Fuji X70 Owners Thread

How you finding the x70 Colin ? Since I've bought mine I've not used my X100T at all. I think it'll be making its way onto the classifieds shortly. I was in Newcastle for a couple of days this week, and I had a walk around with my X70, took a few shots and was quite impressed. It's so pocketable.

To be honest I've hardly used it yet. It's still slightly bulky for a jeans pocket but now that the colder weather is coming it should be with me at all times in a jacket pocket. I've got a planned trip to Amsterdam in a few weeks so this was bought with that in mind rather than an X100 which I've taken before. I've always liked having an X100 for the leaf shutter combined with flash and now I can have that in a smaller body.

Yesterday was a walk around some hospital grounds where I had just dropped a friend off. After the initial urge to hold the camera to my eye it was great fun to play around with some low angle shots in the fallen leaves.

A few shots from a business trip to Newcastle this week, I need to set the iso settings better as 1/60 minimum speed is too slow for my shaky old hands, some of the shots are a bit soft due to camera shake. OIS is a mixed blessing, you do become reliant on it.

DSCF9962 by Jimgallaher, on Flickr

DSCF0232 by Jimgallaher, on Flickr

DSCF0142 by Jimgallaher, on Flickr

DSCF9935 by Jimgallaher, on Flickr

DSCF9920 by Jimgallaher, on Flickr

DSCF9945 by Jimgallaher, on Flickr

DSCF9960 by Jimgallaher, on Flickr

A few shots from a business trip to Newcastle this week, I need to set the iso settings better as 1/60 minimum speed is too slow for my shaky old hands, some of the shots are a bit soft due to camera shake. OIS is a mixed blessing, you do become reliant on it.

DSCF9935 by Jimgallaher, on Flickr

Love that shot.

I've got mine set with a minimum of 125/s and have so far just left it on auto, for this wide a lens I would usually allow slower speeds but with no viewfinder it's harder to hold the camera steady.

The firework shots ar amazing!

I use the X70 for a while now as my second camera and I really like it! Before I had the Ricoh GR, which was also very good, but I didn't fully get to it. The two seem similar but in the details they are very different. The X70 is also a very nice camera for street photography, very fast and responsive. Some time ago I went for a small streetphoto workshop with it and got some decent results (link to album).

Concerning the viewfinder I tried a few hotshoe options and compared them in some product shots. I went for the Sigma VF-11 which is very compact and light, but it still gives a nice bright image. Here are the pictures:

160920151730-PRO21017dt
by madSec, on Flickr

160920153014-PRO21036dt
by madSec, on Flickr

160920152923-PRO21035dt
by madSec, on Flickr

160920152844-PRO21034dt
by madSec, on Flickr

I use the X70 for a while now as my second camera and I really like it! Before I had the Ricoh GR, which was also very good, but I didn't fully get to it. The two seem similar but in the details they are very different. The X70 is also a very nice camera for street photography, very fast and responsive. Some time ago I went for a small streetphoto workshop with it and got some decent results (link to album).

Concerning the viewfinder I tried a few hotshoe options and compared them in some product shots. I went for the Sigma VF-11 which is very compact and light, but it still gives a nice bright image. Here are the pictures:

160920151730-PRO21017dt
by madSec, on Flickr

160920153014-PRO21036dt
by madSec, on Flickr

160920152923-PRO21035dt
by madSec, on Flickr

160920152844-PRO21034dt
by madSec, on Flickr

Looks cool. Oddly I prefer this in black and the x100t in silver.

160920151730-PRO21017dt
by madSec, on Flickr

160920153014-PRO21036dt
by madSec, on Flickr

160920152923-PRO21035dt
by madSec, on Flickr

160920152844-PRO21034dt
by madSec, on Flickr
The lack of a viewfinder is the one thing that would prevent me buying the X70 - I like the look of the Sigma but at £119 (Amazon) it does make the economics unattractive - to me anyway.

The lack of a viewfinder is the one thing that would prevent me buying the X70 - I like the look of the Sigma but at £119 (Amazon) it does make the economics unattractive - to me anyway.

It does take some getting used to. But the articulating touch screen is fantastic for landscape shooting.

These hotshoe viewfinders seem always overpriced for what they do, the Sigma VF is even one of the cheaper ones. I bought all the viewfinders used on ebay or in forums (and sold the other two there again as well), the offers are quite rare and need some patience though.

For me the question was if I buy the X70 or the X100t to replace my old original X100, in the end I chose to keep the X100 and buy the X70 additionally. For me the two cameras are quite different, the lack of viewfinder would be an issue for me too, but I use the X70 mainly for streetphotos were I really like the articulating screen and the wider lens, also the camera is much smaller and cheaper. Therefore the X70 makes a great second camera to complement a larger main camera. On the contrary I used my old X100 as a main camera for quite a while and it worked really well, the 35mm equivalent focal length is better for general use, the viewfinder is great and the larger size makes it more comfortable to operate, which doesn't mean that for many the X100 would be the perfect second camera :).

I've been a long-term Canon DSLR owner and decided to purchase the X70 as a lighter weight travel camera.
I've owned it for around 3 months and my overall impression is that it is a fantastic little camera.

It took some getting used to, due to the lack of view finder, but once you adapt the tilting screen is super useful.
I'm still astounded by how good the jpegs are straight out the camera.

Does anyone have the wide angle lens convertor (WCL-X70)? I'm thinking of purchasing and have read some good things.

Here's an example shot which I took the other day. It's pretty much the file straight out the camera using the Velvia film simulation and a slight edit in Snapseed on my phone. There's plenty more example shots on my Instagram account too www.instagram.com/eddcope

Autumn Colours by Edd Cope, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just had difficulty finding this thread again - so lets bump it to the top

Yeah I have used the digital zoom occasionally, I'm impressed, whatever software fuji uses seems to work, doesn't seem to impact IQ at all.

Awesome cheers @jimgallaher my dad is after a x100 but I'm going to get him to go into jessops and try a x70 see what he prefers I reckon

I have both and at the moment I'm using the X70 way more than my X100T, it's way more pocketable, the tilting screen just works, the X70 is a great little camera.

@owenb One thing to know about the digital zoom however is that it doesn't work when recording RAW files. Even without using RAW processing on PC the internal RAW converter of the Fuji cameras is very nice to have. Therefore I never used the digital zoom on my X70, but I find the X70's lens a very good one for later cropping, which is probably why the digital zoom works so well.
Like mentioned before I find the X100 a much better universal camera if your father really wants to photograph a lot, for general use the viewfinder is just a joy and for different focal length there are two very good (and quite affordable) lens converters available. That said, the X100(t) is much more expensive and if your father wants a camera that is always with him and is more point-and-shot style the X70 would be the better choice.

Last edited:
I was thinking about getting the X100T and RX100 III to complement it when I want something pocketable, but reading up on the X70 more, it's a larger sensor with better IQ and low light capabilities, great JPEGs, almost the same size and similar in price.
Add on the wide-angle adaptor and it's a very versatile camera. I barely shoot past 40mm anyway.
So I think I'll get the X70 first, and then I'll see if I miss 35mm and the viewfinder enough to maybe think about getting the X100T.
Cheapest place to get the X70? How much is it going for second hand? I don't have access to classifieds just yet.

I've recently bought an Rx100M2 for my daughter (Thanks Owen) while it's a decent camera, it's not even in the same ballpark as the X70, lowlight performance isn't great, IQ on the X70 is light years ahead and it's way faster, there's a discrepancy in price, but imho the X70 is worth every penny, it's an X-T1 in a pocketable package !
I bought mine from the Fuji refurb store, with the paypal12 code it was £400

Last edited:
I was thinking about getting the X100T and RX100 III to complement it when I want something pocketable, but reading up on the X70 more, it's a larger sensor with better IQ and low light capabilities, great JPEGs, almost the same size and similar in price.
Add on the wide-angle adaptor and it's a very versatile camera. I barely shoot past 40mm anyway.
So I think I'll get the X70 first, and then I'll see if I miss 35mm and the viewfinder enough to maybe think about getting the X100T.
Cheapest place to get the X70? How much is it going for second hand? I don't have access to classifieds just yet.

I've been looking a little myself lately although I suspect I'll wait until prices are lower. Used on ebay seems to be anywhere between £350 and £450. Annoyingly one was advertised last night as buy it now for £350 and I should have probably bought it but dithered. It's gone now of course.

I've recently bought an Rx100M2 for my daughter (Thanks Owen) while it's a decent camera, it's not even in the same ballpark as the X70, lowlight performance isn't great, IQ on the X70 is light years ahead and it's way faster, there's a discrepancy in price, but imho the X70 is worth every penny, it's an X-T1 in a pocketable package !

I sold my X70 to fund the XT2 and ordered a Sony RX100 II from wex used yesterday. I've had the RX100 ii before and when I compared them to the X70 pictures I had taken previously they just weren't in the same league (well they wouldn't be would they as smaller sensor).

Must have been fate as I found a used X70 last night which i will have next week.

Yeah I've subscribed to them to notify me when a refurb becomes available so I think I'll wait until that comes up. Otherwise I'll just keep an eye out on eBay.

I've been looking a little myself lately although I suspect I'll wait until prices are lower. Used on ebay seems to be anywhere between £350 and £450. Annoyingly one was advertised last night as buy it now for £350 and I should have probably bought it but dithered. It's gone now of course.

Looking on eBay atm, there's a silver one going for £390 on BIN. I really like the silver X100T but for X70 I think I prefer the black.

Yeah I've subscribed to them to notify me when a refurb becomes available so I think I'll wait until that comes up. Otherwise I'll just keep an eye out on eBay.

Looking on eBay atm, there's a silver one going for £390 on BIN. I really like the silver X100T but for X70 I think I prefer the black.

Don't put too much trust in the email notifications. Keep checking every day, Thursdays seem to be a good day for stocks.

I sold my X70 to fund the XT2 and ordered a Sony RX100 II from wex used yesterday. I've had the RX100 ii before and when I compared them to the X70 pictures I had taken previously they just weren't in the same league (well they wouldn't be would they as smaller sensor).

Must have been fate as I found a used X70 last night which i will have next week.

That was a rather good buy you got last night Andy.

Don't put too much trust in the email notifications. Keep checking every day, Thursdays seem to be a good day for stocks.

Ok thanks, I will do! Do they usually have some each week? Or is it like wait a month or something?

Any item can appear at any time. When I'm looking for something I tend to check every few hours, just have the page bookmarked on my phone.
The email system doesn't trigger until something has been in stock for a few hours or possibly daily so it means that things are sold before the email gets sent.
The last sentence is me surmising from my experiences. I'm still waiting for an email about the 16mm lens from them since June, meanwhile I've bought one from them, used it for a couple of months and sold it again.

Ok, I'll leave the page open and refresh every hour or so. Any accessories that are worthwhile getting? Anything like the red shutter button I see on the X100 series? What's a nice leather strap that people have been using?

Shutter button is fine as it is, it doesn't have the internal threading that the X100's have anyway. I wouldn't bother with a leather strap either, it will only increase bulk. A very slim wrist strap for security means it will still easily pop in a pocket.

(y) Alright thanks. Just got to play the waiting game now! :sulk:

I've a black Gordys wrist strap with red thread on mine, the long version, compliments the black X70 perfectly, it's the first camera I've not had a shoulder strap on as it's very pocketable.

It wasn't this one was it? 1479507394494.png

Back