Beginner Fujifilm focus problem

Edit My Images
No
Hi
Any idea why my AF mode is greyed out on fujifilm xt20, I’ve turned the main auto button off on the top of camera so I can practice shooting shutter priority but it’s knocked the focus off too and I can’t put it onto autofocus?
Thanks

Might be a silly suggestion but is it on AF on the actual lens and is autofocus switched on within the menu?

What is the S/C/M switch on the front pointing to?

Which lens is it?
Might be a silly suggestion but is it on AF on the actual lens and is autofocus switched on within the menu?
Fuji lenses don't usually have an AF switch, although it could be a third-party lens.

I’ve tried it on all three on the front, c, s and m. The lens is 18-55 and doesn’t seem to have an AF switch on lens. Thanks for help

It is difficult to see what you have done to be honest but like the advice given the main culprit would normally be the S/C/M/ switch. You need to be on S ideally for the time being if you are taking still images but i would also set the lens to A and the shutter speed dial to A and control the aperture from the the control wheels. I would try and master the depth of field first and then move onto looking at various shutter speeds before anything else. Iam assuming you have tried setting the top switch back to auto ? Does it then focus again ?

The 18-55 doesn't have an AF switch, it is controlled by the S/C/M switch.

Thanks so it sounds like maybe a problem with the camera as when I try on S/C/M the option to change from MF is greyed out. Unless I put the top button onto auto and effectively put the whole camera into automatic which I’m trying to avoid

Thanks so it sounds like maybe a problem with the camera as when I try on S/C/M the option to change from MF is greyed out. Unless I put the top button onto auto and effectively put the whole camera into automatic which I’m trying to avoid

It may not be the camera it could be some confusion abut what the settings are and what they do we have all been there at some point. I would switch everything off unmount the lens and then reattach it again. Move the switch on the lens to A and turn the shutter speed dial to A on top of the camera. Turn the S/C/M switch to S and then turn on the camera. What happens then when you try and focus ? If this doesn't work I would then go into the menu and reset everything back to the defaults and try again.

Last edited:
On my X-T2, when you are in manual focus mode, the "AF MODE" option in the menu is greyed out, but displays "MF" in yellow on the right side. This behaviour is the same, with or without a lens fitted.

Are you running the latest firmware? It should be v2.1

What does it do in the other modes? The fact it's greyed out suggests a setting rather than a fault to me, is it on continious shooting or single shot? And what does it do in live view rather than viewfinder (if it has a viewfinder) I'd be guessing and say it's greyed out because it's set to some feature like focus stacking or something.

Check that the switch below the ISO dial is set to S-my XT-1 does not show the AF points when set to panorama.
Its very easy to move this switch when changing ISO

On my X-T2, when you are in manual focus mode, the "AF MODE" option in the menu is greyed out, but displays "MF" in yellow on the right side. This behaviour is the same, with or without a lens fitted.

Are you running the latest firmware? It should be v2.1
That’s the same as mine so is that what it should be doing? I was hoping you could still choose to use autofocus whilst having manual control over aperture or shutterspeed. Thanks

You can have autofocus and manual exposure (I used that this morning). However, with the focus switch set to "S", you should not have "MF" displayed next to it. When you are in shooting mode, do you also have "MF" displayed in the lower right of the viewfinder?

Does anything change when you move the front focus switch at all? It sounds to me like there may be a problem with that.

Another thing to check is that the touchscreen settings aren't interfering with anything.

Appreciate your help, yes MF displays on the viewfinder too.

AFL which I believe is back focus seems to be working

Took it to a camera shop and they were also confused!

It sounds like it may need to go back to Fuji - fortunately, their service centre in the UK is really good, and can usually turn things around within a week for a fixed price.

Appreciate your help, yes MF displays on the viewfinder too.

AFL which I believe is back focus seems to be working

Took it to a camera shop and they were also confused!
Can you clarify this.
Have you checked that the shutter button is set to focus and release the shutter and not just to release the shutter? In one combination of buttons and dials the shutter button wont focus the camera.

Have you done a factory reset as this will unset any random setting in the camera.

I once spent 2 hours trying to understand why the bloody thing wouldnt trigger the flash only to remember it had to be in mechanical shutter mode.

Back