now I just use the X100 as it was intended - as standard.

I do agree but there is something intangible I really like about the X100T. I will definitely be keeping my X-E2 because of the flexibility it offers.

Back