Fuji xt-3 sensor dirt

My usually not too bad Panasonic has been a bit mucky lately. Been looking at my photos from last week in Holland and dust spots are noticeable.
Could be the warm weather and increased airborne pollen, swab and drop of Eclipse soon had it sorted

My usually not too bad Panasonic has been a bit mucky lately. Been looking at my photos from last week in Holland and dust spots are noticeable.
Could be the warm weather and increased airborne pollen, swab and drop of Eclipse soon had it sorted
Cheers for that. I've hardly changed the lens at all and I'm shocked how dirty it is...swabs ordered,cheers for response

Even being as careful as possible if you change lenses outdoors there is nothing you can to prevent some dust getting in there. I would say most sensors will show dust spots when stopped down to F16 or beyond - just get a decent APSC cleaning kit, it's always worth having, takes a couple minutes to get a sensor spotless.

Same here, noticed a dozen little spots in my macro images where I'm stopping down to f11+ can't see them at all wider than that but it still needs a scrub.

Even being as careful as possible if you change lenses outdoors there is nothing you can to prevent some dust getting in there. I would say most sensors will show dust spots when stopped down to F16 or beyond - just get a decent APSC cleaning kit, it's always worth having, takes a couple minutes to get a sensor spotless.
Yea I've been through it over the years with my dslrs, maybe it's because it's my first experience of mirrorless, I suppose it's one of the drawbacks of such a system

Same here, noticed a dozen little spots in my macro images where I'm stopping down to f11+ can't see them at all wider than that but it still needs a scrub.
Think its because the pollen is sticky and dust sticks to it so a rocket blower or in built system can't clear it.
IBIS sensors wobble all over the shop, makes cleaning a bit more problematical, clean again for now

Yea I've been through it over the years with my dslrs, maybe it's because it's my first experience of mirrorless, I suppose it's one of the drawbacks of such a system
My old Canon 5D was a rotter for dust, if anything I find non IBIS mirrorless the easiest to clean.
The sensor is right there, no chance of catching other dust ridden bits on the way in

Last edited:
Think its because the pollen is sticky and dust sticks to it so a rocket blower or in built system can't clear it.
IBIS sensors wobble all over the shop, makes cleaning a bit more problematical, clean again for now

My old Canon 5D was a rotter for dust, if anything I find non IBIS mirrorless the easiest to clean.
The sensor is right there, no chance of catching other dust ridden bits on the way in

I've cleaned IBIS sensors a few times, you do have to be a tad more careful but not so much that I would hold back on giving it the usual pressing. If you stick to one definitive swipe right across at a time, don't hesitate, then the sensor just goes along with you

I'm hoping the same

Just remembering all the bits in the DSLR viewfinders too, all sorts including the odd insect.
Never did really know how to get rid of it, focus screens were delicate and mirror box was full of muck

I've cleaned IBIS sensors a few times, you do have to be a tad more careful but not so much that I would hold back on giving it the usual pressing. If you stick to one definitive swipe right across at a time, don't hesitate, then the sensor just goes along with you

Exactly, sort of springs back after the swipe across.

Is there not a "special" sensor cleaning option somewhere in the menu to disable IBIS?

Is there not a "special" sensor cleaning option somewhere in the menu to disable IBIS?
Never seen it on my Panasonic or Olympus, not sure what it could do.

Not on my camera, or at least not that I know of.

The only control is to turn IBIS off as in it will not compensate for movement. But it does make wonder if like a HDD it "parks"........though fairly sure I recall reading that it can still physically moved if touched?

The only control is to turn IBIS off as in it will not compensate for movement. But it does make wonder if like a HDD it "parks"........though fairly sure I recall reading that it can still physically moved if touched?

I think I did this last time I cleaned mine but it still moved. It's not as bad as you might imagine, it just shifts sideways as you swipe with the swab, you just need to be confident about your motion. One swipe each side of a swab with 2 drops of cleaning fluid on it is usually enough, if there's stubborn spots it might take 2-3 swabs but you get a bunch in the kits

Just noticed this thread. Previously had an X-T2 for well over a year, never had any issues with sensor dust. Brand new X-T3 and I was noticing dust spots within days. Have recently cleaned the sensor but haven't changed my shooting habits since I owned the X-T2 and thought it odd how quickly the issue manifested with the X-T3.

As with Rich above my 5D was simply awful for sensor contamination as were the Canon 300D, 10D and 20D I had but the 5D was the worst. I could clean that camera, take a shot and test it again and find it was contaminated again. Cameras these days are IMO better made and sensors these days IMO have much better anti contaminant coatings.

I don't worry about it now even though I do a lot of lens changes even changing lenses on the beach or in a forest as IMO that's what the kit is for. I often test for contamination at the minimum aperture before putting my gear away and clean if necessary which is nowhere near as often as with those old Canon DSLR's. Once you get the confidence to clean the sensor it's a hassle of course but nothing to be afraid of.

Back