FujiFilm GFX - Fuji unveil a medium format camera

Edit My Images
No
Wow... At this very moment the mirrorless Fujifilm GFX (throwback to the old film GF cameras :) ) is being unveiled to the world :)

Lenses will be G mount - and G format sensor 51.4 MP - Focal plane shutter

...and a range of lenses for 2017 Fuji engineers have been hard at work

...and isn't much bigger - if any bigger than a FF pro DSLR

Last edited:
Plus Brexit import tax :) Expensive initially, but not bad if you are a pro earning your keep from such stuff.

Just noticed this on Engadget. Looks very interesting and not to heavy either.

One for when I win the lottery although frankly I'm not sure I'm even close to needing or benefitting from medium format!

I still shoot a bit of medium format film. There was quite a leap in quality 'back in the day's hen you jumped from 35mm film to 6x6. I'd guess it would be the same, you think you have superb quality digital APS-C or FF, but then you move up and you see the difference. It won't suit everyone, but we'll be drooling when we see these images coming from Fuji ambassadors given the first cameras, maybe someone like Damien Lovegrove? It's the landscapes that will be interesting for quality although more my interest will be the portability of that camera. It even looks useable out on the street / urban settings. I'll get mine about 2021, a well worn third hand example :)

I'm not motivated by landscapes, but yes would be awesome for street and portraits with its portability. Although I've seen little about the weight of the lenses.

Damn, should have hung off buying my X-Pro 2... :eek: Well maybe not, but still a nice looking bit of kit.

If it's a "Focal plane shutter" it won't have the same sync speed of the X1D of 1/2000th with their leaf shutters built into the lenses right?

If it's a "Focal plane shutter" it won't have the same sync speed of the X1D of 1/2000th with their leaf shutters built into the lenses right?
I believe the sync speed of the new GFX is a lowly 1/125th

And another MF digital camera although the manufacturers do seem to be varying the interpretation of MF a little.

Nice though these cameras are to read about I can't envisage ever even for a moment thinking of buying one. Not at anything like these prices. And actually on the subject of price as many seem to berate Sony for the pricing of their CSC A7 series bodies and lenses presumably partly because mirrorless cameras are small and for girls and should therefore be even cheaper than they are I wonder if there'll be similar angst over these small MF camera and lens prices.

With the gradual move to bigger sensors in what we'd see as more traditional cameras even if they are mirrorless and phones moving ever up market and the rise of action cameras too I wonder where the market will be in 10 to 20 years time, I suppose no one really knows.

I believe the sync speed of the new GFX is a lowly 1/125th
That's probably about where curtain technology is at the moment and matches the similarly sized Pentax 645 sync speed. It's a curtain speed of 4.12mm/mS as opposed to 6mm/mS for the 20% narrower blades of a 35mm body.

Bob

And another MF digital camera although the manufacturers do seem to be varying the interpretation of MF a little.

I've seen a lot of discussion/rage about this elsewhere. Putting aside the fact that it's just a label and doesn't really matter, I thought Medium Format always just referred to anything between 35mm/Full Frame and Large Format?

I've seen a lot of discussion/rage about this elsewhere. Putting aside the fact that it's just a label and doesn't really matter, I thought Medium Format always just referred to anything between 35mm/Full Frame and Large Format?
I'd happily agree and it doesn't matter to me but I'm sure this will rumble on in forums across the net.

There was a time when I thought that APS-C was the best compromise of bulk and weight to quality for general and handheld use but I think I'd expand that to anything from MFT through APS-C and onto the FF mirrorless cameras now and many people would include sub MFT systems too. It'll be interesting to see in the future how big and indeed as quality improves how small too a format can be in sensor size rather than bulk and weight size to capture the interest and money of the general walk about enthusiast market.

Fuji have made a really nice job of the design of this by the look of it. It looks pretty good which is something pretty rare in the world of medium format.

I do have a bit of a reservation about the benefits of something like this over a 35mm digital camera though. Maybe I'm a bit blinded by medium format film where the negative size starts at 60mm x 45mm. That's more than 3x the size (in terms of area) of 35mm and it only gets bigger from there. This Fuji sensor is 43.8mm x 32.9mm. That's only about 1.7x the sensor size of a 35mm camera. That's much smaller leap in sensor size than going from APS-C to FX.

So I'm slightly sceptical but I am interested to see what it can do. I guess from Fuji's point of view, it differentiates their offerings from the Canon and Nikon crew and might just give them a much needed USP at the high end assuming the price doesn't drift too close to existing Digital MF offerings.

Considering that people have been putting these size sensors in various bodies and calling it medium format for a decade or so now, I agree with you and think that the digital MF format label is pretty well-decided aty this stage. Considering the range of sizes in film (which I know you're well aware of) I always thought of MF as being a very inclusive community! I bet the majority of the people complaining have either never shot traditional MF film and are just looking for their day's internet anger.

With regards to the camera, I think it looks great - I'd snap it up if I won some cash, but won't have the money for it any time soon! I love the inverted LCD - I hope they keep it, it's a small but classy touch.

Just throwing it out there, but can you practically use a camera such as this for whatever the hell you like? This looks very portable, but I've seen many, many comments such as 'nobody would use this for street photography', but why not, if you had the funds and couldn't care less what others think?

As far as I can tell it has autofocus (presumably not quick, but still) and functions pretty much like any other DSLR.

I see it as being perfectly capable as a landscape, portrait, street camera to be quite honest.
There will be someone out there who will probably try and use it for wildlife and motorsport etc and probably with a degree of success....and a little dash of luck too.

If someone wans to pay almost 10 grand for it and then use it to shoot what people believe MF shouldnt be used for but they get the results anyway then i say kudos to them for doing so.
As you say people should worry about there own afairs rather than try to disuade those of others.

Just throwing it out there, but can you practically use a camera such as this for whatever the hell you like? This looks very portable, but I've seen many, many comments such as 'nobody would use this for street photography', but why not, if you had the funds and couldn't care less what others think?
I'm seriously wondering whether it would be a good camera to stick on some of the custom microscopes here at work. It's within the price range of some of the scientific cameras we use and the combination of pixel number and sensor size could lead to some interesting applications.

Think my computer would need replacing to process such large files at a reasonable speed, not that I could afford it anyway

Think my computer would need replacing to process such large files at a reasonable speed, not that I could afford it anyway

Have you tried working with the 42.2mp (80mb) from the Sony A7RII...... I am need of a new MacBook Pro ASAP! :D lol

Have you tried working with the 42.2mp (80mb) from the Sony A7RII...... I am need of a new MacBook Pro ASAP! :D lol

Sounds to me like a good reason to get a new laptop, my pc is OK up to about 22mp raw files, but wouldn't want to go much higher than that

As far as I can tell it has autofocus (presumably not quick, but still) and functions pretty much like any other DSLR.

From the pictures I've seen it looks bulky but people are saying it's the size of a DSLR so maybe it's just one of those shapes that looks big?

Looking at pictures of the Hassy in people hands that doesn't look prohibitably humungous :D and I expect the Fuji to be quite a neat camera in hand if not in pictures.

DSC09651_fujifilmhandson2.jpeg

well that didn't work, so go here https://3.img-dpreview.com/files/p/E~TS590x393~articles/0310515510/DSC09651_fujifilmhandson2.jpeg

Last edited:
There will be someone out there who will probably try and use it for wildlife and motorsport etc and probably with a degree of success....and a little dash of luck too.

If someone wans to pay almost 10 grand for it and then use it to shoot what people believe MF shouldnt be used for but they get the results anyway then i say kudos to them for doing so.
As you say people should worry about there own afairs rather than try to disuade those of others.

I'd guess that it will perform similarly to the P645Z. AF is fine and tracking works although it's never going to pull rank over something like a 1Dx. Here's a little horse racing in "MF"

p580052860-4.jpg
p2039344098-4.jpg

Would love one but the price tag will keep it out of justifiable reach for me :(

Back