Fuji xh2s 150-600 v canon r5 100-500

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
My advice was canon but have any of you worked with either or both ? Asking for someone going on a safari and can't decide :oops: :$

My advice was canon but have any of you worked with either or both ? Asking for someone going on a safari and can't decide :oops: :$
I haven't worked with either, but having watched a few videos about Safaris, lens choice seems to vary with safari, and a long lens isn't always the best choice. If it’s a photo safari, the advice I have seen is to always ask the organiser. The answer will also depend of what other lenses are available and bearing in mind you probably want to avoid changing lenses.

The fuji is a crop sensor, so compared to the Canon the short end of the zoom is starting at 225mm equivalent, and some safari reports I've seen, mention they ended up using a 70-200mm zoom for nearly the entire trip, and barely touched the longer lens(es).

The Canon at full frame is going to give you twice the angle of view at the short end than the Fuji, and still let you crop down to around APS format, with a decent resolution at the long end, to roughly match the 600mm long end of the Fuji.

Based purely on lens versatility, I would opt for the Canon. I don't know if there might be other features that would favour one of them over the other.

Neither combination.

Fuji X-H2s with the 100-400mm.
This. Smaller, lighter, way cheaper and the images will be just as good as the Canon. And with their current stance on the RF mount and third party lenses, Canon isn't a company I'd want to support at the moment anyway. I moved from Canon to Fuji and I'm very happy.

agree with Graham definitely ask the organiser it makes a big difference if the jeep is allowed to go off the main track/road to get closer then it will be easier to decide
I normally take 2 bodies , full frame one with 70-200 and one with 300 2.8 plus 1.4 and 2.0 extender , in places where the jeep has to stay on the road I was mostly at 600 mm where it was possible to get closer the 70-200 was perfect
I am not familiar with Fuji but found my R5 was perfect last time we went on safari the eye tracking focus helps a lot

One of my brother's took his son and daughter in law on a photo safari to Africa for three weeks. His son rented a long lens as he really didn't want to spend what the one he was looking at cost. Three weeks and not counting air fare to Africa the cost was $64,000! Spend the money if you think you'll have use for it later on. Compared to the trip cost, it's pennies! I have a few of the photo's the nephew took over there with the long lens and they are really special! if you can't at least afford to rent the lens you want, you can't afford the trip in the first place!

Last edited:
I'm a Fuji guy, but would probably go for Canon in this case, assuming the price difference didn't matter.

If there is no rush, both companies offer free 48-hour test drives.

Back